• A lot of people argue over this so i figure its about time to get some hard data on the issue

• @bbrett3:

A lot of people argue over this so i figure its about time to get some hard data on the issue

The UK rarely makes a breakthrough in the Pacific, but it is suicide to cede India and allow Japan to gorge itself on the soft underbelly of the Middle East and the USSR. An IC in India early in the game will at least make the Japanese devote time and money to make sure the British don’t cross the line. It is a necessary delay manoeuvre to stall Japan, and to give them an additional thing to think about. This is important early in the game because it should take the US a few turns to get their footing.

All that being said, it is possible that the UK, aided with smart purchases and good die rolling, could take Kwangtung, and Indo China, and possibly push into China. I’ve never seen it, but it theoretically is possible.

• @MP84:

@bbrett3:

A lot of people argue over this so i figure its about time to get some hard data on the issue

The UK rarely makes a breakthrough in the Pacific, but it is suicide to cede India and allow Japan to gorge itself on the soft underbelly of the Middle East and the USSR. An IC in India early in the game will at least make the Japanese devote time and money to make sure the British don’t cross the line. It is a necessary delay manoeuvre to stall Japan, and to give them an additional thing to think about. This is important early in the game because it should take the US a few turns to get their footing.

All that being said, it is possible that the UK, aided with smart purchases and good die rolling, could take Kwangtung, and Indo China, and possibly push into China. I’ve never seen it, but it theoretically is possible.

In 1941, with the exception of Russia sending 6 inf, and building two fighters and sending them to india as well, Japan can force its way to India on J2. A factory there is a gift. It might be possible for Russia to devote such resources to making the India IC viable, but I highly doubt it.

• @rockrobinoff:

In 1941, with the exception of Russia sending 6 inf, and building two fighters and sending them to india as well, Japan can force its way to India on J2. A factory there is a gift. It might be possible for Russia to devote such resources to making the India IC viable, but I highly doubt it.

I don’t think japan will normally have enough trans in position to take India in r2 using the 41 setup. that extra sea zone at Burma makes all the difference. And remember, Japan goes before UK now.

• Well, the way i play Japan it does. You take the east indies and borneo with two inf and 1 inf respectively, dump 3inf and 1 art from the loaded transports in burma, and land 1 inf and 1 tank in FIC. park a carrier by the burma coast with two fighters, and land 3 fighters from your china fights in FIC.

kaboom!

• it all depends on the Japanese player. last '41 game i played, UK destroyers from Australia and India, respectfully, destroyed two lightly defended Japanese transports and re-took most of the islands it had lost on J1. the Japanese fleet was too busy with the USA, so these same forces then moved up and added to the defence of India

i didn’t choose any option, as you didn’t leave a ‘use what forces are there to your best advantage’ selection in the poll  :-P

• In my games with the 41 set-up japans fleet is usually centered around the Philippines with just a couple of transports and infantry around the East indies and Borneo, so Britain can usually get a factory out and at least 3 units before Japan can position to take it. Just looking at the placement of japans units and the map japan needs to spend J1 setting up for a J2 attack in which case Britain can see that coming and not build an IC there

• @rockrobinoff:

Well, the way i play Japan it does. You take the east indies and borneo with two inf and 1 inf respectively, dump 3inf and 1 art from the loaded transports in burma, and land 1 inf and 1 tank in FIC. park a carrier by the burma coast with two fighters, and land 3 fighters from your china fights in FIC.

kaboom!

You can’t get to East Indies J1.

To make this work for Japan you have to go all out J1 for the J2 attack. If that happens then UK should NOT build IC but if Japan does not setup for it then I say build it. IMO the best route of action is to take Borneo and New Guinea J1 with a planned attack of Austrailia J2.

Russia could build 4 tanks also on R1 then R2 goto India.

• @Flying:

Yes, you can. You have two transports off the caroline islands.

• I agree with Volkov.  Since UK now goes after Japan, she has the hindsight of seeing if a factory in India is viable or not.  If the Japan seem to be focused on USA, China, or Russia – then a factory in India can be a good setup move.

• @rockrobinoff:

@Flying:

Yes, you can. You have two transports off the caroline islands.

New Guinea sea zone connected to East Indies sea zone? Map is at in laws. I thought it wasn’t connected there.

• @tin_snips:

it all depends on the Japanese player. last '41 game i played, UK destroyers from Australia and India, respectfully, destroyed two lightly defended Japanese transports and re-took most of the islands it had lost on J1. the Japanese fleet was too busy with the USA, so these same forces then moved up and added to the defence of India

i didn’t choose any option, as you didn’t leave a ‘use what forces are there to your best advantage’ selection in the poll  :-P

I probably shouldve done that instead of the canada option since i dont think any1 does that
    lol

• non of the above

Try to retake an island with Australian fleet
    Try to join US Navy (if there is a US Navy in the Pacific)
    Try to push on the middle east would be great… but, can England do that?

• @Flying:

New Guinea sea zone connected to East Indies sea zone? Map is at in laws. I thought it wasn’t connected there.

Yes SZ40(NG) and SZ38(EI) are connected. Looking at it right now.

I can see missing this though.

• IC in India: ensures instant ground pressure on japan as well as a decent naval base, it can be devastating if lost

IC in Australia: lets you flank the japanese navy and unite with the american fleet, hard to use ground troops though….

IC i Canada: Only worth it if:
    A) you reeeally don’t wanna lose your IC
    B)the japs are going all out on alaska and california

Do nothing: keeps pressure on the germans, US might get overwhelmed

Push through ME: lets you use spare troops in North Africa and the Med. , might be a very small force though…

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I think its annoying that the Russians are always required to defend India for the British. Revised was essentially the same way, usually requiring 2 inf and at least 3 tanks in range out Caucasus, to prevent the all out rush by Japan.

It seems like we have basically the same pattern going on here, at least in 41. The ‘Rush’ might take another round, which buys the British 3 more tanks, but the Russian commitment makes it just that much easier for Germany to put early pressure on Moscow. Right now I’m going to have to vote No to the India complex.

In 42 the IC is a bit more viable, still pretty costly though.

• I think that an IC in Australia with an American player who is taking an active role in the Pacific would give Japan more to think about than blind expansion into Asia.  A combined fleet between the two means that both the UK an the US can threaten Japan without expending all of their IPC’s on a KJF strategy.  If time is truly the Allies friend then slowing down Japans expansion in anyway is a good thing.

• @Danger:

I think that an IC in Australia with an American player who is taking an active role in the Pacific would give Japan more to think about than blind expansion into Asia.  A combined fleet between the two means that both the UK an the US can threaten Japan without expending all of their IPC’s on a KJF strategy.  If time is truly the Allies friend then slowing down Japans expansion in anyway is a good thing.

This might be true, then again, it is all the less pressure that is put on Germany, which means all the more pressure that Germany can put on Russia, which means that Japan needs fewer guys to take down Russia.

Speaking in such generalizations is rarely useful.

• This might be true, then again, it is all the less pressure that is put on Germany, which means all the more pressure that Germany can put on Russia, which means that Japan needs fewer guys to take down Russia.

Speaking in such generalizations is rarely useful.

So its just KGF 100% of the time?  zzzzzzz…

• @Heavy:

So its just KGF 100% of the time?  zzzzzzz…

Maybe? I dunno. I am merely contending that putting presssure on Japan does not automaticaly = good.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m