• Hi folks im new to AA and I have the game on order but i’ve been reading the rules about combat and it’s got me a little confused about something.

Air battles…

Say I attack a territory with 2 bombers and 4 infantry, and the defender is defending with 2 fighters.  Can the attacker take hits against the infantry when the fighters try to intercept them?

This makes no sense.

THe attacker has got 4 infantry divisions and 2 bombers, fighters would try to take out the bombers no?  And the infantry would not be able to do anything, as they are infantry.

Or do I have it wrong.

Cheers

Tarkonis

• This is a game, not reality, so to make it payable, there are a few times when illogic reigns.  This case happens to be one of them.  To answer your question, each player always gets to choose his own caualties, which almost always means that he will take the least IPC value pieces as casualties.  Some exceptions would be when you want to capture a territory, , so you have to lose an air unit instead of your last land unit, or in naval battles - depending on the situation, you may wish to keep a lower IPC value unit occasionally.  In the House Rules section, you can find different house rules dealing with this situation, such as having dogfights, or armor hits go to armor units, infantry hits go to infantry units, etc…

• :mrgreen: Cheers for the clarification…

I guess i’ll have to start playing and judge it for myself.  I guess what i’m trying to find out is if actual WW2 strategies find there way into your thinking when playing the game.  Or are you consantly just thinking in terms of the game mechanics.

• Seeing as Bombers can hit sea units, even though they are clearly supposed to be strategic Bombers, pretty much yeah.

• @tarkonis:

:mrgreen: Cheers for the clarification…

I guess i’ll have to start playing and judge it for myself.  I guess what i’m trying to find out is if actual WW2 strategies find there way into your thinking when playing the game.  Or are you consantly just thinking in terms of the game mechanics.

Mainly game mechanics.  The aimis to win.  Use every rule to your advantage especially if you play the game vanilla (without house rules).

• ok thanks :) :roll:

• It was my understanding that a “battle” is about 6 months of combat.  So you can think of it as the fighters are intercepting invading ground troops, while the bombers might catch them off-guard a day or two later and bomb the fighter facility thus damaging the fighters, yada yada.  You can think of any scenario you want because these battles represent months and not a single attack instance.  :-D

• Concerning the time-scale of one turn this post may be interesting:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13547.0

:-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m