• @Stoob:

axis_roll, you really make me laugh.  I didn’t “proclaim” anything… you quote my post in order to then misquote me and twist my statement.  Are you really trying to be this unnecessarily negative and/or argumentative?  I hope not.

I said in fact, quite the opposite, that it’s “too early to tell in my opinion to make a definitive conclusion” in regards to bias.   Sure Long Range helps the Allies win, but the other table had an Allied win as well, with an Axis advantage in skill and no tech rolls.

Respectfully and without ill will towards you, I ask kindly to keep it positive and take any negativity elsewhere with someone else, please?  You are welcome for the detailed after action report.

WTF dude?  Sorry I chose the wrong verb in your eyes.  I think YOU chose the negative connotations of my statement.  There was no hidden attacking agenda, I can assure you.  One of the definitions of proclaim is:

“to indicate or make known publicly or openly”

The internet is a pretty open public place.

I was merely trying to point out that the allies twice won with NO’s but that you typed (good enough verb for you?) 1941 version with NO’s has an Axis bias.

Your conclusion contradicts the two game outcomes you reported.  So I asked if tech made up for that inconsistency.

And you did eventually answer that question: tech was not a factor in the allied win.

Can you follow-up with reasons as to why:

@Stoob:

Too early to tell in my opinion to make a definitive conclusion, but I’d say it’s looking like with NOs 1941 has an Axis bias.

• For of all, you misread my original post which said there were “Special Rules:  1941 with Tech but not Nos”  – that means NOT N.Os.  Both games did not use National Objectives.

Secondly, I give up.  You win.   This forum and these people are definitely not my style.  I’m done having conversations like this.  Sorry to do…whatever I did.   I’m not going post anywhere but in this thread anymore and will avoid posting any more commentary on these After Action Reports.  Hopefully this will prevent further conversations like this one which are a waste of time and database.  I like the game and hope that by limiting my posts to commentary-free facts it may somehow contribute in some small way to making the game experience better for everyone.  Please don’t bother replying, just keep this thread for the factual reports, good luck to ya.

• Apologies that I missed the “No NO’s” part of your post.  However, it didn’t follow with your comment on the game bias, so I was confused and made a wrong assumption.    :-(

All this because I wrote “proclaim” instead of “typed”.  BTW, I did ask you to clarify your opinion regarding the game balance because your train of thought was non-sequitur to me.  :?

Sorry you are so stressed about a message board that discusses a game in which the goal is to have fun.  :|

To quote a classic comedy from the 1980’s
    “Lighten up Francis”
    :-D

• Title:  Atlantic Fleets collide
    Date:  3/15/09
    Special Rules:  1941 NO Tech YES Nos
    Victor:  Axis Victory
    Game Length:  8? full rounds
    Bias: Slight Allied advantage in skill
    Description:
    Allies: Went after Europe hard, landing a large quantity of forces into africa
    Axis: Germany fleet held in the baltic, Italian fleet with Japanesse backup held in the med.  Germany pounded Russia hard early, then pulled back to protect the coast with Japan harrasing the US and pushing hard toward the middle east.

Deciding Point: Was when the allies lost way to many boats taking down the axis fleets, and were then mopped up by axis air.

• Okay.  I had a chance to update.

The last two games should be up now.  :-D

• That game against bugoo was one of 4 if I remember correctly, I feel that I played bad in both that game and the other game I lost as allies, especially with naval warfare. We played 4 games total and axis won all of them. From rnd 4-5 in both my axis games I felt I couldn’t loose.

As allies I thought I probably would loose after turn1  :|

For me there’s one of 2 options, either we’re doing something wrong with allies, can’t play Russia right, or naval warfare, or axis have an advantage which is perhaps as big as the allies got in AAR w/o bids.

• I’m edging closer and closer to the latter.

After five months I think it’s time we had a look into a bidding system.

• I think the axis advantage in AA50 is in fact greater than the allied advantage in Revised. After all, many would agree that axis had about 40% chance of win without bids in Revised, and I think the chance was near to 50% playing 4 players face to face.

Now I don’t feel allies have even near a 40 % chance of win in AA50, and splitting axis team in two players will not change much, even if one plays germans and the other ITA + JAP, because axis fleets usually don’t need much cooperation

I think axis advantage in AA50 is closer to allied advantage in Classic than Revised one

• Classic was ridiculously in favor of the ALlies – it wasn’t even close after Russia moved.  Even after Russia got restricted, the Allies were still at a supreme advantage.  But you’re right:

(imbalance) Revised < Anniversary < Classic

• Title:  Spring Break '41 (1941)
    Date:  3/22
    Special Rules:  Tech: yes (Heavy Bombers nerfed to roll at 5 for attack and greater of two dice for SBR) NO: yes
    Victor:  Allies (Axis concession)
    Game Length:  4.5 hours
    Bias:  About even
    Description:  Started KJF but Russia got some incredible rolls making Germany an attractive target.  German vulnerability and Italy having some success in the Med diverted a huge amount of US focus to Europe/Africa who focused soley at Italy to help Russia fight a one front war.  The UK by round 3 had IC’s in India, Australia and the East Indies which after holding against Japanese invasion started pumping out more ships (from E Indies and Australia) and tanks than Japan could handle.  UK made a huge point to sink any Japanese transport that was built, which made retaking the Phillipines and Borneo fairly easy especially after the UK got Paratroopers.  The UK single-handedly would’ve crushed Japan if not for the USA making quick work of Italy, forcing an Axis concession.
    Observations/Recommendations:  Japan should have gone straight for the E. Indies but viewed America as a bigger threat, did not see 100% of UK’s effort going into Asia.  Allowing the US player to focus soley on Italy sped up what was becoming a certain allied victory.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@TG:

Classic was ridiculously in favor of the ALlies – it wasn’t even close after Russia moved.  Even after Russia got restricted, the Allies were still at a supreme advantage.  But you’re right:

(imbalance) Revised < Anniversary < Classic

I’d say least balanced:

Classic Worst, in favor of Allies
    Revised Bad, in favor of Allies
    Anniversary, close to neutral, can have a very slight bias for the allies or the axis depending on how round 1 turns out.

• Title:  USA in the Pacific
    Date:  3/23/09
    Special Rules:  1941 with Tech + NOs
    Victor:  Axis Victory > Allied Concession
    Game Length:  Almost 5 full rounds
    Bias: About equal

This game went pretty fast.  USA adopted a strategy of “all in” in the Pacific.  Only USA action in the Atlantic was one landing at Algeria.  USA max build every turn in Western USA.  Culminated in a big naval battle in the Philippines which the USA won, but without enough forces left to threaten Japanese Empire seriously.

Germany slowly moved in on Russia and by the end of turn 5 Moscow was virtually surrounded and would have fallen on turn 7 for sure - no help was on the way from UK or USA for Moscow.  Game conceeded by Allies.

UK got Long Range Aircraft, it helped sink a transport here or there was not a major factor.

3/24/2009	1941 with Tech + NOs				General Strategy: USA Max Pacific	
    	Ger	Russia	Japan	UK	Italy	USA
    1	45	31	40	42	15	49
    2	49	31	54	43	10	49
    3	49	25	59	26	10	40
    4	53	31	65	19	14	50
    5	54	28	57	31	Conceded	

Axis by Team

G	J	It	
    1	45	40	15	100
    2	49	54	10	113
    3	49	59	10	118
    4	53	65	14	132
    5	54	57		111
    6				0
    7				0
    8				0

Axis	250	275	49	574

Allies by team

R	UK	US	
    1	31	42	49	122
    2	31	43	49	123
    3	25	26	40	91
    4	31	19	50	100
    5	28	31		59
    6				0
    7				0
    8				0

Allies	146	161	188	495

Major Events
    1 UK gets Long Range Aircraft, Germany tries and fails to take Egypt, sinks some UK fleet , Japan builds factory in FIC
    2 Rus/Ger trade Karelia, Italy fails to Take Egypt, Japan Takes Egypt, UK sneaks into France
    3 Japan expands into Africa, build mighty sea force to match US plus IC in Manchuria, UK sinks italian fleet, France is retaken
    4 Massive Sea/Air Battle In Pacific, Heavy Losses but US is Victorious, takes back Java
    5 Japanese forces in Persia and eliminate China, Germany tanks in East Ukraine, Allies Conceed

• Title:  1941 With New Players
    Date:  3/28/09
    Victor:  Allied Victory > Axis Concession
    Game Length:  4 rounds

All players at the board were new (1 game experience or 0 games experience) except for Italy who has played about 10 games of AA50.

The game took some interesting turns.   The players were willing to make attacks that sometimes were not in their % favor, with the exception of UK and Italy who did not make risky attacks.

Major Events Turn 1:

1. Germany took Karelia and Russia took it right back.
    2. Germany attacked Egypt but did not get any hits first round and withdrew.  UK counter attacked and took Libya.
    3. Japan played conservatively, taking Philippines along with Borneo and East Indies.  Japan did not advance into China.  Japan attacked and sunk the Battleship in Hawaii with fighters.
    4. UK moved in and took Morocco.

Turn 2:

1. Germany and Russia once again traded territories, but Russia rolled well and was left in a defensible position.  Russia income above 30.
    2. USA builds in Western and Eastern, adopting a balanced strategy, and lands in Morocco.
    3. Germany builds a couple bombers and UK builds a fleet to match.

Turn 3:
    By turn 3 Japan had only secured 1 of its National Objectives.  As a result income was in the low 30s.  Germany had also failed to secure more than 1 of its National Objectives, and Russia income was now greater than Germany income.

Turn 4:
    UK sinks Italian fleet and secures Africa.  I did not record numbers sorry, but by this turn incomes of the Allies were superior to any of the incomes of the Axis.  Meaning UK, Russia and USA each had an income that was greater than any of the Axis.  Germany was in the 30s and so was Japan.  Russia stunned the table with a 52 income after taking Finland and Bulgaria and Balkans in the same Round.

Axis conceeds.

• Title:  Rookies for AA50, But not A&A 1941
    Date:  4/5/09
    Victor:  Axis Victory by Allied Concession
    Game Length:  5.5 rounds
    Bias: Experienced Axis Player (Japan) and Experienced Allied Player (Russia), rest Rookies to AA50

Tech almost turned this game from a dashing Axis victory to a slim Allied win.  All players (except Italy) rolled for Techs, but only the Allied players succeeded.  In Round 1 German took out the UK in the Med Sea and Egypt.  Italy was able to mop up and move toward Russia.  Japan had great dice and lost virtually nothing on round 1.  India was ripe for the taking on J2 as was Australia.

The US spent 90% of its IPCs on the Pacific.  It caused some problems and 2 seperate fleets begun to move towards the Japanese.  On J3 a classic pincher move with Carriers, 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, surrounded by Destroyers sent both fleets to the bottom of the sea. This however slowed down Japanese movement toward Russia and allowed China to just ‘hang around’.

Russia began to fade and a failed invasion of France on UK4 doomed Europe.  The USA got Heavy Bombers on US4 and started to become a real problem.  Japan fully dominated the Pacific landmass and the islands, but Heavy Bombers out of Alaska started to put some dents in the fleets.

Luckily Moscow fell on G5.  It was recovered on Russia5, but Italy and Japan were closing in. The Soviets could not last another round and UK was all but useless with a few men in Great Britain and a couple in South Africa.  The US could have survived a few more rounds but a Axis victory was declared b/c Europe and most of Asia was engulfed.  Another fun adventure in AA50 1941.  It was quite evident to me that Russia needs to go on some offensive to keep Germany from just pushing the entire game. Also the US strategy for hitting the Pacific played a bit differently could have been disasterous for the Japan.

• One of the problems with USA directly confronting Japan is that if America loses it’s first fleet or takes severe losses on it, USA must spend the next few turns rebuilding it.  This is really a tempo setback for the United States.

• I would completely agree.  The US lose its fleet and for the next few turns they could do very little.  It neutralized the threat to the Japanese island holdings and allowed a push toward Moscow.  The UK without US help could not hold Europe or even put enough pressure on Germany, that late in the game, to stop them from charging east and ending things.  What always amazes me is how Techs change the game.  W/o heavy bombers the US would have conceded and the game would have ended a turn earlier. Happy gaming!!

• Title:  Allies Take Capitals but Lose Anyway!
    Date:  4/10/09
    Special Rules:  1942 with Tech + NOs
    Victor:  Axis Victory > Allied Concession
    Game Length:  8 rounds

Japan	Russia	Germany	UK	Italy	USA
    1	41	29	54	39	12	48
    2	46	28	51	33	24	48
    3	54	29	39	39	24	47
    4	56	27	49	40	28	55
    5	60	22	50	37	30	49
    6	72	15	52	83	25	43
    7	77	11	45	20	19	53
    8	68	15	54	24	23	78

Axis	394	474	185	1053

G	J	It	
    1	54	41	12	107
    2	51	46	24	121
    3	39	54	24	117
    4	49	56	28	133
    5	50	60	30	140
    6	52	72	25	149
    7	45	77	19	141
    8	54	68	23	145

Allies	176	315	421	912
    	R	UK	US	
    1	29	39	48	116
    2	28	33	48	109
    3	29	39	47	115
    4	27	40	55	122
    5	22	37	49	108
    6	15	83	43	141
    7	11	20	53	84
    8	15	24	78	117

Major Events
    1 Russia has bad opening, gets unluckky, Germany sinks a lot of UK fleet, US takes solomons
    2 UK takes Norway, Germany takes Karelia, Japan begins building factories in Asia
    3 UK takes Finland, Russia liberates Karelia, UK withdraws from Egypt, Italy takes it
    4 UK takes france, Italy takes it back, US lands in Morocco
    5 Japan defeats China, closes on Mosow, Italy own most of Africa, Japan retakes solomons
    6 UK gets very lucky and takes germany amphibiously, Italy liberates
    7 Japan attacks Moscow and fails, but Moscow is weakened heavily
    8 USA attacks and takes Italy
    9      Japan takes moscow, allies conceed.

• List has been updated.

• Title:  A bridge too far 1941
    Date:  April 10th, 2009
    Special Rules:  NO’s
    Victor:  Allies Victory by Concession
    Game Length:  4h
    Bias:  About equal.
    Description:
    Allies: Adopted a Kill Germany First (KGF) strategy.  UK divided it’s forces between India and Europe. USA made landings in Norway and Congo Africa via Brazil while still sending reinforcements in Pacific.  Russia kept their ground in front of Germany , fighting for the big 3s.

Axis: Japan conquered  most of Asia but were stalled in the Burma jungles, faced by the dreaded Indian IC, dubbed: ‘‘call center’’.  Germany steadily advannced on Russia, marching trough Poland.  Italy was overwhelmed in Africa after breifly holding Egypt.

On their biggest push toward Russia, Germany was stopped near a bridge in  Poland and ambushed by two subsequent massive allies landing that destroyed all of it’s panzer forces, luftwaffe and opened a clear way for the Red Army. It was soon followed by surrender.

Observations/Recommendations:
    Allies won, despite their heavier losses in Poland, they still had a huge production advantage and there was no way for Germany to replaces it’s tank and planes. Japan was stalled long enough and failed to take India.
    Link:  None

• USA made landings in Norway and Congo Africa via Brazil while still sending reinforcements in Pacific.  Russia kept their ground in front of Germany , fighting for the big 3s.

How did USA manage to do that all in one game?  To me that seems like a dilution of effort and a logistical nightmare.  You could probably get 2 of 3, but how did the Axis react to all 3?

On their biggest push toward Russia, Germany was stopped near a bridge in  Poland and ambushed by two subsequent massive allies landing that destroyed all of it’s panzer forces, luftwaffe and opened a clear way for the Red Army. It was soon followed by surrender.

You know, I often wondered how the war would’ve ended in real life if the Allies (USA/UK) attempted a landing closer to Berlin.  Perhaps not on Polish soil but somewhere along the German/Lowlands coastline.  Would’ve it have been a disaster or shortened the war?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m