What r Your Thoughts on Bilingual Education in America?

• I have been for BE for almost as long as it has been pushed in CA. I think TX and FL were a little behind, but push it hard now. I am in doubt now though, having seen the results in CA.

What’s your opinion?

• well i think that they should Continue to Teach Foreign Languages cus if not that would be plane old STupid if u catch my drift and as for Teaching in English and Spanish. i feel that they should only teach in English but for some special cases like if some one cannot speak English it should be manditory that they take a course on Speaking English. because although it may help the students leaern for those who do not speak English it is promoting the use of other languages and there for English looses its Dominece as the Main Lagnuage of the USA. not sayin that it will be lost im just saying that the whole country should try to have one main Language not 2 or 3

• I have been for BE for almost as long as it has been pushed in CA. I think TX and FL were a little behind, but push it hard now. I am in doubt now though, having seen the results in CA.

What’s your opinion?

I think there is a lot more to say than that. Like Affirmative Action, there are times where it’s needed and other times where it does more harm than good.

• I understand the Universities of California have been playing with a variation of Affirmative Action since AA has been ‘struck down.’ Can you explain what the variation is. I’ve heard it is done to increase the minority enrollment to get increased funds that are available.

• Hmmmm… I heard that they did away with AA in the UC schools completely. I’m now sure about CalState though. I think doing away with AA was for the better, coming from a minority. :)

• I think (and I am a minority) that AA did need to go. It only caused more resentment on the part of the Caucasions (not all, I realize). Minorities should be more active, as they were in the fight against Jim Crow and stuff. Anyhow, I also wanna say that I think bilingual education is unnecessary (to put it nicely). If they’re going to come to America (legally) fine, but they need to learn the language. As if California schools aren’t doing badly enough with just English! I know I’m a month late with this (I just heard about this forum), but I had to say something. :) By the way, what was that AA variation?

• Personally, I think it should be allowed by limited. Your not going to be able to teach kids anything in english if they don’t understand it in the first place. It only should be allowed to teach one to speak English.

• As if California schools aren’t doing badly enough with just English!

Me fail english? That unpossible! :P

• :lol: LOL I like your humor. :D

• here in canada we have to learn french :(

• well, not really.
    our parents choose to make us learn French.
    or at least one language. . . .

• Where in Canada do you live? How much French is spoken?

• I live in Manitoba - one of 2 “bilingual” provinces in the country (the other being New Brunswick). In Winnipeg (the capital city) is the largest French-speaking population west of Quebec. There are also a number of francophone towns scattered throughout the province, and all provincial literature (as well as Federal) is in both French and English. (there are also large German, Ukrainian, Icelandic etc. populations here, but those are by no means “official languages”.

• me in BC, most wesrenly procince, more chines and indian then french spoken here

• or English . . . .

• I ment expept for english

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m