• When they said that D-day had cards, I was expecting & hoping for something along the lines of the commander cards that you purchase in Risk 2210. Then, of course, you use them on your turn to your advantage.

• I got ya, that makes sense.  While the DDay cards do add some variables to the game, they are not to the same sense of impact that the type of cards in 2210 are.  Thanks Strabala!

• That does lead to an interesting thought though. What if Axis & Allies had command cards similar to Risk 2210? I think it might add an interesting dimension to the game….

• definitely.  have to dig out and dust off 2210 to review the types of cards.  a more strategic level game like DDay could be a good place to test types of cards, since their effects would wouldn’t be so macro level of affecting an entire country…

• I do think that this A&A is not as good as Europe, Pacific, and Original. I dont know… maybe there is a strategy for Allies side.  :|

• I have D-Day and Bulge.  I must say I prefer the play in Bulge…has anyone tried to apply the Bulge rules to D-Day?

• Like D-Day.

Cant stand Bulge. Worst game by far.

• @squirecam:

Like D-Day.

Can you clarify why you like DDay and dislike Bulge?

P.S. Sorry if this duplicates anything already said in the “Bulge” folder.

• @banshee2200:

@squirecam:

Like D-Day.

1 - 12 sided dice
    2 - random casualties
    3 - ZOC rules
    4 - no real relation to other A&A versions

D-Day is simple, yes, but in a good way. Quick game, can be taught to new players. keeps A&A mechanics with attack/defense values and D6.

Thats it in a nutshell…

• @squirecam:

@banshee2200:

@squirecam:

Like D-Day.

1 - 12 sided dice
    2 - random casualties
    3 - ZOC rules
    4 - no real relation to other A&A versions

D-Day is simple, yes, but in a good way. Quick game, can be taught to new players. keeps A&A mechanics with attack/defense values and D6.

Thats it in a nutshell…

I think most of your don’t likes are why I do like it. It has a traditional wargame feel without being overly complicated. I’d like another game more in the vein of Bulge and Guadalcanal (leaning more to like Bulge.)

@Craig:

While I am not the biggest of fan of D-Day, I will say that I liked it better than Bulge.

Both have issues (and good points) but the main thing I disliked about Bulge is the WA player just getting rolled over.  I know that is what happened in the real battle, but it is just a tough sell for some to play a game in which your object is to not get run over too badly.

Craig

I have to agree with this in part. It is tough to get new players to want to play the Axis even when you tell them it is easier to play. If they are coming to BOTB from one of the global variants there is a bit of prejudice against being Axis.

However the Allies can win in BOTB but it is a much steeper learning curve to do so.

• I have aa50 and have played pac40. I still like dday and learned how to play on dday. Dday is a great beginners game and is still a good game to play everynow and again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m