• Boy, I’ll tell you I laid out the map and started setting it all up on this beautiful big map and then I tried to fit the 1941’s USA units into Western USA and Central and found it was too darn small! Way too small  imho.

I don’t want to gripe about this, but man when you have Alaska as big as Australia and all the distortions built into this map to accommodate play, you’d think that the West Coast would be much larger than it is.

So i immediately scanned the West Coast of the USA and Mexico, amazing what you can do in this day and age, and about an hour later after a couple of adjustments I have a brand new West Coast (and Mexico) big enuff to handle all the units that can be/would be placed or built there for this amazing game!  And it looks fine, like it should have originally!!

Trust me there is more than enuff ocean to accommodate the extension of the continental shelf and the beaches of California to enlarge it to an adequate size for the many expected units now!!  :-D

• Unnecessary.

• Absolutely unnecessary, I certainly agree. But nevertheless……

The map is very nice, but I am one of those players who really like to have things just so and this

expansion to the map certainly accommodates what I wanted.

• The map is too small. The extra territories removed the chance to afford larger spaces where pieces didn’t overlap into other territories. In Europe this is an acute problem. So now with the map below you got 72x36 rather than 45x23

Phase 1 map:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?amzmjhoi5uv

Phase 2 map:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zzmzndttdgj

• @Imperious:

The map is too small. The extra territories removed the chance to afford larger spaces where pieces didn’t overlap into other territories. In Europe this is an acute problem. So now with the map below you got 72x36 rather than 45x23

IL -Have you added the Chinese double roundel to the Chinese portions of your map?  If not I’d like this added as it easily allows the Chinese controller to know where they can move forces.  Also is it possible you could give me a copy of the Illustrator file, backwards compatable to AI10 so I could modify it too?  It would save me tons of work and I like what you’ve done, but I understand if you don’t want to give the file away.  I’d post any of my mods in the house rules forum for all to use. So what say yea?

• @Constantinople:

Boy, I’ll tell you I laid out the map and started setting it all up on this beautiful big map and then I tried to fit the 1941’s USA units into Western USA and Central and found it was too darn small! Way too small  imho.

I don’t want to gripe about this, but man when you have Alaska as big as Australia and all the distortions built into this map to accommodate play, you’d think that the West Coast would be much larger than it is.

So i immediately scanned the West Coast of the USA and Mexico, amazing what you can do in this day and age, and about an hour later after a couple of adjustments I have a brand new West Coast (and Mexico) big enuff to handle all the units that can be/would be placed or built there for this amazing game!  And it looks fine, like it should have originally!!

Trust me there is more than enuff ocean to accommodate the extension of the continental shelf and the beaches of California to enlarge it to an adequate size for the many expected units now!!   :-D

can you post a pic?
    thanks.

• What they should have done with the US is put the Central United States on the other side of the board. It would have split up the space more evenly and would of made more sense geographically. Now the Central United States looks like the Rockies and could easliy been considered part of the Western United States. The Eastern United States section of the board is very large and could afford to be made smaller with addition of the Central on that side.

• IL -Have you added the Chinese double roundel to the Chinese portions of your map?  If not I’d like this added as it easily allows the Chinese controller to know where they can move forces.  Also is it possible you could give me a copy of the Illustrator file, backwards compatible to AI10 so I could modify it too?  It would save me tons of work and I like what you’ve done, but I understand if you don’t want to give the file away.  I’d post any of my mods in the house rules forum for all to use. So what say yea?

ok but the .ai file is backwards compatible automatically. I made the map for you people and for the people who cant make these things so they can benefit.

• Official Q&A

If the Central USA thing really bugs you (we didn’t have any problems during playtesting), you can always just place Western USA units on the map on both Western and Central, and place Central USA units on the table next to the map.

• @Imperious:

ok but the .ai file is backwards compatible automatically. I made the map for you people and for the people who cant make these things so they can benefit.

Ummmm… ok but the links are too a PDF…?  And thanks for making the map.

• Im uploading the file now… it will take 12 more minutes… im working on it.

• I enjoy using your maps Imperious.  Did you upload AA50 updated today?

• Thank you!

• @Imperious:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1719431d339c3594dd8b33b5aa27078d

here it is.

What is different between this and the OOB map?

• Zero. except i named both Sicily and Corsica as islands because its too ridiculous to have such a large land territory with no name.

look at it. Its the same. I got one with the 1941 setup for plotting strategy or for easy set up.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

In my dream universe, they would just wise up and split the map already! e.g. No connections from the right side of the board to the left! That change alone, would be enough to ensure some sort of Pacific fight. :)

Panama has never done anything good for us. It just encourages one directional gameplay, and distorts the  basic patterns of conflict with an “all or nothing” purchasing strategy.

I wish the Central USA IPCs had been distributed in more active areas of the map. But since it’s here, shouldn’t this region correspond to places like Michigan and Illinois, or Ohio and the Gulf Coast? 6 ipcs seems kind of ridiculous, if you look at a map of the real world and then compare that to the A&A map. Central USA as currently drawn, is basically places like New Mexico, W. Texas, Oklahoma, and the Dakotas. Not exactly the industrial heartland. The city of Chicago, would be in Eastern USA (as currently drawn) if we went by geographical accuracy.

• @Black_Elk:

In my dream universe, they would just wise up and split the map already! e.g. No connections from the right side of the board to the left! That change alone, would be enough to ensure some sort of Pacific fight. :)

Panama has never done anything good for us. It just encourages one directional gameplay, and distorts the  basic patterns of conflict with an “all or nothing” purchasing strategy.

I wish the Central USA IPCs had been distributed in more active areas of the map. But since it’s here, shouldn’t this region correspond to places like Michigan and Illinois, or Ohio and the Gulf Coast? 6 ipcs seems kind of ridiculous, if you look at a map of the real world and then compare that to the A&A map. Central USA as currently drawn, is basically places like New Mexico, W. Texas, Oklahoma, and the Dakotas. Not exactly the industrial heartland. The city of Chicago, would be in Eastern USA (as currently drawn) if we went by geographical accuracy.

in times such as this i say……my god people…its just a game!

• Central USA was a ‘road apple’ to force a decision on Infantry shuck from placement on west or east coast.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

in times such as this i say……my god people…its just a game!

I know its just a game. That doesn’t mean it can’t be improved.  :-)

Central USA was a ‘road apple’ to force a decision on Infantry shuck from placement on west or east coast.

All it did was force the shuck north through Canada, while at the same time making it essentially impossible for the USA to switch fronts rapidly. I feel it hurts the Pacific game more than any other single change that was made from Classic to Revised.

I could maybe see some argument for Central US, as an obstacle to recovering W. US, if the Japs manage to take it, but that circumstance is so rare that it hardly justifies the change from Classic. I preferred the older dynamic, where USA could feint Pacific or Atlantic, and then double back the other way at the last second if need be. Central US and Panama both contribute to making KGF more attractive.

If the map did not wrap at the edges, the problem with shucks between W. USA, and E. USA wouldn’t exist anymore, and the Allies would be forced to use their Pacific units in the Pacific. Japan conquering W. USA would be a major game changing event (much more than it is under the traditional situation) since USA could not retake it with tanks out of E. USA. Whether or not that is realistic shouldn’t matter, because all the other effects on the gameplay taken together would be so dramatic and beneficial. USA would have every reason to fight on two fronts, because losing W. USA to sustained attack by Japan would be an unthinkable. Japan would have a reason to press the fight, since a capture of W. USA would solidly cover their eastern flank.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m