• @toblerone77:

Carriers and fighters are the best combo as far as I’m concerned on offense or defense.

I’ll guarantee a CV/FIG combo with destroyers will make most think twice about using bombers. :evil:

Not too much in the games that my group has been playing.  I’ll just send in the Bombers with a few Subs/Destroyers thrown in if I need fodder, and if we are playing with tech, and the Bombers ever go Heavy, then I don’t even need fodder.  This has happened in most of the games which we have played.

I do agree with you though, that for naval purchases if you must make them, that loaded ACs with a few fodder pieces (Destroyers if going against an air force, or Subs/Destroyers if going against a navy) are the best.

• Customizer

I think it really depends on what side you’re playing and what stage of the of the game you’re in. My tactic in the early stages as the US I like to use CV task forces to island hop. I haven’t played AA50 even though I just got it. I’m going to try incorporating cruisers more into the game. I think alot of folks are already writing them off whereas I think they may have some value as a ‘poor man’s’ battleship.

I personally think the US/Jap/Ger are ideal for the sub/bomber combo. Ger especially in the early stages. I think it’s essential for Ger to preserve it’s luftwaffe as much as possible in any version of the game.

• I do  agree with you though, that for naval purchases if you must make them, that loaded ACs with a few fodder pieces (Destroyers if going against an air force, or Subs/Destroyers if going against a navy) are the best.

Exactly.  The exacted value for 3 bombers attacking 1 carrier + 2 fighters is positive, making it a worthwhile attack.  However, back that Carrier group with a destroyer or gasp a battleship and the expected return on 3-4 bombers goes way down.

• @toblerone77:

Carriers and fighters are the best combo as far as I’m concerned on offense or defense.

I’ll guarantee a CV/FIG combo with destroyers will make most think twice about using bombers. :evil:

I would attack 1 AC and 2 fighters with 3 bombers. Would i attack 2 battleships with 3 bombers? Umm hell no! And against the AC + fighters, if i throw in a 6 ipc sub, now I have an 1 in 3 chance in every round of combat that i dont even need to kill the fighters. I just sink the AC, step back and watch them die? Do battelships have that vulnerability? no sir.

• @toblerone77:

I’m going to try incorporating cruisers more into the game. I think alot of folks are already writing them off whereas I think they may have some value as a ‘poor man’s’ battleship.

Im not buying the cruiser so far. If you are truly poor, and need a capital ship that can bombard, you are wasting money buying a cruiser. For 8 ipcs more, you get more firepower, save a fodder ship in every future naval battle, increase your chance of hitting in bombardment by 1/6, which increases your chances of saving land units in battles. Battelships quickly pay for the diff in price, and then save you so much more in the long run.

• In your opinions, do you think giving Cruiser’s ASW capability make up for their pitiful status?

Its still early but I like Cruisers, esp for the UK.  Given the number of Amphib assualts they do throughout the game and never having to worry about AA-fire (ftrs would be the other option).

As for 3 boms vs. 1 ac + 2 ftrs.

Yes bombers are great, but people sailing around an AC/2 ftrs with no fodder deserve to get them sunk.  There is really no reason that person shouldn’t have a 1-2 dd for fodder.  I don’t see this as a particularly likely scenerio.  Maybe you catch someone napping but I wouldn’t count on running across this scenerio a lot.  I guess with the Italian ships but that’s part of the setup.

I like to have the bare minimum of DD, since they only serve as fodder, I want just enough to deter an attack but not so many where I’ve wasted some IPCs.  At least with the CA you can still bombard.

US I’ll go more AC/ftr for flexibility.  Since UK should be doing the bombardment (going before the US), the US can provide the extra defense and mobility.

• @DarthMaximus:

As for 3 boms vs. 1 ac + 2 ftrs.

Yes bombers are great, but people sailing around an AC/2 ftrs with no fodder deserve to get them sunk.  There is really no reason that person shouldn’t have a 1-2 dd for fodder.  I don’t see this as a particularly likely scenerio.  Maybe you catch someone napping but I wouldn’t count on running across this scenerio a lot.  I guess with the Italian ships but that’s part of the setup.

Yes you can add fodders units to the AC + fighters. But then, to be fair you add them to the battleships as well.

Attack Fleet #1: 2 fighters/AC/3 DDs  or

attack Fleet#2: 2 BBs/3 DDs  with bombers?

Id still be more wary of the Battleship fleet. Lets say our opponent hits us with 6 bombers. Thats an average of 4 hits. Fleet #1 loses 3 destroyers, and 1 fighter (cant take the AC, as that would auto kill remaining fighters). After 1 round, they are left with 1 AC and 1 fighter. -34 ipcs. Defensive punch remaining: 6 –  Fleet #2 takes those 4 hits and loses only two destoyers. left with 2 BBs and 1 DD. -16 ipcs. D-Punch remaining: 10. True, fleet #1 had a 33% better chance of taking out an extra bomber on round 1, but fleet #2 has a 66% better chance to take out an extra bomber on r2.

The greater  Punch left after round 1 of combat, as well as the IPCs saved, make the battelship fleet alot less prone to strafe attacks. And make a better than average first round of dice by the defending battelship fleet much more scary to the attacker.

• @TG:

In your opinions, do you think giving Cruiser’s ASW capability make up for their pitiful status?

what is ASW?

• @AxisOfEvil:

what is ASW?

Anti Submarine Warfare.  The anti sub abilities that Destroyers have.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m