• Friend just got Revised, looks great.

My first reading of the rules led me to believe that units can move their “movement” value during the Combat Move phase and during their Noncombat Move phase. I understand that each Combat Phase move must be an incursion resulting in combat (must move into enemy territory).

This understanding leads to the following example: a tank may move 2 to reach an enemy territory during the Combat Move phase. If that tank survives combat, it may then move another 2 during the Noncombat Move phase.

This understanding has been disabused by my recent play of an online version of Axis and Allies (gametableonline.com). I know that some of the movement rules have been altered on this online version of the game, so I am unsure of how this rule is applied.

It seems that a unit that has a move of 2 may move 1 during Combat Move, then may only move 1 during Noncombat Move phase. A fighter that moves 3 during Combat Move and survives combat may only move 1 during Noncombat move because it can only move a total of 4 during a turn.

Which interpretation is correct? How do you keep track of the current movement values of various units on the board? If you attack with multiple bombers and fighters and tanks that are all different distances from the territory of combat, how do you know which one can move and how far?

Also, if this is clarified in the rules, please point me to the citation.

Thanks!

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Duke!

All units may only move in one movement phase, either combat movement or noncombat movement.  If a unit moves in combat movement or is involved in combat, it may not move during noncombat movement.  Whichever phase they move in, land and sea units may use their entire movement allowance.

Air units work a little differently than land and sea units.  They may only use part of their movement in combat movement in order to get to a battle, and they must save the rest of their movement to return to a friendly space after the battle.  This movement occurs immediately after the battle is completed.  If an air unit moves in noncombat movement instead, it may of course use its entire movement.

All of that being said, the on-line version of the game works differently for air units than what’s spelled out in the rules.  In the on-line game, air units return from battle during noncombat movement rather than immediately after the battle.  Their total movement between combat and noncombat movement is less than or equal to their movement rate.  I assume this rule change was made because it was easier to program that way and the game flows better.

• Thank you for your prompt reply!

Where specifically do the rules state that units may only move in one phase?

Thanks!

• Official Q&A

Page 21, Phase 5: Noncombat Move:

In this phase, you can move any of your units that did not move in the combat move phase or participate in combat during your turn.

• Nice. Thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m