• I know the idea of an Axis turn and an Allied turn has been played around with before, but I don’t believe quite like this.  I want to post this because I feel like, due to my “initiative” rule, it would hardly effect the gameplay at all (albeit a few slight changes, but it doesn’t break the game in the Allies favor unlike most ideas like this), except make it a LOT more fast paced, and with less down time, to keep multiplayer games FUN!  (No waiting 45 minutes for your turn!)

Game Flow

(First Round Only)  Free Russian Turn
    Axis Turn
    Allied Turn

The turns work the same way as before, but instead of one country, all work at once.  For example, during purchase units phase, all Axis units would purchase units.  Then all Axis units would make combat movement.  This continues on throughout the turn.

Transports

To prevent an overpowering of transports, transports can only transport units of their own nation.  This is how they are used 99% of the time already, anyway.  Allied fighters can still land on allied carriers, however, they still follow all the rules of Multi-National Combat.

Multi-National Combat

If two allied powers move into the same territory in the combat movement phase, each battle is fought individually, based on initiative.  All combat is one on one.

Initiative is a fancy way to say “turn order in the OOB rules.”

For example, the UK and USA invade Western Europe, defended by Germany.  First, the UK units fight against the German units, as normal (UK’s turn order comes before USA’s).  If Germany is defeated and the UK has friendly land units, Western Europe belongs to the UK.  If, however, the UK is defeated, then the US player battles his units against the German units.

Essentially, every battle with multinational forces is solved as 1 on 1 fights.  In the above example, in standard play, the UK would have done a failed attack on Western Europe, then Japan would have went, then the USA would have captured Western Europe.  These rules have the same exact result, with less time to watch and more time to play!

Multi-National Defense

This is one place where these rules differ with the OOB rules.  Multiple nations cannot defend as one.  Instead, one defender fights at a time.  This really exists for one reason- to prevent Japan from stacking fighters on Germany in a KGF, and to prevent the UK from stacking fighters on Moscow.  Those scenarios are completely ridiculous (Japan sending planes to fight off the Russians/USA/UK in Berlin??  Stalin allowing evil Westerners to land their planes in Moscow??) and I feel it leads to unnecessary stacking.

Enhanced Compatibility

The Enhanced D-Day rule works the same way it works in Enhanced- it is the one exception that USA and UK can combine forces in a single battle, as opposed to having to fight separately.  It is also the only time US transports can transport UK units, and vice versa.

National Advantages are picked similarly.  Russia picks an NA on the initial Russian turn, Ger/Jap pick their first NA, USA/UK pick their second.  Next round, Ger/Jap pick their second NA, the Allies pick their third NA.

Convoy Raid rules follow exactly.  This makes them theoretically weaker (subs can only damage one complex per ROUND, as opposed to per TURN), but the same applies to SBRs, so it is balanced out.

• on the occasion of an invasion of a multi-nationally defended region, would the attacker have to divide their army to attack each opposing army seperately, i.e. if the u.k. and the u.s. have 2 infantry and 1 armor each in india, and japan attacks with an army of 3 infantry and 3, armor would japan have to divide their forces and defeat both defending armies to capture the territory.
    i think these rules could have the game moving at a faster pace, i like the n.a. rule also where an n.a. is picked on every turn.

• @d142:

on the occasion of an invasion of a multi-nationally defended region, would the attacker have to divide their army to attack each opposing army seperately, i.e. if the u.k. and the u.s. have 2 infantry and 1 armor each in india, and japan attacks with an army of 3 infantry and 3, armor would japan have to divide their forces and defeat both defending armies to capture the territory.
    i think these rules could have the game moving at a faster pace, i like the n.a. rule also where an n.a. is picked on every turn.

Japan wouldn’t have to divide its forces, simply put the 3 infantry and 3 armor in battle against the UK, then against the US.

I’m iffy about this rule.  It is the only one I put in that actually makes a change to how the game works, and while it nerfs stacking which is always good, it may provide the Axis with an unfair advantage.  I was also thinking about making it where, if you do divide on defense, you do it opposite of turn order.  As in, Germany invades a territory with UK and USA, he has to fight the US forces first.  First of all, the US forces will likely be stronger since the UK ones most likely captured the territory, so it wont be unfair for the brit, secondly, it allows a Battle of the Bulge scenario (Germany invades just to strike against the Americans pre-emptively).

Something interesting is a Race to Berlin effect on the Allies… if Russia and the Western Allies invade simultaneously, Russia gets Berlin if it wins the battle.  Better get Berlin before your Allies do  :wink:

• (First Round Only)  Free Russian Turn
    Axis Turn
    Allied Turn

The turns work the same way as before, but instead of one country, all work at once.  For example, during purchase units phase, all Axis units would purchase units.  Then all Axis units would make combat movement.  This continues on throughout the turn.

But this is how we do it in AARHE, with the minor change where movement, combat and NCM are done TOGETHER, while other turn phases can be done at player own speed. The reasoning is obvious: You cant allow thew results of one attack alter the decisions elsewhere. There is no need to force players to make all buying and collecting decisions at the same time.

I was hoping somebody use the other AARHE idea of both income collection/purchase phase at start of turn.

I have played the all axis, all allies move sequence a million times. It works and speeds up the game.

except make it a LOT more fast paced, and with less down time, to keep multiplayer games FUN!  (No waiting 45 minutes for your turn!)

I am glad somebody else figured that out.

If two allied powers move into the same territory in the combat movement phase, each battle is fought individually, based on initiative.  All combat is one on one.

For example, the UK and USA invade Western Europe, defended by Germany.  First, the UK units fight against the German units, as normal (UK’s turn order comes before USA’s).  If Germany is defeated and the UK has friendly land units, Western Europe belongs to the UK.  If, however, the UK is defeated, then the US player battles his units against the German units.

Essentially, every battle with multinational forces is solved as 1 on 1 fights.  In the above example, in standard play, the UK would have done a failed attack on Western Europe, then Japan would have went, then the USA would have captured Western Europe.

I have seen this but its like Europe Engulfed, and aids the defender too much. AARHE has other means to solve the problem of double up which usually entail sea invasions by both UK/USA and we give good defensive rules for the defender.

• @Imperious:

(First Round Only)  Free Russian Turn
    Axis Turn
    Allied Turn

But this is how we do it in AARHE, with the minor change where movement, combat and NCM are done TOGETHER, while other turn phases can be done at player own speed. The reasoning is obvious: You cant allow thew results of one attack alter the decisions elsewhere. There is no need to force players to make all buying and collecting decisions at the same time.

I was hoping somebody use the other AARHE idea of both income collection/purchase phase at start of turn.

I have played the all axis, all allies move sequence a million times. It works and speeds up the game.

except make it a LOT more fast paced, and with less down time, to keep multiplayer games FUN!  (No waiting 45 minutes for your turn!)

I am glad somebody else figured that out.

Essentially, every battle with multinational forces is solved as 1 on 1 fights.  In the above example, in standard play, the UK would have done a failed attack on Western Europe, then Japan would have went, then the USA would have captured Western Europe.

I have seen this but its like Europe Engulfed, and aids the defender too much. AARHE has other means to solve the problem of double up which usually entail sea invasions by both UK/USA and we give good defensive rules for the defender.

How does it aid the defender any more than in OOB rules, though?  Unless you are operating on the premise that OOB rules is doing it wrong in this aspect and these rules should fix that, of course.

• How does it aid the defender any more than in OOB rules, though?

The OOB rules are not even symbolic of reality unless its a very detached almost loose connection. Invasions where you got UK followed by USA don’t make sence because they combined their power in one strike. So what happens is the first invasion nearly fails and usually UK is losing good tanks, then America comes in and the Germans push them off france and the process repeats again and again (usually). I feel the OOB rules are very poor in this area. Proabably why they used to have the

commander in chief rule

in 1st edition MB and also the D-Day rule of combined forces once per game.

Germany and italy in the same territory should be able to defend together, while UK and USA also worked closely.

Japan and USSR are loners. they don’t mix with anybody out of suspicion. I support the idea that Soviet and Japanese dont mix with other nations.

I think the idea of American soldiers in Russia is ridiculous proposition. Anybody knows the reality of 1918-20 and how Stalin feared the return of the capitalist colonial nations looking to carve up Russia and refight the communists. This fear existed as late as 1945. So if that is solved your only real issue is UK/USA and its fair to allow them to combine.

The turn sequence for AARHE also considered this:

Germany/Italy
    USSR
    Japan
    UK/USA

this makes it simple to see who can combine and who cant. I suggest this as a hybrid system.

• Ya i hate how (if someone is gb and they send all ther men and lose in france then usa comes and gets it i hate that i really do)  but once a game brits + usa can do that it is a lot better!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m