• @MP84:

While we are talking about the pieces, does anyone have a positive ID on the Soviet bomber used in AA:50? I was thinking it might be a Petlyakov Pe-8, but the wingspan doesn’t really match the Pe-8.

Talking about the russian bomber, what is the stuff it has attached under the wings ?

• Official Q&A

@MP84:

While we are talking about the pieces, does anyone have a positive ID on the Soviet bomber used in AA:50? I was thinking it might be a Petlyakov Pe-8, but the wingspan doesn’t really match the Pe-8.

Yes, that’s what it’s supposed to be.

• If nothing else, the original MB Gamemaster pieces still work after years of use & abuse.

• Customizer

amen. my oldest a&a game is alive and ticking. sure the molds don’t look as cool but they function and stand up straight.

• I am Italian so go figure what I think about Italian miniatures, a bunch of recycled sculpts (we could call the game AA50 Recycled Edition).

However, after having posted various time about this argument, I have stopped to speak about that, because there are people that said to me that I am ranting, I am an ingrate and so on.

I would like to say only one thing: this is a lost opportunity. AA50 coul have been far better than it is right now. The lack of care in the detail show a lack of confidence in the product. I am still waiting my copy of the game purchased in pre-order and that has still to be delivered in Italy, added to the game, so maybe we could be inteterested? Who is the Marketing director at Wizard? Duffy Duck?
    They had made a 50 years anniverary edition to exploit that fact and sell a game, that according to them should have no market. Wizard prefer to sell Magic Cards and D&D manuals, they make a lot of money with that. A&A is an annoyance. The miniatures, the map, the dice, the rules a lot of think that are alla sealed in a single box and sold only one time? No other thing to sell each month? Like the Magic cards expansions? Or the D&D manuals? This is not a good marketin for them.

A real great game has been realized and sold in a really bad way.

• Opened the box yesterday - my pieces are generally OK, but a few had pent parts.

I think the problem is the relative hard plastic used for the pieces - a bit too brittle…

I also fear the “chinese workers” that cut the pieces hastened the job … should have been a better quality control…

(Guadalcanal seems to have better pieces - I also have RED Japanese Pieces from AAP - could use them fro my Italians ;))

I must admit I am not overly concerned - though a little more care should have been applied for an ANNIVERSARY edition.

I am still thinking I will simply use some AAM pieces with this game ;) (at least for the Italians - doubt I will need the Aquila)

Its hard to believe that the Russians (or Germans BTW) get a larger fleet than the Italians (5th largest fleet after US/UK/JP/FRANCE at the start of WWII)

I AM a bit disappointed, but overall the game looks like worth the pricetag.

• Customizer

@Romulus:

I am Italian so go figure what I think about Italian miniatures, a bunch of recycled sculpts (we could call the game AA50 Recycled Edition).

However, after having posted various time about this argument, I have stopped to speak about that, because there are people that said to me that I am ranting, I am an ingrate and so on.

I would like to say only one thing: this is a lost opportunity. AA50 coul have been far better than it is right now. The lack of care in the detail show a lack of confidence in the product. I am still waiting my copy of the game purchased in pre-order and that has still to be delivered in Italy, added to the game, so maybe we could be inteterested? Who is the Marketing director at Wizard? Duffy Duck?
    They had made a 50 years anniverary edition to exploit that fact and sell a game, that according to them should have no market. Wizard prefer to sell Magic Cards and D&D manuals, they make a lot of money with that. A&A is an annoyance. The miniatures, the map, the dice, the rules a lot of think that are alla sealed in a single box and sold only one time? No other thing to sell each month? Like the Magic cards expansions? Or the D&D manuals? This is not a good marketin for them.

A real great game has been realized and sold in a really bad way.

Agree with all this, the term half-baked seems most appropriate for this version.  It’s usually the case with products timed to coincide with an anniversary; lots of things get left unfinished or undone.
    For example the map has positive improvements in Asia, and questionable changes in Europe, but Africa is virtually unchanged and still looks nothing like Africa in 1941.

Regarding the quality of pieces, I’m afraid this goes back a long way.  Remember the great looking pieces on the box back of the original MB version?
    I already have around 52,657 A&A German infantry; I wanted quality Italian pieces not more of the same stuff.

• Flashman, half-backed is the correct term!

As you said, the game present a lot of improvements about the map, the rules, and the two available scenarios.
    Hovewer miniatures are not at the same quality level. And this is a pity.

• People: keep the comments going. I have word Larry is reading this thread and is taking corrective action on the next game.

I think its a new AA Europe.

• @Imperious:

Noooo, I want the “Attack and looting of Sweden” game  :x

• @Adlertag:

@Imperious:

Noooo, I want the “Attack and looting of Sweden” game  :x

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Very Funny! But seriously, I would like Mr. Harris to correct the issues with the current game in production instead of implementing the needed changes on the next game. I really don’t want AA50 going down as one of the biggest jokes in A&A history.

• i agree with Strabala. the quality of the pieces for this game should be corrected before moving on to the next. this is supposed to be the special version to remember, right?

make some swish new pieces, get everyone to send a copy of their purchase invoice, then send them new pieces. the amount of thankful players would be abundant!

• '10

I love the game, the pcs are ok with me.  My only disappointment was the lack of Italian pcs… re the cruisers etc.

Everyone here will have to admit, despite a few deficiencies…  the game is AWESOME.

If you are reading this Larry…  Thank you!  Keep it up!

• Customizer

I agree the game is awsome. My complaint, as well as other’s is just the quality and quantity of some of the components. It’s cool to have nation spacific pieces, but if it means poor quality I think it’s appropriate to complain about it. If all of the parties involved with the production of this game had decided to use even cardboard counters I’d have been happy. At 100.00 on average in retail stores people are going to get a little upset.

I shouldn’t have to canibalize my other A&A editions to make a proper game.

I did have an AC that was curved (AAR esp.) and cast poorly and wouldn’t sit flat on the board until I heated and bent it straight. I also have little white flecks in alot of the other pieces. Some ships have the super-structures half missing. I still am going to enjoy this game alot and am looking forward to playing but for money someone pays for this game I genuinely feel a little jipped.

This has been my experience with both AAR and AA50.

• Basically we need to send a chain-mail letter to every Wizards employee with what Toblerone just said.

• @toblerone77:

I agree the game is awsome. My complaint, as well as other’s is just the quality and quantity of some of the components. It’s cool to have nation spacific pieces, but if it means poor quality I think it’s appropriate to complain about it. If all of the parties involved with the production of this game had decided to use even cardboard counters I’d have been happy. At 100.00 on average in retail stores people are going to get a little upset.

I shouldn’t have to canibalize my other A&A editions to make a proper game.

I did have an AC that was curved (AAR esp.) and cast poorly and wouldn’t sit flat on the board until I heated and bent it straight. I also have little white flecks in alot of the other pieces. Some ships have the super-structures half missing. I still am going to enjoy this game alot and am looking forward to playing but for money someone pays for this game I genuinely feel a little jipped.

This has been my experience with both AAR and AA50.

Well said, +1.

LT

• Does anyone know if you can order extra playing pieces from Avalon Hill? The supplied number of Italian Navy units is kind of a joke…If they have any success in Africa, they need to be able to send men and materiel over. Using the chips to designate mulitiple transports is very cumbersome. And if you lose 1 cruiser piece, you’ve just lost half of the supplied cruisers.

I am quite interested in ordering extra pieces for all the nations, so does anyone know if this is possible?

• Nope, tried.  Avalon Hill won’t be supplying replacement pieces to the customer.  :|

• @TG:

Nope, tried.  Avalon Hill won’t be supplying replacement pieces to the customer.  :|

Any idea why? That makes no sense whatsoever. How can they expect that no AA player will lose some pieces and want some extras to replace them??Am I seriously going to have buy a AA Revised just to get some pieces?

• i’m seriously contemplating just buying another copy of AA50A. for the extra pieces, and as they may stop printing it

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m