• @Ol’:

So, I am trying to download battlemap and having difficulty doing so. I click on the link that takes you to the MediaFire website. I click on the button for downloading the program. I get a message in  the button that says your download is starting. Then all that happens is the page refreshes and I have no download. I have tried turning the security setting to the lowest and turning the pop-up blocker off. Still no success…yes I am at work  :-D

try it at home?

• OK, so I am not HolKann, TMTM, Funcioneta, or Stoney. But I do have an improvement to submit to ABattlemap for 1940 Global.

Since Larry changed the turn order again now in Alpha 3.9, the InfoView and Toolbar in ABattlemap have the countries in the wrong order. I have fixed this. However, I’m afraid I didn’t really create a new version of battlemap, and am probably doing this wrong. But I had another player test it on his computer and it works for him too. Here’s what you do:

1. Download the 7 files from Mediafire
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ksbh73nv51ngo

2. Copy them into your GA3.gim folder and replace. Make a backup copy of the GA3.gim folder first - this is my first time after all.

3. You now have the updated toolbar and infoview.

9/23/12 New game file can’t be over-written, apparently.  I will soon make a file for starting new games that can be loaded

You will probably want to make this upgrade between games, because if you load a game started before the upgrade, most of the nations will be screwed up and you will have to spend a half hour or whatever fixing it (as is the case for me) Also, you will need to get your opponent to download these files and upgrade as well.

The really great news is that I think we now have a new Battlemap editor in the house! So submit ideas to me for improvements. I’m not very experienced yet, so there are a lot of things I can’t do, but I’m hoping to learn more. My next priority is to fix the NO boxes for Russia which are incorrect.

• @Gamerman01:

OK, so I am not HolKann, TMTM, Funcioneta, or Stoney.  But I do have an improvement to submit to ABattlemap for 1940 Global.

Since Larry changed the turn order again now in Alpha 3.9, the InfoView and Toolbar in ABattlemap have the countries in the wrong order.  I have fixed this.  However, I’m afraid I didn’t really create a new version of battlemap, and am probably doing this wrong.  But I had another player test it on his computer and it works for him too.  Here’s what you do:

1.  Download the 7 files from Mediafire
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ksbh73nv51ngo

2.  Copy them into your GA3.gim folder and replace.  Make a backup copy of the GA3.gim folder first - this is my first time after all.

3.  You now have the updated toolbar and infoview.  You also have a start.aam file for Global 1940 that I believe is accurate, but I haven’t double checked it.  So if you click new/Alpha3 GA3.gim in ABattlemap you will have the starting setup for Alpha 3 with the corrected toolbar and infoview.

You will probably want to make this upgrade between games, because if you load a game started before the upgrade, most of the nations will be screwed up and you will have to spend a half hour or whatever fixing it (as is the case for me).  Also, you will need to get your opponent to download these files and upgrade as well.

The really great news is that I think we now have a new Battlemap editor in the house!  So submit ideas to me for improvements.  I’m not very experienced yet, so there are a lot of things I can’t do, but I’m hoping to learn more.  My next priority is to fix the NO boxes for Russia which are incorrect.

Good to hear.  Thanks for stepping up to the plate - I am just too busy lately.  If there’s anything you need to know about what can be tweaked within the modules, you should be able to find it in my tutorial:
    Tutorial for Creating ABattleMap Modules

• Glad you’re around, Stoney.
    I was really only able to do anything because of your tutorial.

• @Gamerman01:

Glad you’re around, Stoney.
    I was really only able to do anything because of your tutorial.

Very happy to hear it was useful to you.  It was fun to write and figure it all out… like a puzzle game where I had to fit all the abstract pieces together!  Of course I had a lot of help from conversations with Atti, too, but he is no longer developing the thing.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

We need a final module for Global 1940 using the 2nd edition rules.  If anyone wants to get on that, it would be greatly appreciated by us backwater, country hillbillies still using the better program instead of the blechy, poo-poo new program. :P

• @Cmdr:

We need a final module for Global 1940 using the 2nd edition rules.  If anyone wants to get on that, it would be greatly appreciated by us backwater, country hillbillies still using the better program instead of the blechy, poo-poo new program. :P

Well, most of the changes that still need to be made are the proper labeling of Russian NO’s for Alpha3.

2nd edition is just take away a UK infantry in Egypt, so that’s very easy - just delete an infantry and re-save your start file…
    The Korea/Mongolia rule requires no change to ABattlemap, so that’s it.

The Russian NO deal is no big deal because you just put a flag up there for each pro-Axis or original G/I territory you control.  Proper labelling would be nice, but is certainly not essential.

So really, the ABattlemap module that’s out there is quite functional for 2nd edition.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Eh…yea, but as you point out, there are changes that need to be made.  Just a request.  Also, a reminder of what ships/planes do dmg and how that works being written on the map would be great too…probably unfeasible, but great.  Too many questions from players on how it works.  (You should SEE my inbox! We’re talking 101 pages of private messages!)

• '19

Is anyone going to work on a module for a simple 1914 battlemap?

• @ksmckay:

Is anyone going to work on a module for a simple 1914 battlemap?

If nobody’s posted a thread about it, then probably not.  Here’s a tutorial if you want to take a stab at it yourself.  It’s pretty straightforward.

• '19

Yeah, I’m trying we will see how it goes.

• @ksmckay:

Yeah, I’m trying we will see how it goes.

Just take it one step at a time.  If you have any questions that are not answered by the tutorial, let me know.  Some of the parts that take the longest are things like making the map look good that are really just up to you how much time you want to put into it.  So long as you have everything else right, you can always make aesthetic changes to the Map.bmp file later without any problems or hassles for players (assuming you are not changing the placement of the actual territories and borders).  You can also go without the sector information entirely, and the module will just be pieces on a board like the real game without any statistics or analytical info.

• '19

Do i need sectors for the ipc counts and turn number?

• @ksmckay:

Do i need sectors for the ipc counts and turn number?

sectors are required for all the information in the top five rows of the infoview window.  without the sectors, you would have to put a production chart area on the map.bmp image and the players can keep track of production manually just like they would in a face-to-face game.  Does that make sense?

I’m not sure what you mean by turn number. if you’re wanting the game to display how many rounds have gone by, I don’t think there’s any way for the program to calculate that automatically.  players would just manually count/keep track… you could easily put a space on the map for them to do this.  Am I understanding you correctly?

• '19

If i put two of some unit or flag in an area and other units in another what keeps them from stacking.  Isn’t it the borders of the territory which are what sectors are?  Otherwise how does the program know when two placed say infantry are in the same vicinity.  So at the bottom of the map when you stack flag markers to indicate how many ipcs you have for each country our what turn it is, the two sets of flags don’t combine because they are not in the same defined space.  If that isn’t a sector then what defines the borders of that space?  Just a black line?

• @ksmckay:

If i put two of some unit or flag in an area and other units in another what keeps them from stacking.  Isn’t it the borders of the territory which are what sectors are?  Otherwise how does the program know when two placed say infantry are in the same vicinity.  So at the bottom of the map when you stack flag markers to indicate how many ipcs you have for each country our what turn it is, the two sets of flags don’t combine because they are not in the same defined space.  If that isn’t a sector then what defines the borders of that space?  Just a black line?

Great question.  Hopefully my memory will serve me well here in my answer, I could be slightly off (I no longer have Abattlemap on my pc):
    You are right about the program stacking all of the same kind of pieces that are within a sector.  however, even on a map with sectors, you can have space that doesn’t correspond to any sector at all (this is just black space on the sektorinfo.bmp image).  If I remember right, pieces placed in one of these areas I think will [only] stack if you try to stack them (you literally have to click in the vicinity of the existing pieces), but don’t stack automatically.  You can try this by placing pieces of the same type exactly on the border line between two sea zones in an existing module.  They should not stack unless you place them really close together.  In most modules the borders are a non-sector pixel/space, which you can verify by seeing no sector name in the title bar of the application when you hover your cursor on the line, and you can also see on the sektorinfo.bmp (if you have it) that the line is black (color 000000) there.

I think this is also how it works if you don’t have any sektorinfo.bmp or sektorinfo.sek files at all.

It could be that you just have to create a big black sektorinfo.bmp and use that, but I don’t think this is the case.  Per the tutorial (emphasis added):
    @Stoney229:

SektorInfo.map contains the information of which sector (territory, sea zone, space, etc.) each pixel on the map belongs to.  It is not required, but if used, it does require the accompaniment of SektorInfo.sekL.  Without these two files, a module will not contain any distinction of territories or sea zones, so IPC income calculations in the program�s �InfoView� window are not possible.

@Stoney229:

SektorInfo.sek contains all the information (except map/board location) about specific sectors, including name (as displayed in ABattleMap�s title bar), type (land or water), IPC value, original owner, and much more.  It also includes other special sector-related information, such as damage/�convoy disruption� criteria.  It is not required, but if used, it does require the accompaniment of SektorInfo.mapF.  Without these two files, a module will not contain any distinction of territories or sea zones, so IPC income calculations in the program�s �InfoView� window are not possible.

Does that make sense?  Did I answer your question?

• 2007 AAR League

Is this the latest version of AbattleMap being used for games today?

The new map looks really good compared to the old one; the only thing I noticed which is a little annoying is it seems the numbers listing the IPC value of the territory is not there like the older versions; it’s still there if I hover over the territory but that’s it; have you guys solved this yet?

• @NoMercy:

Is this the latest version of AbattleMap being used for games today?

The new map looks really good compared to the old one; the only thing I noticed which is a little annoying is it seems the numbers listing the IPC value of the territory is not there like the older versions; it’s still there if I hover over the territory but that’s it; have you guys solved this yet?

Which module are you using?

• 2007 AAR League

It seems to say Version 0.80 Alpha1

• 2007 AAR League

I’m also using the following downloaded starting map:

• AaA1940global_a3_FinalSetup.AAM (9.76 KB - downloaded 3 times.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m