Rules: on N.O. UK AA gun on Soviet territory

• Rules? 
    Does an UK AA gun on Soviet territory count as an “other allied piece” for the Soviet N.O. if it is moved into a red space.

I was thinking how the INDIA aa gun could end up retreating to a red space over a few turns.

• Official Q&A

Yes, it counts.

• @Krieghund:

Yes, it counts.

I don’t understand why this is true. AA guns are grey because they change ownership. Would not the gun belong to whoever owns the land it sits on?

• AA guns CAN change ownership. For the mentioned AA gun to change to Russian control it would first have to be captured by an Axis player and then the territory would need to be liberated at which time it would go to Russian control.

• Are you sure? I thought it went back to the original controller of the “liberated” AA gun…

• @a44bigdog:

AA guns CAN change ownership. For the mentioned AA gun to change to Russian control it would first have to be captured by an Axis player and then the territory would need to be liberated at which time it would go to Russian control.

Well, I guess you will have to put a flag marker next to the AA gun to keep track of who owns it.

I got AA50 for Christmas and found a production error piece. One of my AA guns is in the Color of Japanese pieces instead of Gray. To bad it wasn’t German black. I would use it for German Rocket attacks for sure! Japan, however is unlikely to want rockets in AA50.

But, it still seems like whoever owns the land should own the Gray pieces.

• Official Q&A

If you move an AA gun into a friendly power’s territory, you place a control marker under it to indicate that you still own it (page 25).  If an enemy power captures the territory, they gain control of the AA gun (page 20).  If a friendly power then captures the territory, they gain control of the AA gun (also page 20).  However, if a friendly power liberates the territory, ownership of the AA gun passes to the original controller of the territory (also page 20).

In addition, if a friendly power captures the territory rather than liberating it because the original power’s capital is under enemy control, the friendly power gains control of the AA gun.  If the friendly power’s capital is subsequently liberated, control of the territory goes back to that power, but control of the AA gun remains with the capturing power, so a control marker must be placed under it.  (All of this is also on page 20.)

Complicated enough?  Here are a couple of examples:

Example 1:  The UK moves an AA gun to Soviet-controlled Karelia.  The AA gun belongs to the UK, so a UK marker is placed under it.  Then Germany captures Karelia.  Germany gets the AA gun, and the UK marker is removed.  The USA then liberates Karelia, and the territory and the AA gun become controlled by the USSR.

Example 2:  The UK moves an AA gun to Soviet-controlled Karelia.  The AA gun belongs to the UK, so a UK marker is placed under it.  Then Germany captures Karelia.  Germany gets the AA gun, and the UK marker is removed.  Germany also captures Russia.  The USA then captures Karelia (not liberates, because the USSR’s capital is enemy-controlled), and the territory and the AA gun become controlled by the USA.  The USSR then recaptures Russia, so Karelia passes from USA control to Soviet control, but the AA gun in Karelia is retained by the USA, and a USA control marker is placed under it.

• Thank you Krighund and a44bigdog.

• Official Q&A

No problem.  It sure would be easier if whoever owned the territory also owned the AA gun, wouldn’t it?  :wink:

• Shouldn’t this be mentioned in the FAQ regarding the differences between Anniversary and Revised?

• Official Q&A

You’re right, Hobbes.  There is a very slight difference in the way this is handled in Revised regarding reversion of territories when a capital is liberated, in that the AA gun changes along with the territory.  I had forgotten about that.  I’ll update the document soon.

• @Krieghund:

You’re right, Hobbes.  There is a very slight difference in the way this is handled in Revised regarding reversion of territories when a capital is liberated, in that the AA gun changes along with the territory.  I had forgotten about that.  I’ll update the document soon.

And you are right concerning the ownership of AA Guns. On the OOB rules it says: “If you liberate a territory containing a captured antiaircraft gun, control reverts to the original owner.” I had always assumed that the original owner meant the AA Gun original owner.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I actually like the distinction.  Your allies don’t capture your land, they liberate it, but you do capture your own land.

Really does not change much of my plans yet…maybe in the future, but not yet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m