• yeah, my games ends when a particular side can’t really fight back anymore. last game was called as germany couldn’t get off the defensive and no one else could help her, and japan was pushed back to her main island

yet we’ve played on when russia fell, as japan fell around the same time

• @Funcioneta:

Title:  Pharaoh builds german fleet … again (1941)
    Date:  11th and 18th of December
    Special Rules:  played with NO’s and Tech. Target: 18 VCs. Face to face game.
    Victor:  Both sides decided stop and call a draw by time issues. Unsure possible result
    Game Length:  8 hours, 7 rounds

Continuing AAR:

Allies managed retake Africa and kill one of the two italian fleets, closing the Mediterranean for the other (that was busy taking Madagascar). Japan managed taking India but soviets could retake. USA’s fleet, in a bad move by me, attacked Japan’s fleet and lost (tons of units killed both sides, but japs survived with 2 bb abd 1 fig).

China halted in the last territory, couldn’t attack or pop more inf but japs prefered attack India with Manchurian tanks. Soviets stopped siberian advance in evenki.

Western axis player played very bad. He risked tanks here and there for nothing, and received multiple landings from UK, and a last one from USA (D-Day). Soviets become a monster (54 IPCs with war bonds and taking Romania NO), but Japan was a even greater monster (62 IPCs). USA was 43 many turns, only the last earning 61 because of D-Day.

Conclusions:

East Indies IC was pretty good for attacking India, but I continue thinking the main failure of this setup is China’s setup and China special rules. Allies couldn’t make a coherent land asian campaign because China’s crappy status, so I guess soviets must send reinforcements to India to hold that. China simply cannot face Manchurian tanks, because cannot trade territories even with the fighter alive (they colect popcorn inf at begining of USA’s turn instead end of USA’s turn, a big disadvantage). Japan is a truly monster even fighting them, I never had enough money for fleet as USA (imagine a uncontested Japan). I think the game was still undecided because germans and italians were in serious danger, but a better western axis player would toast us.

On the bad side, China rules and setup simply makes the game too hard for allies. And game has not enough japanese markers, we had to take old ones from Revised  :-P

On the positive side, the map itself and the territories are very good. Eastern front is more dinamic than ever and it’s a pleasure having a chance of fight for Karelia as soviets for once, while Siberia finally reflects the long distances of real life. Pacific ocean has also many interesting changes and China territories are easy to mod into balanced house rules. I also think new subs rules have potential for Germany, a pity the german player did try AC instead them.

• @TG:

Congratulations, Emr.  Even with your post you’ve made it on the Axis leaderboard.  Many people, including myself, haven’t cracked that one yet.

A single question:

How did you make it to Caucuses in three turns?  Even at it’s short, through Burma-India-Persia, you had to at least blitz through two territories in one turn.  That’s quite an incredible drive.

I don’t think this is the right thread to get into it, but:
    UK Built a complex in India on turn 1.  I took that round 2 (did I mention UK had ultra cold dice?).  Italy!? took Trans Jordan 1st round, UK failed to retake it (how he cursed his dice!) and Italy opened the hole in Persia round 2 for Japan to blitz through into the Caucuses in round 3.

• Title: The Magic Roundabout ! (1941 AA50)
    **Date:**15/Dec/2008
    Special Rules: Techs and NO’s , all OOB
    Victor: Draw  :lol:
    Game Length: 14 Hours, Unknown number of turns…
    **Bias:**Both my friend and I are basically the same skill level, and do things that would get us squashed by Mr Frood and Mrs Maths wiz in about 5 seconds… here though we have fun !

The Brits went with a IC in SAF and India, while the Axis went Tank Crazy in Germany, trading with Tanks, attacking with Tanks, defending with Tanks… did I mentiuon they bought a LOT OF TANKS ?  The Japs bumbled about leaving the brits to expand in africa and build up defence for India… in a game that went on and on and on LOL… India fell, was liberated by Russia, then fell again, The Italian Navy was wiped out by US bmr’s… rebuilt… then wiped out by the UK airforce based in Caucasus.

The Us Navy and the Jap Navy were smashed to bits at Wake, the remaining Jap ships bombed to bits… a US BB and AC eventually took up residence off Japan, but were looking to suffer a BMR fate… Japan had at least 3 IC’s on the mainland, and was pushing a massive force through India (The Flying Tigers survived Round 1 and were defending the last bit of China with a US FTR , Chinese, UK ARM and Russian INF.

The Russians got mechanized Tech and stuffed a load of ARM and INF into persia to stop the JApanese pushing through … while UK crammed units through z5 wherever they could, liberated Karelia with Advanced ART and the Yanks set up a ‘stream’ of units to Africa through Algeria…  even at this point it looked like it could go either way, (Both Germany and JApan had large unit build ups closing on Russia…) but my friend had to go home to get ready for work the next day LOL… and I had to try and get some sleep…

Face to Face is brilliant, since we are so evenly matched, while some of the fights and such that occured (particularily in Africa) would never happen in here with all the experts around in this place…  :-D

• Funcioneta,

Do you think getting rid of the silly rule that China can’t mobilize infantry in a territory already supporting 3 infantry help China’s odds any?

• Title:  Doolittle Rides Again/1942 Setup
    Date:  December 6th, 2008 
    Special Rules:  NO’s + Tech
    Victor:  Allied Victory by Concession. 
    Game Length: 6.5 hours.
    Bias:  I am the oldest player, all others about even. 
    Description: 
    Allies: Pacific Used balance strategy, UK built factory India.  Shocked at how effective China was at absorbing Jap Ftrs, it took Jap five fullrounds to catch China.  Typical stuff in Europe, Italy still very effective, constant push btwn USA/UK and Italy in Africa.  Typical maxium extend by Axis, Allies catch up at Mid game and push back, great fun had by all.

• @TG:

Funcioneta,

Do you think getting rid of the silly rule that China can’t mobilize infantry in a territory already supporting 3 infantry help China’s odds any?

Yes, it would aid. As now, makes difficult stack forces and at times you simply must retreat your main force and safrice one popping inf. Not a great aid but at least would improve defense. Maybe mobilizing from a IC would better, even if only inf mobilizes (as in AAPacific).

China should count how many infs pop at end of turn. As now, It’s too easy for Japan reduce China to pop only one inf.

• Yes, the “3 infantry or more” rule looked so gimmicky when I first read it.  It is just another superflous rule to keep track of.

From now on, I’ve dropped it.

• i feel it would be more advantageous to count how many territories China has at the END of its turn, to see how many infantry they recieve. that way if China re-takes any territories, they get an extra inf or 2

• Title:  Splish, Splash, the Japs were taking a Bath… (1942)
    Date:  …Long about a Saturday night… 20 December 2008
    Special Rules:  Techs and NO’s
      - Attempted to go for LHTR Super Bombers rules but was vetoed down
      - Gang voted 3-2 to play with tech
    VictorAllied Victory
      - Germany finally croaked “please take your foot off my neck… I can’t breathe…”
    Game Length:  6 hours/3 rounds … yeah, we’re slow movers
    Bias:  Sides seemed pretty balanced. Japanese had some really cold dice and they never recovered from J1.
    Description:

G1: Tech*2. Germany opened by sinking the British navy and digging in on the Eastern Front. Loses the U-Boat fleet.

R1: Tech. Takes Finland and digs in for defense

J1: Tech*2. Transport.

• Japan had a great textbook opening attempting to sink the entire US fleet
    • Takes Burma
    • Skipped the Philippines
    • Takes East Indies
    • Takes Borneo
    • Destroyed the Chinese ftr

Japan lost 5 of it’s fighters and the US BB survived.

UK1: Tech.

• Strikes German fleet in Baltic
    • Builds CV, 2*DD, Transport
    • Withdraws from Africa & digs into India
    • Surviving Indian fleet sinks Japanese transport & blocks Australia from surface assault
    • Australian fleet sets up in Carolina Island in anticipation of US fleet consolidating there

I1: Trans-Jordan & Egypt

Observations/Recommendations
    Agreed that the next game we’ll attempt without tech. Seems to make it too much of a crap shoot/game breaker.

US/UK/Japan ended up with Long Range Aircraft as tech

Japan never recovered from the loss of it’s Air Force on the first move and failed to see US setting up in the Philippines. Japan was left empty and US walked in on US3 after a brief naval conflict. After Japan fell it was just a matter of time – though there was a brief moment where Germany might have pulled off taking USSR.

Long Range Aircraft really shrinks the Pacific and turns the tide for whoever gets it first. US had fighters and bombers in Australia as defense and the tech advantage gave them global reach. Japan should have gone totally defensive after that tech roll and waited for Germany and Italy to take Russia.

Germany & Italy were doing some amazing work in the Caucasus. That is a pretty scary combo punch down there when they finally get it wired. My hat is off to the coordinated action down there.

• Title:  The Battle of Japan Sea (1941)
    Date: December 22nd, 2008
    Special Rules:  Tech ONLY
    Victor:  Axis by Victory Cities (12)
    Game Length:  Four Rounds – Six hours
    Bias:  About Even.  Three players – 2 Allies (Me and my rookie bother), 1 Axis (Capable Friend)
    Description:
    Axis:  Germany rolled on Russia, capturing Leningrad and Stalingrad before being pushed back.  Luftwaffe menaced UK’s Navy.  Italy took over most of Africa and even took India via Persia.  Japan concentrated on protecting its Dutch possessions and conquered Australia.
    Allies:  Russia successful stalled Germany long enough for the inevitable UK expeditionary force to arrive.  After liberating Stalingrad, Russia shifted infantry to help China.  UK took Norway, Finland, and liberated Leningrad.  USA concentrated on the Pacific, amassing a huge navy and blockading Japan.   
    Endgame:  On the same turn Japan unlocked Jet Fighters, Japan swung its entire Navy from the Philippines to attack the US blockade in the Sea of Japan.  After furious dice rolling (Japan had 3 fully loaded carriers + support craft; USA had 1 carrier, but many submarines, battleships, and cruisers), Japan broke USA’s Navy, forcing a VC Victory by taking Hawaii. 
    Observations:  I love this game. :-D  Being able to recreate the Battle of Leyte Gulf, but under different circumstances was glorious.  Italy was the little engine that could.  The Victory City concept is brilliant, it really leads to tense, climatic games.

• Title:  The game that wouldn’t end
    Date: December 22nd, 2008
    Special Rules:  No tech No NOs
    Victor:  Axis by concession since it was 1am
    Game Length:  8-9 rounds 6 hours
    Bias:  About Even.  Three players – 1 Allies (Me), 2 Axis (One less experienced then me(Germany), 1 more experienced(Italy, Japan)
    Description:

Germany and Russia did the normal dance, some crazy dice(should have been playing low luck) made the front stall many times when it should have probably pushed through. Italy mixed between Africa and Europe. Germany sent a little bit to africa.

UK built fleet and then started ferrying troops to W.E
    U.S is what cost me the game. I saw a chance to try to sink the Italian fleet on US 2 using 2 bombers and 2 fighters vs their regular 2 cruisers and 1 BB. I had poor luck and ended up only sinking the 2 cruisers at a cost of all my planes. that really stalled US. I had planned on SBR on italy but after that I switched to ferrying to italy.

Japan did its regular Godzilla thing. I was able to slow it down quite a bit by moving some Russians to china and blocking india with UK. They ended up mostly going the north route which took them a while.

In the end Japan just got too big and I never could hold W.E and that darn Italian navy rebuilt somewhat and they finally secured the channel via Godzilla might and got the Japanese fleet through.
    Africa was mostly held by the allies the whole game.

Observations: trying to sink the Italian navy on U.S 2 via air was too risky given the randomness of dice. I need a better way to take advantage of pressure I put on W.E for russia to push forward. As it was I wasn’t able to make good ground in the east. By the time they were running out of troops, UK’s income had been whittled down so much they could only make 5 inf a turn and hodling W.E became impossible

• Title:  Operation Sealion Turned (1941)
    Date: December 21st, 2008
    Victor:  Allies by concession
    Game Length:  Five hours
    Bias:  About Even.  Five players – 3 Allies (Me, Amber, Flint) and 2 Axis (Jacob, Sony)
    Description:
    Endgame:  On UK1, Amber made a forced landing at Normandy.  On G2, instead of retaking Normandy, the Germans (who had unlocked paratroopers G1) launched a bold invasion of London.  High risk; high reward.  Well, the invasion failed (the odds were 45/55 to begin with) and Germany lost her entire air force.  The game ended with that (except for a Japanese invasion of the West Coast, which should have been successful but wasn’t), and the the rest of the rounds were spent going through the motions.          Observations
    This game ended on a downer.  Either way you had a lose-lose situation.  If the Germans had succeeded in taking London (on the second round), there’s no way the Allies could have recovered.  The Germans, by not being able to take London, sealed their fate.  The game was doomed to end prematurely.  Bottom line: Axis and Allies aren’t for cocksure, “me-first” players.

• @TG:

Title:  Operation Sealion Turned (1941)
    Date: December 21st, 2008
    Victor:  Allies by concession
    Game Length:  Five hours
    Bias:  About Even.  Five players – 3 Allies (Me, Amber, Flint) and 2 Axis (Jacob, Sony)
    Description:
    Endgame:  On UK1, Amber made a forced landing at Normandy.  On G2, instead of retaking Normandy, the Germans (who had unlocked paratroopers G1) launched a bold invasion of London.  High risk; high reward.  Well, the invasion failed (the odds were 45/55 to begin with) and Germany lost her entire air force.  The game ended with that (except for a Japanese invasion of the West Coast, which should have been successful but wasn’t), and the the rest of the rounds were spent going through the motions.          Observations
    This game ended on a downer.  Either way you had a lose-lose situation.  If the Germans had succeeded in taking London (on the second round), there’s no way the Allies could have recovered.  The Germans, by not being able to take London, sealed their fate.  The game was doomed to end prematurely.  Bottom line: Axis and Allies aren’t for cocksure, “me-first” players.

THIS is the reason instant tech sucks.
    Too much dice involved.  Getting the tech, then trying to apply the just gotten tech.

• sure, but that example wasn’t instant tech, right?  just that the uk player left himself a bit open, all things considered, and the german player made an annoying decision to risk the game on a 45% chance of success.  I don’t know, maybe he thought he was losing already.

stuff like that happens without any tech involved, too.

• eumaies is mostly correct.  Even though I was Russia, I said to the German repeatedly, “This is not a good idea.  The odds against you.  If this invasion fails, you will have lost your entire air force and the UK’s Navy will be looking down on you.  This is not a sound decision.”  And I was right.  Even though Britain had left herself wide open, the British still won the battle with two fighters and a bomber remaining.  And I don’t think you could really blame the dice.

Allies_Fly is also correct.  Usually when a “novice” unlocks a tech they become fixated on it.  This is sometimes correct. Other times you have the German building bombers when what they really need is tanks and infantry.

• @eumaies:

sure, but that example wasn’t instant tech, right?  just that the uk player left himself a bit open,

My apologies, I glossed over the G1 development of paratroopers.

Based on that achieved tech, UK either made a mistake or intentionally left a 50-50 battle knowing it could lose the game for Germany if London was not taken, but may not lose the game for the allies if london was lost.

• Now that I reconsider it, the German’s odds were more like 40/60.  Even if it was 45/55, I still don’t make a attack unless I know I have a 60/40 chance of winning or can at least inflict a disproportionate amount of IPC damage (ex. 1 Tank attacking 4 parked Bombers) to the enemy.  Germany losing the Battle of Britain was a HUGE IPC loss (at least 80 IPCs in fighters and bombers).

• I’m not sure how paras would improve Sea Lion too much in G1. After all, it would add only one inf to the invasion. HBs or LRA would be better:

Paras: 2 inf, 1 arm, 2 fig, bomb (6 vs 7 in UK) -> 15 vs 23 punch
    HBs: 1 inf, 1 arm , but HBs attack twice (5 vs 7) -> 18 vs 23 punch
    LRA: 1 inf, 1 arm, 4 fig, bomber (7 vs 7) -> 21 vs 25 punch

Seems a bad move for germans. With paras, would be better and safer for the bomber improve the assault on Egypt

• Title:  Cannae (1941)
    Date: December 24th, 2008
    Victor:  Axis by concession
    Game Length:  Six hours
    Bias:  Experience favored the Axis.  Six players – 3 Allies (Kevin, Amber, Jeremy) and 3 Axis (Me, Sony, Flint)
    Description:
    Allies:  Russia counterattacked and drove on East Poland and as far South as Romania.  UK split IPCs between an IC in India and having their navy sunk by the German Luftwaffe each turn.  USA bothered Japan.   
    Axis:  Italy did its thing in Africa.  Japan hulk smashed.  Germany took Leningrad, built up a panzer reserve there, and after unlocking Mechanized Infantry, swung south and encircled several Soviet armies in Eastern Russia, while simultaneously putting pressure on Moscow. 
    Endgame:  Without Allied help, Germany was too much for Russia and their front collapsed.     
    Observations
    “The Trap” was a textbook maneuver by the Germans.  The Russians made the mistake of overextend themselves and were enveloped.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m