Can the Allies win in 1942?

• I think the Axis is pretty well hosed in 1942.  So long as the USA goes Pacific only, it can ALWAYS hold Hawaii, which means that barring freak circumstances Germany has to take Moscow (I assume we’re using a 13 VC victory condition here).  That’s not going to be easy… on G1, you HAVE to build to the Baltic fleet if you want to have any chance of keeping it, and you need to buy at least a carrier.  So now you’re down from $37 to $23.  France is underdefended, so you’re going to need to divert some of your G1 Berlin troops there.  You’re going to need to send some stuff down to Africa.  By the time you’re done, you’re way, way behind in keeping parity with Russia on the Eastern Front.  It’s hard to come back, too, because you’re limited to building ten units.  You can build a factory in France or Poland, but you want to do it early, and on G1 you just don’t have a ton of cash.

I only play offline, so I don’t know if that experience jibes with what you guys are seeing.  But on G1 you have a country that is way, way overextended.  Unlike with the Allies, if you screw up even a little you can blow your chances of winning.

I’m not sure if the game needs a “fix” yet, but two ideas I’d like to try:

• Germany starts with a bomber in France.  This would make it a lot easier to sink Allied shipping early on and take some of the heat off of Western Europe.

• The Skagerrak acts like the Suez Canal, and is impassible to ships unless you control both Northwest Europe and Norway at the beginning of your turn.  (This isn’t my idea; someone over at another forum came up with it.)  It could really help breathe a lot of life into Germany’s Baltic fleet, since it’s generally only going to be hit with planes.

• @mpc220:

• The Skagerrak acts like the Suez Canal, and is impassible to ships unless you control both Northwest Europe and Norway at the beginning of your turn.  (This isn’t my idea; someone over at another forum came up with it.)  It could really help breathe a lot of life into Germany’s Baltic fleet, since it’s generally only going to be hit with planes.

never

never

• @mpc220:

on G1, you HAVE to build to the Baltic fleet if you want to have any chance of keeping it, and you need to buy at least a carrier.

Who says you need to keep it?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@cymerdown:

@mpc220:

on G1, you HAVE to build to the Baltic fleet if you want to have any chance of keeping it, and you need to buy at least a carrier.

I don’t.

I think the Axis can win, but you’ll have to throw out your notions of what is good strategy and what is bad.

Germany has to go balls to the walls against Russia smacking them as hard as possible each and every round, even if it costs tanks.  The only chance you have is for the Allies to send fighters in to defend Moscow (costing the Allies 5 IPC a round) and/or to keep Russia 100% defensive for most of the game.  Just so you can buy time for Japan to bring up the rear (5 rounds, remember!)

• @cymerdown:

Maybe you don’t.  I’ve played the scenario a few times and I think it very well might be worth trying to save; you can delay British landings for a turn or two and that might be worth the 14 bucks you blow on it.  But I’m not sure.

• @mpc220:

@cymerdown:

Maybe you don’t.  I’ve played the scenario a few times and I think it very well might be worth trying to save; you can delay British landings for a turn or two and that might be worth the 14 bucks you blow on it.  But I’m not sure.

Usually you get to blow the fleet on a suicide strafe with your aircraft, and it takes it’s money’s worth before dying.  That is, assuming the dice gods don’t take a dump on you.

• I think the allies can win in 42, and certainly w/o NOs. But most of us play with NOs, the game is more fun with more money.

I believe that axis also are favored in the 42 scenario with NOs. I don’t know enough to say for sure that allies need a bid though, I may even be wrong on this, could also be that allies are favored.

What is pretty clear is that there is no such thing as a balanced A&A, once you started playing enough games to know what the most efficient strats are, for winning the game that is.

AAR was not very unbalanced, and we compare Revised with Classic. We should then compare AA50 with AAR.

I think it’s possible that AA50 is not more unbalanced than AAR, which is acceptable. With bid levels 8-9 ipc in AAR, I think we will see this in AA50 pretty soon. In AAR the usual bids are 2 units to Germany in Africa and 1 ipc to Japan.

I didn’t play enough 42 games yet, but I would be suprised if axis can win w/o bid and w/o NOs.

• I would say that the 42 game is more evenly matched than the 41 game.  Its best to follow certain goals as the allies if you are going to win.  Just last weekend I defeated my best opponent (who usually beats me 3 to 1) in three turns as the allies by invading Germany with only two transports {2 tanks 2 inf}, 5 fighters, 1 heavy bomber, and shore bombardment. 
          I caught him off gaurd in that he didn’t leave enough hitler youth behind to defend the Reich.  Granted he did have Moscow virtually surrounded with the exception of the caucusses.  Its hard to send adequate forces to Russia and defend your home turf, even if you get mech inf.  That is why as allies I always go for Italy/germany first.  For one thing Japan cannot do much to threaten you for a few turns and by then you can really put the heat on the hun.  I recommend building fighters and carriers as britain (because you can always fly the fighter squadrons to defend russia) and flying all us bombers to the U.K on the first turn and go after the heavy bombers tech as USA.  Build a bomber and eastern fleet units every turn as the USA this will be good for hitting the italian fleet as well as the axis factories.

I absolutely think that the allies can win in 42!! absolutely.

• I’ve only played one game of '42 and I’m gearing up for my second.  With NO on, do the axis OR the allies need a bid to balance the game?
    Thanks.

• @Cmdr:

I mean seriously, do they even have a chance?

We’re two rounds in and China’s obliterated, England’s stuck on their little island and anything bigger than a paper boat they put in the water is sunk IMMEDIATELY and Russia’s standing on her own while Japan and Germany come marching at her.

(Oh yea, and Italy’s so powerful they have a Complex in Egypt and are laughing and having a good old time with it….)

Of course, it’s only game one of 1942 for us, but I’m seriously wondering if maybe we need to buff the British a bit?

haha, 2 rounds?
    i can’t get those results if i even wanted to as allies!
    china, is true: you should retreat back, and make a hold at chingai
    British are strong, they keep most of their ships alive
    Japan superpower? with 1 transport first round?
    even india IC is good idea, atleast with KJF
    Germans: the russians are in the offensive first rounds. and 8 inf a day, keeps the jerrys away :-D

• @jennifer

I know this is SUPER old (Sorry, but I’m late to the forums) Yes, the allies can win in the 1942 setup. And it’s alot simpler than you might think.

If you wanna know how to win with them, just play the game out historically. Do what the allies did in real life and you’re pretty much set to win, I feel stupid saying that…

The only thing that stops you at this point is knowing what they did in real life to win the war.

• @woodstock said in Can the Allies win in 1942?:

“How long can Russia hold out on it’s own against Germany?”

Quite a while. In fact, Russia can hold out for so long they’ll have taken Berlin. Yup, I’m being serious when I say that, a proper USSR player can hold out against Germany, and Italy, push them back all the way to Rome and Berlin and win the war all together. What I’m saying may seem WAY too overstretched and I dont blame u for thinking that. But I sure as hell did it in the 42’ setup. And after doing it, it made me see the obvious.

The Soviets can’t ‘hold out’ until the allies arrive. By turns 7-9 the Soviets will have needed to shift the tides, and be on the offensive towards Berlin, whether the allies have landed or not.

As much as I’d like to think that America and the British have some huge major important factor in this, they really don’t. The entirety of the war effort all rests on the brains and brawns of the player playing the Soviet Union, granted that’s not to say the U.K and the U.S can’t help a brother out, I’m just saying this so called Soviets hold out until “Round 4, 5 or 6” is pretty baloney. Because the that’s pretty much the time when America and the U.K should be SETTING UP to land in mainland Europe, and they still won’t do it for another good 3-4 turns.

Something that one of my favorite Axis and Allies youtubers said, GeneralHandGrenade, spoke of the fact that as the allies (America specifically) There is no short cheap way to win the war for the allies, landing on turn 3-4 is WAY too early for either, frankly a properly played game as the allies could genuinly go on till’ round 11 or 12.

And if any player can’t seem to hold out against the Germans and Italians in the 1942 setup then they’re playing the Soviet Union wrong, and you should probably hand off the role to somebody else, because the player playing the USSR kinda needs to know how to play the game, and play it well.

(i know this is old, I dont even think you’re gonna see this but I was born in the early 2000’s so I wasn’t around for the forums)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m