• @Yoper:

That is like a BB transporting an infantry unit to a battle and then bombarding in every combat round.  Terrible idea.

Nah - paratroopers are fine, what’s overdone is stacking paratroopers with long range air and/or heavy bombers.

It’s not like a BB transporting an infantry unit to battle, because a BB can’t fire every round.  Bombers can - hello!  If bombers could only transport infantry (and only in combat movement, at that) then they would be glorified transports, and the tech would be only good for claiming an empty territory here or there.  No, it’s fine the way it is, but the multiple stacking techs for bombers can be crazy.  I’ve devoted whole other threads to that.

This thread is for AA50 rules questions and clarifications.  Sorry for my part in getting off topic.  I will stop that, and others need to stop posting here about their opinions of the game, as well. :)

• Question -
    If I destroy a transport, can I not move into that seazone (where the enemy transport was) and pick up ground units in the combat movement phase?

I’m thinking the answer is no.  It’s just the first time it’s come up for me in a game, and I wasn’t 100% sure.

• Official Q&A

Yes, you can.  You can load units in any friendly sea zone, and the presence of an enemy transport does not make a sea zone hostile.  (Technically, the enemy transport isn’t destroyed until the Conduct Combat phase, so it will still be there when you load your transport.)

• Saweeeet.  Thanks for the answer Krieg - jeez - in 10 minutes, that’s great.

American transport in Z14 is going to the bottom of the sea and I will pick up ground unit(s) from Italy and get an NO, all in one move.

• '10

I just want to be sure on something:

3 Jap subs sitting in a sea zone alone. US player NonComs a dd into that sea zone on the US turn. On the following Japan turn the 3 subs can leave the sea zone to engage another hostile sea zone without having to engage the 1 dd in the sea zone they started in… right?

• @DutchmanD:

I just want to be sure on something:

3 Jap subs sitting in a sea zone alone. US player NonComs a dd into that sea zone on the US turn. On the following Japan turn the 3 subs can leave the sea zone to engage another hostile sea zone without having to engage the 1 dd in the sea zone they started in… right?

Right.
    And the Jap subs must be moved in the combat move phase, even if not engaging the enemy, to avoid combat with the US DD’s.

• Official Q&A

Yup.

• Paratroopers question -

If you make a combat move to drop a paratrooper (or multiple paratroopers) in an enemy territory that only has an AA gun and no other military units, does the attacker take AA fire on all bombers before dropping the infantry, or is there no AA fire because there are no ground or air units defending?

• Official Q&A

The AA gun will fire.

• If I want to attack a sea zone with, let’s say 1 fighter and 1 bomber, and the bomber has enough movement points but the fighter doesn’t, can I still make the attack and then just splash the fighter and kill it anyway?

• @The:

If I want to attack a sea zone with, let’s say 1 fighter and 1 bomber, and the bomber has enough movement points but the fighter doesn’t, can I still make the attack and then just splash the fighter and kill it anyway?

No.  Kamikaze attacks are not allowed.  The only way you can fly a fighter 4 spaces and attack is when a carrier could pick it up if it survives.

• If the player’s sub is in the same sea zone as an enemy destroyer at the beginning of a turn, the sub must be moved out of the zone during combat movement to avoid combat with the destroyer (as opposed to noncombat move).

But what about if the player’s sub is in the same zone as an enemy sub, and the player is attacking the enemy sub with a destroyer from another zone?  Does the player’s sub have to be moved in the combat movement phase if the player wants to move the sub?  If the player did not move the sub out in combat movement, wouldn’t it be considered part of the combat?  The only way to stay out of the combat would be to submerge, and if it submerged, then it could not move in non-combat, correct?

• Official Q&A

Correct.

• '16

I have a question that has come up in a couple games now.  It involves when a sea zone “becomes hostile”.

If I make a combat move to engage a Tr in sea zone X, can I then move a Tr through X to get to Y in the same phase?

This question has a black or white answer, either:
    a) The zone doesn’t become hostile until “conduct combat”, and therefore I can both invade in sea zone Y as well as destroy the TR in zone X.
    or
    b) As soon as a battle is planned in X it is hostile and therefore impassible under normal rules.

• @PGMatt:

I have a question that has come up in a couple games now.  It involves when a sea zone “becomes hostile”.

If I make a combat move to engage a Tr in sea zone X, can I then move a Tr through X to get to Y in the same phase?

This question has a black or white answer, either:
    a) The zone doesn’t become hostile until “conduct combat”, and therefore I can both invade in sea zone Y as well as destroy the TR in zone X.
    or
    b) As soon as a battle is planned in X it is hostile and therefore impassible under normal rules.

It’s “A”

You could even pick up ground units from a land territory adjacent to zone X and move somewhere else and invade.  I had this question answered here recently.  It takes a surface warcship in zone X to prevent movement through it.

Transports and subs can always be ignored for combat movement purposes.  The rulebook is very clear that zones with only transports and/or subs are not considered hostile.  You don’t make it hostile by attacking it.

• '16 '15 '10

Ok I’m sure this has been discussed before, but I’d like clarification/confirmation, as it has to do correct rule interpretation for a certain popular freeware gaming engine and I need to be 100% sure before submitting a bug report.

Lets say a Kraut cruiser and sub are sitting in SZ6.  If the Russian sub attacks and hits, and the Germans select the sub as casualty, does that Kraut sub get to fire back?

Does the rule intreptation change if there is an enemy destroyer present?  Let’s say its SZ2 in the 42 scenario, and the Krauts attack the bb/destroyer/russian sub with 2 kraut subs plus air.  If the Russian sub hits, does the Kraut sub selected as a casualty get to fire back or no?

Thanks in advance.

• Official Q&A

@Zhukov44:

Lets say a Kraut cruiser and sub are sitting in SZ6.  If the Russian sub attacks and hits, and the Germans select the sub as casualty, does that Kraut sub get to fire back?

Yes.  Both subs get Surprise Strikes because there are no destroyers, so the subs’ fire is simultaneous.

@Zhukov44:

Does the rule intreptation change if there is an enemy destroyer present?  Let’s say its SZ2 in the 42 scenario, and the Krauts attack the bb/destroyer/russian sub with 2 kraut subs plus air.  If the Russian sub hits, does the Kraut sub selected as a casualty get to fire back or no?

No.  The Soviet sub gets a Surprise Strike because there’s no attacking destroyer, but the German subs don’t get a Surprise Strike because there is a defending destroyer, so the Soviet sub fires first.

• '10

@Zhukov44:

Lets say a Kraut cruiser and sub are sitting in SZ6.  If the Russian sub attacks and hits, and the Germans select the sub as casualty, does that Kraut sub get to fire back?

Does the rule intreptation change if there is an enemy destroyer present?  Let’s say its SZ2 in the 42 scenario, and the Krauts attack the bb/destroyer/russian sub with 2 kraut subs plus air.  If the Russian sub hits, does the Kraut sub selected as a casualty get to fire back or no?

The german sub gets to fire only in the first situation where both are conducting surprise attacks and the torps are launched simultaneously.  In the second the russian sub conducts a surprise while the german sub would fire in the general combat phase. Assuming the german sub hits, the allied casualty would be able to return fire because of the dd presence with the exception of the sub which has fired already.  Hopefully this helps

• @Krieghund:

@Zhukov44:

Yes.  Both subs get Surprise Strikes because there are no destroyers, so the subs’ fire is simultaneous.

@Zhukov44:

No.  The Soviet sub gets a Surprise Strike because there’s no attacking destroyer, but the German subs don’t get a Surprise Strike because there is a defending destroyer, so the Soviet sub fires first.

@Battlingmaxo:

@Zhukov44:

Lets say a Kraut cruiser and sub are sitting in SZ6.  If the Russian sub attacks and hits, and the Germans select the sub as casualty, does that Kraut sub get to fire back?

Does the rule intreptation change if there is an enemy destroyer present?  Let’s say its SZ2 in the 42 scenario, and the Krauts attack the bb/destroyer/russian sub with 2 kraut subs plus air.  If the Russian sub hits, does the Kraut sub selected as a casualty get to fire back or no?

The german sub gets to fire only in the first situation where both are conducting surprise attacks and the torps are launched simultaneously.  In the second the russian sub conducts a surprise while the german sub would fire in the general combat phase. Assuming the german sub hits, the allied casualty would be able to return fire because of the dd presence with the exception of the sub which has fired already.  Hopefully this helps

Overruled by the simul-post!  8-)

• '16 '15 '10

Thanks for the clear confimation/explanation Krieg and Maxo!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m