• You probably are right about the builds and this does not give russia the ability to get up to 30 IPC’s. Its not as flashy though.

• How about 1 bomber 1 fighter and 5 inf instead?  I love the German bomber r1, it threatens a landing in sz12 immediately. Also you have more r1 inf. Also, bombers are great for swapping eastern territory with Russia as they hit at 4, and have longer range, so you can keep your fighters home in France.

• I like having 3 ftrs in france and 2 ftrs and 1 bmber in libya this makes sz 12 landing impossible. So I think having the bmber R1 is not needed for this but it does threaten allied shipping better however late game 9 german ftrs are hard to get threw in germany.

After this discussion I think 1 bmber and inf or 1 bm 1 ftr and inf is a better build for more situations but 3 ftrs is always fun to play.

• in searching some old threads I came across a sold strategy to use your a/f purchase, though i think more than 2 figs is excessive.  The corresponding combat move is to move the baltic fleet and the sz 8 sub to sz 7, SE BB/trans + 2 figs to Gibralter BB, fig + bom, libya w/bid units to egypt.  Normal non-com of fig + bom in Libya, 2/3 figs in WE, one in EE, placement in germany.  If UK comes after the baltic fleet, try to submerge subs (depending on number of UK hits) Germ has the advantage of knowing how many sub hits inflicted before it needs to declare causulties.  Sub hits only go to ships, so if UK hits with BB, 2 tran, 2 figs, Bom, and the subs hit twice, those go to BB and a trans, if UK gets only 2 hits, you can keep all three subs for a chance to knock out the BB on second round of combat, or submerge (vulnerable to US BOm, fig if UK bought AC, and russian sub attack) and hit sz 7 with up to 8 figs, bom, subs, possible BB/tran)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It’s 2009 dear, why are you assuming Germany has a fighter in Ukraine and a fighter in Balkans?

• I like 2 tanks and the rest infantry.  Need to get some numbers ready to push against russia with.

• 2007 AAR League

all infi

• I have been doing some different buys.  Among them is the 4 Fighter purchase or a 2 bomber and 1 Fighter.  I like fighters over tanks because the fighters have staying power.  Unlike tanks they are very hard to counter attack.    I think the best advantage to buying 4 planes on G1 is the threat level because it both attacks and defends at the same time.  I am debating about what is best to defend aganist UK and USA landing anywhere.  I am trying a few variants.  Which ends up with Germ having 2 fighters in Norway, 2 in WE, 1 in Libya along with 1 Bomber.  Part of the strat is to Take AE with just libya forces backed by a bomber and fighter.  One then push’s SZ 13 with the BS and Trans loaded with 1 inf to unload on Gib.  The placement of fighters still gives me a bit of trouble because the UK can move around a bit.  I will also move the the SZ 5 Fleet around up to SZ 3 or Push 7 to force a response from the US to stop the fleet from combining.  I like SZ 6 to or SZ 5 each have a power all their own.  I have more to say but I am tired.  :mrgreen:

• @KindWinds:

I have been doing some different buys.  Among them is the 4 Fighter purchase or a 2 bomber and 1 Fighter.  I like fighters over tanks because the fighters have staying power.  Unlike tanks they are very hard to counter attack.    I think the best advantage to buying 4 planes on G1 is the threat level because it both attacks and defends at the same time.  I am debating about what is best to defend aganist UK and USA landing anywhere.  I am trying a few variants.  Which ends up with Germ having 2 fighters in Norway, 2 in WE, 1 in Libya along with 1 Bomber.  Part of the strat is to Take AE with just libya forces backed by a bomber and fighter.  One then push’s SZ 13 with the BS and Trans loaded with 1 inf to unload on Gib.  The placement of fighters still gives me a bit of trouble because the UK can move around a bit.  I will also move the the SZ 5 Fleet around up to SZ 3 or Push 7 to force a response from the US to stop the fleet from combining.  I like SZ 6 to or SZ 5 each have a power all their own.  I have more to say but I am tired.  :mrgreen:

I do not think either 4 fighters or 2 fig / 1 bmb is a good build on G1 for two reasons.  One, you already possess a substantial asset which can be used for the purpose of which you speak, attacking Allied shipping.  This asset is the 4-ship navy that is sitting in the Baltic.  So, to be most efficient, if you want to sink Allied ships, you can spend a little and make sure this fleet does not get sunk on B1, say by buying a destroyer for 12 IPC or carrier for 16 IPC, or hell even a BB for 24 IPC, instead of the 40 or 35 IPC you are talking about spending, which do absolutely nothing to protect your navy from aerial assault on B1.  Yes, fighters are dual purpose, whereas a ship is not, but the difference in cost is so large that I think it is worth it to invest in a ship here.  I would recommend the carrier over the other options.  Now, on subsequent turns, once the navy is set to hold up, you can slowly add to your collection of fighters while investing primarily on ground troops.  A powerful airforce will make sure the Allies fear to get within 2 spaces of your navy, or suffer sure annihilation from the combined air/naval assault that you can bring.

Second, spending so little on ground troops on G1 kinda sets you on the defensive too much against the Russians.  The goal for the Axis is Moscow, and spending 0 to 5 IPC round 1 on ground forces is a serious setback to that goal.  Fighters are support troops, they cannot capture or hold territory on their own.

• I do understand what it does look like and I have just one suggestion play it out.  :-D  I also bought 6 tanks and 1 Fighter and that won me a lot of games.  I have also bought 1 Carrier and 3 Transports G1 and placed in SZ 5 and that won a lot as well.

To add to the fighters prowess each time you use them it is like using 4 tanks that if used right will seldom die.  Count that up over 2-5 turns.  I am not a fan of playing by IPC worth I thought I would just throw that out there.  I am a fan of position.  I think IPC’s are only a tool to fight with and not the fight  :wink:

Thanks for the input and I will play some more land games to see where that idea is coming from.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m