• The T 34 helped the Russians win World War 2. Overated or not. With issues or not. I guess sometimes numbers do count.

I am not questioning your integrity. I was on that highway too. I don’t recall seeing any T34’s, several T54/55’s however, I must admit my time was very limited spending only a few minutes getting past that mess and moving on. If you spent more time there then your knowledge on the scene is superior to mine.

This whole thread has brought back some serious memories, was it really 17 years ago?

I just respect any tank shooting at me, whether or not its overrated or not. Nothing more terrifying than having 125mm shell whistling past.

• I have to ammend my last post. I can’t think too fast. One of my many faults.

The vehicle I was thinking of was not a Studebaker truck. It was a Packard car. In 1938 (I think) Packard sold some tooling to the Soviets. With this Stalin’s crew made copies of one of Packards models. This ended for a while because of some uninvited German guests. After the war production continued until the late '50s. The engine was reliable enough to have suppodedly found it’s way into some trucks. These engines had Packard on the valve covers.

My confusion/stupidity came from the fact the Soviets received a huge amount of Studebaker trucks thanks to lend/lease. These trucks were so popular some Russians started using the word Studebaker as a generic term for truck.

Legion 3 the tank I mentioned was near the top of the hill. The ground leveled off at one point before continuing upward towards the crest. Going up the hill the T54/55 would have been on your left. Not a scratch on it. Unfortunately some a$$hole stole the pictures the pictures I took there or I would have scanned a couple a posted them.

To anyone interested in how whacked out a T34 can look check this out.

http://www.jedsite.info/tanks-tango/tango-numbers-su/t-34_series/t34-series.html

Look at the T34 HU Firefighting, and the Syrian T34/122. Thinking about the Egypian 122 SPG reminded me of the Syrian version. So I googled and found this site.

• '19 Moderator

Holy cow that hungarian fire fighter is awesome.  LMAO at “specific recognition points”

• I just don’t remember seeing it but I will defer to your memory, As I said I was there for only minutes and we were constently on the move and of course had other things on my mind then  :wink:

• “Very worrying”, Colonel-General Heinz Guderian, Commander of Second Panzer Army.

“We had nothing comparable”, Major-General F.W. Mellenthin, Chief of Staff of XLVIII Panzer Corps.

“The finest tank in the world”, Field-Marshal Ewald von Kleist, First Panzer Army.

“This tank (T-34) adversely affected the morale of the German infantry”, General G. Blumentritt.

• “Quantity has a quality all on its own.” (or something like that)

-Josef Stalin

• @Jermofoot:

“Quantity has a quality all on its own.” (or something like that)

-Josef Stalin

Totally. I think that quote sums up the Russian victory on its own.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m