• There are a few ways of fixing this warping problem, but here is what I did.

I got a scrap piece of sheet metal (not aluminum) from work. I could only find a 43" x 25" piece. 46" would have been the best. I then went to Home Depot and got 10’ strip of 1 inch wide magnet. It also had adhesive on the back of this magnet. I simply cut the strip into long pieces and attached them to the edges on back of the map. Put it on the sheet metal and it is perfect. It does not slip even if I pick it up on it’s side. It is completely level. I figure I’ll lay a towel down on the table surface so the sheet metal can’t harm the finish of the table. The reason I went with this is so I could still breakdown the map and store it in the box.

$4 for the magnet. Home Depot had the sheet metal for $26 though, I wasn’t about to pay that much.

I thought about using velcro too but it was too expensive.

• the board warps?!  :-o

• @tin_snips:

the board warps?!  :-o

That was my reaction…

…is anyone else having this sort of issue?

• Yeah, my board warped before the first round of my first game!!!

Nice idea to fix the problem though - Thanks.

• @Aretaku:

@tin_snips:

the board warps?!  :-o

That was my reaction…

…is anyone else having this sort of issue?

I got my hands on a set for the first time yesterday and the board did start to warp or bend. But given how thin the thing is it wasn’t a terrific surprise.

I suspect that it is a humidity problem that will sort itself out after a few days but it just as likely won’t.  :|

• Rather than using sheet metal, which just seems so sharp and pointy, has anyone tried fixing A&A:50 onto a cloth matting?  This would enable a tri-folded board, like the original A&A.

• @TG:

Rather than using sheet metal, which just seems so sharp and pointy, has anyone tried fixing A&A:50 onto a cloth matting?  This would enable a tri-folded board, like the original A&A.

Would that solve the warping problem though?

• It would not.

Lexan plates don’t bend but are rather heavy… Lexan is the Cadillac of plastic.

Plexiglass over the map is one way to go. Osh has them in sheets of all sizes. But the light provides a glare in evening play.

so the map is also 46x23… Home depot ( actually Home Cheapo) makes 2x2 wooden tiles and they are extremely durable and light. They have a white lamination on them. You can basicially buy 2 of these suckers and mount your map accordingly. They cut them for free and each piece is like 4-5 bucks

I suggested a cloth tape what they have in any hardware store. The map would be kept together, but its not very professional.

• I never liked Plexiglas or real glass over the board.  To me A&A:50 is like a woman, and I want to be able to feel her.

Wood underneath doesn’t sound like such a bad idea, as long as there aren’t splinters.  I am disappointed about not having an easy way to transport the board however.

• if you get some sort of thin wood/metal/plastic and cut it to size, the board should still fit nicely in the box. keep in mind that there’s a small gap between the lid of the box and where the contents reach to

• @TG:

To me A&A:50 is like a woman, and I want to be able to feel her.

Something tells me few guys on this site know what that is…… :roll:

• @mwindianapolis:

@TG:

To me A&A:50 is like a woman, and I want to be able to feel her.

Something tells me few guys on this site know what that is…… :roll:

Boo!

He just insulted A&A player’s manhood

-1 Karma

even in jest, that’s not funny

• Just bend it back until it cracks, then stomp it flat !  :-D

• I guess I should have read this before I nailed my board to the dining room table. I haven’t been able to feel my woman so much since then.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

A piece of plywood and some cinder blocks works as well.

The board will warp if stored in a humid environment, it is only cardboard after all.  So if you are storing it in such a place like a garage or basement, then placing the plywood on top of it and the cinder blocks on top of the plywood will give you more than enough weight to keep it flat inbetween gaming sessions.

• I guess I should have read this before I nailed my board to the dining room table. I haven’t been able to feel my woman so much since then.

You should take care of your woman; she may just be the best thing you have!  Unless I absolutely positively am not going regret it, then, AND ONLY THEN, will I make physical changes to game board.  To me, they’re like implants.  Fun at first but eventually you want to go back to the real thing.

Speaking of which, if any of you guys are engineers you can try Chemical Vapor Depositing some thin oxide or Parylene coating onto your board.  That would stop the warping.

• you guys have got me worried now  :-(

checked my boards last night, but they seem ok still. thinking about getting some pieces of board, embedding some hinges and then glueing the game board to them. makes it foldable, and still able to be stored in the box

• Customizer

I haven’t seen this problem yet but I live in WA where it rains like a cold Vietnam. My solution is to get a piece of glass or plexi-glass and lay it over the board eventually after a few games you won’t need it. If it starts again just repeat the process. That way your game can stay portable, and I’ll bet alot of us out there alreay have glass tabletops. Lastly the added bennefit of having an ‘anti-beer/beverage’ screen is a plus. :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I guess I should have read this before I nailed my board to the dining room table. I haven’t been able to feel my woman so much since then.

I cannot see how this should be a problem for her.  Does she not play?  Are you a wife abuser??? How dare you keep her from experiencing this game!!!  After all, if she played this game, she would have no problem permanently airbrushing the board on her kitchen table!!!

• '22 '19 '18

My board warped bad, espically the third that contained Japan and the US, it was so bad Japan had to build canal locks
    to move the navy from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific.  What I did was stack a bunch of heavy books on the board and then before each game I slightly bend the board in the opposite direction.  This has helped keep the board flat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m