• I am thinking of going to SF for the annual American Psyciatric Association meeting in May.  Wondering - what is the best hotel to stay in - preferably with proximity to either fisherman’s warf or the convention center.  I did do the Kayak thing, but going through 420 hotels seemed a little work-intensive.  Anyone have any ideas?

• The only place i stay at is the Palace Hotel. Its got the history behind it. It was originally built before the 1908 quake and was considered quake proof, but still burned down. They restored it completely and the food is terrific.

Plus the workers had a strike recently which was defeated by management. You gotta love anti-union forces at work!

The hotel is near the main drag of market street kinda in the middle of it all.

Make sure to visit Little Italy and the great Indian places.

• Stay at the ‘W’.
    Yes, that is the name. W Hotel.

It is right next to the Convention Center. Excellent rooms with designer furniture, plush bathrobes, high thread count designer sheets, great food service at the bottom and reasonably priced. Has good viewing, especially if you reside on the side facing the bay bridge.

Hotels close to the wharf… I’m not too sure about. However, the area of North Beach (aka Italy town) which is close by to the wharf, has some of the best restaurants in town.

When staying in SF, I recommend staying as close to the Conv. Center as possible and don’t drive anywhere. Parking is the worst out of any city I have ever been too. Public transportation is the best way.

• Normally when I go to SF I stay at a friends house, so I can’t offer you advice on Hotels.  I did stay at the Holiday Inn (downtown SF) and a hostel (Chinatown) once, which made for good times.

Stuka Pilot is right, parking is ridiculously expensive.  You’re better off using the Muni, Caltrains, or Bart.  I remember having to shell out $30 on ONE parking spot for a day.

• hes flying in… i think its better to take public transit. The one ways are so ridiculous sometimes that you need to travel a dozen blocks before you can make a turn, then you have to backtrack. I don’t travel alone, but if i did thats what i would do.

They have a subway but unfortunately its seedy and you can get robbed in daylight.

• @Imperious:

hes flying in… i think its better to take public transit. The one ways are so ridiculous sometimes that you need to travel a dozen blocks before you can make a turn, then you have to backtrack. I don’t travel alone, but if i did thats what i would do.

They have a subway but unfortunately its seedy and you can get robbed in daylight.

BART isn’t so bad. They recently extended it right up to the airport.

• Well what did they do near Powell st?  its like a subculture akin to the ‘mole men’ from planet of the apes.

The airport is further south… that would be a looong subway. You sure?

• Yeah, I’m sure. The track got extended about three years ago. I used it several times myself.

• @Imperious:

Well what did they do near Powell st?  its like a subculture akin to the ‘mole men’ from planet of the apes.

The airport is further south… that would be a looong subway. You sure?

Thanks for the Advice - both hotels look great. I am tempted by this “mole men” place, however . . . .

• I am tempted by this “mole men” place, however . . . .

LOL!!  just hold you nose if you get off near Powell st. and Market. The area where the Chess players play is the worst area… and the freeks come out at night near China town. Be careful.

San Francisco is the best looking city in western USA.

Last thing an incredible thing im not sure why people don’t mention is about 4:30 or so every day in the afternoon a gust of wind comes in the whole city. It is to me something special, the small in the air of the sea air is like a kiss from the earth.

Its like that moment in the Last Samurai movie when they are tending to the rice fields and the winds come up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m