• 2007 AAR League

Go right ahead. I’m sorry about that. I got caught up in my games.  :lol:

• Ok here we go.  The last good one I can think of.

Texas State History: How many sovereign flags have flown over Texas?

Bonus:  What countries were they?

LT

Spain
    Mexico
    France
    CSA
    Republic of Texas
    USA

• A44bigdog,

I am not going to confirm or deny the results to give others some time to agree or disagree.

LT

• Spain
    Mexico
    CSA
    Republic of Texas
    USA

(was Texas ever under French control?  – though there is a Paris, Texas…)

After LT04 reveals his answer we will commence Round 2 of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.

• A44BigDog,

You are correct.  There were 6 flags that flew over Texas.  Some time later a park would be named for that called “Six Flags.”

TG you are good to go.

LT

• Since TG is MIA, I’d like to throw one out there. Hopefully its not too hard.

Film

Western films owe a lot to a foreign director, and in some cases remade his films that went on to be classics.  The director in question also did his own versions of classic stories that are highly entertaining.  Who was the director and where was he from?

Bonus: What well regarded actor did the director team up with for 16 movies?

• for bonus:  Clint Eastwood?

• @F6FHellcat:

for bonus:  Clint Eastwood?

Nope.  But interestingly enough, Clint Eastwood starred in two of the Western pseudoremakes by the director I’m looking for.  He played the same part as the actor in the bonus question.

• 2007 AAR League

Sam Peckinpaw? and Lee Marvin?

I’m almost positive that Peckinpaw made a bunch of old black and white westerns and I’m also pretty sure that Marvin made most of his money in westerns so those are my guesses.

• @U-505:

Sam Peckinpaw? and Lee Marvin?

I’m almost positive that Peckinpaw made a bunch of old black and white westerns and I’m also pretty sure that Marvin made most of his money in westerns so those are my guesses.

While that may be correct, it’s not what I’m looking for.

Another hint: The director had a lasting influence on George Lucas, and one of his films was a major inspiration for Star Wars.

• Akira Kurosawa.

When you first said “influenced Western film” I immediately jumped to the spaghetti directors.  But I wasn’t sure which one.

The “inspiration for Star Wars” clue gave it away.

Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress served as source material to Luke Skywalkers and Co’s journey into a impregnable fortress (the Death Star).

Several of Kurosawa’s films have been remade into Western films, most noticeably the Seven Samurai – which was remade to the The Magnificent Seven in the States.

I don’t know about the 16 films though…

• @TG:

Akira Kurosawa.

When you first said “influenced Western film” I immediately jumped to the spaghetti directors.  But I wasn’t sure which one.

The “inspiration for Star Wars” clue gave it away.

Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress served as source material to Luke Skywalkers and Co’s journey into a impregnable fortress (the Death Star).

Several of Kurosawa’s films have been remade into Western films, most noticeably the Seven Samurai – which was remade to the The Magnificent Seven in the States.

I don’t know about the 16 films though…

Ding ding ding! +1 for you.  And you have the stage.

(Bonus was Toshiro Mifune, the drunk in Seven Samurai)

• Oh, and the guess about Clint Eastwood as the actor was interesting.

Akira Kurosawa made a film called Yojimbo starring Toshiro Mifune about a ronin taking advantage of two opposing clans that ruled a town.  Sergio Leone made a western called A Fistful of Dollars starring Clint Eastwood as a wanderer taking advantage of two opposing clans ruling a small town.  Both are excellent films.

And Seven Samurai is one of my all time favorite movies.

• I glad I not way wrong on Clint Eastwood.  I know he did many spaghetti westerns so my guess from that.

• Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride - Round 2 - Question #1

What is that minimum number of states required to win the US Presidential Race?  Please provide a mathematical proof.

You may use the internet.

• 11 states

538 total electors.  270 is majority win

California 55
    Texas 34
    New York 31
    Florida 27
    Illinois 21
    Pennsylvania 21
    Ohio 20
    Michigan 17
    Georgia 15
    New Jersey 15
    North Carolina 15
    Win with 271

• F6FHellcat, you are correct.  Though America consists of 50+1 voting states, only 11 states are required for victory in a presidential race.  That’s a little more than 10%.  Of course, any candidate who follows this strategy is in for a risky proposition as the two largest states - California and Texas - are nominally split between Democratic and Republican.  More important are the larger swing states, states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida with no clear cut favorite.  And true this, the vast majority of a candidates’ time and money goes into these states.
    Question #2 - Sports

Of the five major sports leagues in America, which league(s) use the term “referee” when describing a person who has the authority to make decisions regarding rules of conduct during play?

The Five Major Sports Leagues may be defined as:

Football - NFL
    Baseball - MLB
    Basketball - NBA
    Ice Hockey - NHL
    Soccer - MLS

• Clones:

Since I said I’d throw in a funny picture or random snippet when I’m feeling especially generous, here is a time for you to soak up my extreme munificence.

(be sure to read the fine print)

• i do not know for sure, i would guess, ice hockey, soccer, football

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m