• @Wilson2:

Actually you are wrong. The official FAQ/errata says nothing about heavy bombers. That is just the Larry Harris Bandaid fix.

Do you have the 2010 FAQ?  It has been updated.  So actually, YOU are wrong.  :-)

• '12

Somebody said simulators were for whimps.  A curious statement.  I use them.  I win about 95% of my games.  I play spring 1942.  If anybody wants to prove that by me using a sim I am more likely to lose then win, put up or :-)  I have had an open challenge for spring 42 for about a week, now is your chance to man up.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Somebody said simulators were for whimps.  A curious statement.  I use them.

He didn’t know what he was talking about.  And in AA50 you need them that much more, because a lot of battles have more units than in Spring 42 because of the NO’s.

Spring 42 is fun, but I’ve only played it a couple of times out of curiosity.  Why not play AA50?  You won’t have to wait a week or more for your challenge to be accepted.

• '12

Learning AA50 is on my to-do list, I feel somewhat out of place not knowing the ins and outs of that version.

• is anyone willing to post a mirror for the .JAR like on mediafire?  I can’t ever dl it from filefactory

• @gamerman01:

Try this, Stoney.  Download this file and then change the extension to .jar

thanks for trying, but it changing the file extension corrupted the file.  I’m pretty sure you can upload files to mediafire without an account, if you’re willing to try that?

• 2007 AAR League

Did anyone ever fix the bugs that I pointed out?

• Two bugs -

1. When defender has an AA gun, negative results seem to be showing up.  I get a row with -6IPCs, -3IPCs.

2. Also, when “must take territory” is (accidentally) checked with air only units against sea units, weird results happen.  I’m guessing that your calculator is running one run and then realizing that there aren’t any remaining sea units, and withdrawing.  I’m not sure.

To check, try running 2 fighters against 1 destroyer with “must take territory” unchecked and checked.  The results ought to be the same.

• @mcshoo:

1. When defender has an AA gun, negative results seem to be showing up.  I get a row with -6IPCs, -3IPCs.

That’s not really a bug, but I wish there was an option to deselect the IPC value of the AA unit.

6 IPC’s for the AA is deducted from the total IPC’s lost.  So if you had no losses, your losses would be -6.  If you lose one infantry, -3.  2 infantry, 0.

I wish you could keep the calculator from factoring the 6 IPC’s in, so it is an idea for an improvement, but not really a bug because the maker of the calculator intended it that way.

Another improvement would be for the calc to automatically uncheck or ignore the must take territory when the naval battle is selected, or, even better, if there are no ground units.

Unfortunately, the person who can change this calculator hasn’t checked in here for awhile……  :-(

• @gamerman01:

@mcshoo:

That’s not really a bug, but I wish there was an option to deselect the IPC value of the AA unit.

6 IPC’s for the AA is deducted from the total IPC’s lost.  So if you had no losses, your losses would be -6.  If you lose one infantry, -3.  2 infantry, 0.

I wish you could keep the calculator from factoring the 6 IPC’s in, so it is an idea for an improvement, but not really a bug because the maker of the calculator intended it that way.

Another improvement would be for the calc to automatically uncheck or ignore the must take territory when the naval battle is selected, or, even better, if there are no ground units.

Unfortunately, the person who can change this calculator hasn’t checked in here for awhile……  :-(

I know a very small bit of Java, and could possibly fix some bugs if someone uploaded the file to mediafire for me to download.

• @gamerman01:

I’ve never used anyone else’s .jar.  I’m assuming I can open up the code if I have a Java development kit, right?

• @Stoney229:

@gamerman01:

Unfortunately, the person who can change this calculator hasn’t checked in here for awhile……  :-(

I’ve never used anyone else’s .jar.  I’m assuming I can open up the code if I have a Java development kit, right?

Hey, Stoney, that would be awesome.  I would rather e-mail you the file than try to upload it on mediafire.

Just PM me your e-mail address, or e-mail me your e-mail address.  My e-mail address should be in my profile if you click my username.  I’d be happy to e-mail the file to you.

We need a fix for the clarified FAQ heavy bombers.  That’s probably my #1 biggest issue.  Also, would be great if you could choose casualty OOL 1 by 1 instead of by group, but that’s probably not such an easy fix.

Also, would be wonderful to incorporate tac bombers and 2 hit carriers for 1940 game.

This calculator is terrific, and worth the effort to improve.

• @gamerman01:

@Stoney229:

@gamerman01:

Unfortunately, the person who can change this calculator hasn’t checked in here for awhile……  :-(

I’ve never used anyone else’s .jar.  I’m assuming I can open up the code if I have a Java development kit, right?

Hey, Stoney, that would be awesome.  I would rather e-mail you the file than try to upload it on mediafire.

Just PM me your e-mail address, or e-mail me your e-mail address.  My e-mail address should be in my profile if you click my username.  I’d be happy to e-mail the file to you.

We need a fix for the clarified FAQ heavy bombers.  That’s probably my #1 biggest issue.  Also, would be great if you could choose casualty OOL 1 by 1 instead of by group, but that’s probably not such an easy fix.

Also, would be wonderful to incorporate tac bombers and 2 hit carriers for 1940 game.

Your email is hidden

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Your email is hidden

Ah, I see.  Not anymore.  Thanks alot.

• @gamerman01:

@Stoney229:

@gamerman01:

I was finally able to download, and opened it up in my IDE (netbeans) but it looks like I won’t be able to see the code.  We’ll have to ask the developer to give away his code if we want someone else to improve it, but looking at it I’m pretty sure the vast majority of the stuff I won’t understand (I’ve never done any GUI stuff before, and I’m not a programmer), but maybe i could edit some really simple things if i could get the source code, but then again, I honestly probably don’t even have time to try to find the stuff.  Sorry to disappoint, but in my spare time (which I haven’t found yet  :roll:) I am working on some ABattlemap module stuff for G40/E40.

• @Stoney229:

I was finally able to download, and opened it up in my IDE (netbeans) but it looks like I won’t be able to see the code.  We’ll have to ask the developer to give away his code if we want someone else to improve it, but looking at it I’m pretty sure the vast majority of the stuff I won’t understand (I’ve never done any GUI stuff before, and I’m not a programmer), but maybe i could edit some really simple things if i could get the source code, but then again, I honestly probably don’t even have time to try to find the stuff.  Sorry to disappoint, but in my spare time (which I haven’t found yet  :roll:) I am working on some ABattlemap module stuff for G40/E40.

I understand.  I appreciate the thought/intention.  Hopefully he will check back here some day.

So how do you like the calc?  Have you programmed your own yet???  Without GUI?

• @gamerman01:

@Stoney229:

I understand.  I appreciate the thought/intention.  Hopefully he will check back here some day.

So how do you like the calc?  Have you programmed your own yet???  Without GUI?

I haven’t had the chance to take a real look at it yet.  The only thing I have really programmed is a Java dice roller - for playing ABattlemap offline.  You type in a number, and it gives you that many dice outcomes (random numbers 1-6).  Pretty incredibly simple, and that’s the extent of my Java programming knowlege as of right now (and may forever be).  I was hoping to go further with it, but I just don’t know when/if I’ll ever have time.  If you want a copy, I can try to figure out how to put it in some kind of file I can distribute!  :wink:

• Hello people.  Sorry I haven’t checked back here in so long.
    What with school and other projects, I don’t really have time to maintain this anymore with rule changes and such.  I would be happy to give someone the code if they wanted to give it a shot.

I have to warn you though, this app is not at all an easy one to maintain, for a few reasons:
    1. Much of it is written like crap. I started the original version of this when I was pretty new to programming in general
    2. No real documentation or comments at all.  What can I say, I never expected anyone other than me to be looking at it
    3. The calculation algorithm is REALLY complicated.  I mainly wanted to to this for the challenge of it, but Monte Carlo methods (i.e. repeated dice rolling) are much more practical for this problem.  There are tons of unforeseen complications once you actually get into it.

• @Dash_Riprock:

Hello people.  Sorry I haven’t checked back here in so long.
    What with school and other projects, I don’t really have time to maintain this anymore with rule changes and such.  I would be happy to give someone the code if they wanted to give it a shot.

Dash, I don’t know of anyone else on the boards who can do a calculator like you did.

I know all the rules that need to be incorporated into the AA50 calculator as well as 1940 calc.  I would like to work with you on that part.

It doesn’t sound like I have enough expertise to pick up where you left off, unfortunately.  I’ll give you anything you ask, up to half of my kingdom, if you’ll work on this project!!!

Please PM me if there is any chance you would consider working on the calculator.  I’ll do anything in my capabilities to help you make this happen.  Your calculator for AA50 is by far my favorite one of the ones I’ve seen.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m