• Japan can take the following turn 1 with relative assurance and ease (for ipc value): Malaya(4), Java(4), Sumatra(3), Borneo(3), Phillipines(3), Hong Kong(2), Celebres(1), and Dutch New Guinea(1). Total ipc gain: 21 ipc’s; for a total of 40. For strategical purposes, the following: New Britain,Wake, Guam, Gilbert Islands,and (if possible, not crucial): Kiangsu, Kwangsi, Shan State, Anhwe, or Solomon Islands.

After raiding Pearl Harbour, return the carriers to the Marianas. Move the other carrier to join the Battle ship off of Java. Move the battleship from Japan to the Caroline Islands. The other battleship should already be off of New Britain.

I will be posting a detailed Strategy for all three(four) countries under ‘strategies’ soon.

Bear in my mind that I am playing Pacific with added cruisers from AARe, and with the amended prices, defense/attack values, as well as the new sub and transport rules.

• I can’t imagine why you would ever want Gilbert Islands, Wake or Guam.  Solomon Islands is certainly much better than Gilbert Islands and Midway is a better take than Wake.  You really don’t need Guam when you already have an airbase in Marianas.

I’ve previously posted a 4 VP J1 opening strategy.  It’s probably not far off of what you are proposing, with the exception that I would never intentionally leave the sz20 CVs in Marianas.  They are much better off moving to sz27 when you capture Midway and New Britain.

The strategy you are proposing may, of course, be viable considering you’re using altered rules and setup (cruisers from AARe, amended prices defense/attack values).  Do people actually play Pacific that way?

SS

• cruisers from AARe?

That dues not have cruisers, but AARHE does since day one.

• Playing with the new rules advises the Japanese to eliminate all potential allied air bases (Guam, Wake) behind the front. If not accomplished, the Americans can terrorize Japanese transports, or even bomb Japan if the Chinese capture Shangtung or Manchuria.

• @Lisi7266:

Playing with the new rules advises the Japanese to eliminate all potential allied air bases (Guam, Wake) behind the front. If not accomplished, the Americans can terrorize Japanese transports, or even bomb Japan if the Chinese capture Shangtung or Manchuria.

The US can bomb Japan if it captures Shantung or Manchuria whether or not it holds Guam and Wake.  Both Shantung and Manchuria are in range to move bombers from Hawaii in one turn.  They do not need staging areas in Wake or Guam.  If the Allies move bombers alone to Wake or Guam (certainly Guam, not so much Wake), Japan can counterattack with massive force and wipe out the bomber fleet before it can SBR the next turn.  The Allies can only make use of airbases in range of Japan if they can prevent a Japanese counterattack.  Therefore, SBR bases are really only viable around Allies 4 or 5, by which time the Allies can move forward sufficient fleet and ground units to either block or discourage such a counterattack.

I say again, you do not need to capture Wake or Guam and certainly not Gilbert Islands.  The last is not in range of anything that is not already in range of Hawaii, Australia or carrier based aircraft.

Under your rules, do the Chinese and US move separately?  Perhaps that’s the crucial difference.

SS

• Heres a basic summary of the rules my gaming group uses:
    Japan, British Commonwealth, United States, and China all move seperately (US should still play China). The chinese player can use any allied aircraft starting its turn in a space it owns, but must claim the aircraft at the start of its turn. After its turn is over, the aircraft can still be used by the country who owns it. However, china must use the aircraft (on its turn) to support its ground forces. Never can it conduct SBR’s, or attack ships. China plays before the US.

Set up: The set-up is amended to add crusiers: Japan starts with 1 crusier in each of the follwing sea zones: 36, 45, 34, 26, and 25. The British in seazones 50, 43 , and 30. The United States has 1 crusier in seazone 9, and two in seazone 5. They also start with an extra destroyer in seazone 3. Japan doesnt start with the submarine in seazone 20. Add a british destroyer in seazone 54,and remove the british sub in seazone 29. The IC in Chinas capital is removed (China can place its inf. in any terr. its owned since the beggining of its turn) as is the Industrial complex in Hawaii. Japan must also earn 28 victory points to win, or capture BOTH India and Australia to win. Never can Japan win by capturing the Western U.S. All new rules retaining to units in the anniversary edition are also used, with the exception that cruisers can move three spaces. Also, a enemy unit must be present in a convoy route to disrupt the ipc flow (panama convoy, alaskan convoy, etc….).

I can’t disagree with capturing Midway over Wake, or Solomons over Gilbert. It all depends on what Japans strategy is. If Japan fails to capture Midway, than moving the CV’s to seazone 25 is a viable option, however. I think that if Japan captures Midway the CV’S should remain in season 20. The battleship from Japan should be moved to seazone 20. This force will decimate any U.S. air attacking force on turn 1, and leave open more options for this fleet to destroy the U.S. navy on turn 2.

• Those rules make yours a completely different game.  So, I don’t really have much to add from a strategy perspective.  It’s not really AAPacific at all.  It is simply an A&A-type game played on the AAPacific map.  Sounds like fun, though.

SS

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m