• Official Q&A

Yes, you are right.

• clarification:  attacking forces, may they withdraw any number of units or must they withdraw all or none?  While I’m at it,  I remember glancing over someone talking about retreating amphibious assaulting units, did I miss something there or is that rule the same as it’s always been?

• Official Q&A

There are no partial retreats.  When you retreat, you retreat everything.

That being said, amphibious assaults are an exception.  Land units that entered the battle by transport may not retreat.  Land units that entered the battle by land and air units may retreat.  If they do, they all retreat together.  This is a change from Revised, as in that game if any land unit entered the battle by transport no land unit could retreat.

• For the optional rule involving the Black Sea, can I load/unload troops from the tiny little part of the seazone adjacent to Bulgaria/Romania?  I never passed through the canal, please say YES.

• And while you’re on the subject of retreats, if attacking from multiple locations, a retreat must be to the “right” places.  Say I am attacking with 4 ARM from Karelia and 6 INF from Eastern Poland.  If I retreat 4 ARM and 2 INF, the ARM go to Karelia and the INF go to Eastern Poland?

On Amphibious, if Germany is attacking Egypt, and has 1 INF 1 ART 1ARM coming from Libya and 1 INF 1 ARM from France, and there are 4 defensive hits, I could flee my 1 ARM saying it belongs to Libya?

But if both tanks are alive, I cannot flee, because 1 came from the Transport.

• Official Q&A

@Capt.:

For the optional rule involving the Black Sea, can I load/unload troops from the tiny little part of the seazone adjacent to Bulgaria/Romania?  I never passed through the canal, please say YES.

Sea zone 16 can’t be entered from either sea zone 14 or sea zone 15, so no.

@Capt.:

And while you’re on the subject of retreats, if attacking from multiple locations, a retreat must be to the “right” places.  Say I am attacking with 4 ARM from Karelia and 6 INF from Eastern Poland.  If I retreat 4 ARM and 2 INF, the ARM go to Karelia and the INF go to Eastern Poland?

No.  All land units must retreat together to one territory from which at least one of them came.  In your example, either all of the units would retreat to Karelia or all of them would retreat to Eastern Poland.

@Capt.:

On Amphibious, if Germany is attacking Egypt, and has 1 INF 1 ART 1ARM coming from Libya and 1 INF 1 ARM from France, and there are 4 defensive hits, I could flee my 1 ARM saying it belongs to Libya?

But if both tanks are alive, I cannot flee, because 1 came from the Transport.

You can take the casualties on any units that you like.  You don’t have to lose all of the amphibiously assaulting units before retreating the other ones.  All of the land-based units (and any air units) can retreat together at the end of any round of combat, leaving any remaining seaborne units behind to finish the fight alone.  This is the only time that a partial retreat is allowed.  However, if you do it, all of the land-based land units and air units must retreat together, leaving only seaborne units behind.

• I can’t seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.

I seem to remember the defender being allowed to destroy his/her industrial complex at the beginning of a battle to prevent it from falling into the attackers hands. Is this still allowed? I am assuming no since I can find it no where in the rules or FAQ.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Wally!

Destroying industrial complexes has never been allowed officially.  You must be thinking of a house rule or one of the many variant rulesets available.

• So it is a huge boost to Germany if they seize one of the USSR’s IC’s. Especially since they can build units there that same turn.

• Official Q&A

It is a huge boost, but they can’t build there in the same turn.  You can never use an IC in the same turn that you capture it.

• Thats how it used to be, but the new rulebook states in the industrial complex entry that units can be produced at an industrial complex that has just been captured.

• Official Q&A

No, it doesn’t.  It says it can be used on the turn after it is captured.  You have to have controlled the territory since the beginning of your turn in order to use an IC.

• The rulebook we have says that you can…A typo perhaps?

• Official Q&A

As far as I know, all the rulebooks are the same.  Can you give me a page number and a quote?

• I don’t have it with me, but I’ll get it Wednesday.

• @atarihuana:

ok, i got one more :)

Lets say a japanese AC+2FTR are in Iwo Jima seazone. american combat move :

4 subs attack AC
    2TN 2inf  2arm land Iwo Jima.

since naval battle must be conducted first, lets assume AC sunk. planes now must land on iwo jima. so they get to defend against amphibious invasion right?

edit:  argh i just realized the planes would sink the TN before they could assault… so the 2 TN would need surface battleships… which would mean that the fighters would be destroyed…

Here some other sub rule questions:

Attacker: 2 Subs 4 fighters
    Defender: AC, 2 fighters, Cruiser, 2 transports

#1:

Attacker hits with the 2 subs, all air misses - casualties have to be taken on the AC und Crusier
    Defender can only fire with the 2 fighters und gets 2 hits

What units can the attacker choose as casualties:

a) only 2 fighters, as the enemy fighters do not attack subs
    b) the 2 subs because in round one of the battle all units were participating

Attacker misses with the subs, but the fighters hit two times, defender chooses the AC and the Cruiser as casualties

now:

#2-I:

The defender only gets 2 hits by the fighters, AC and Cruiser both miss

again: What units can the attacker choose as casualties:

b) the 2 subs because in round one of the battle all enemy units were participating (here there are anemy ships alive, yet the missed)

#2-II:

The defender gets 2 hits by AC und cruiser, none by the fighters

now the attacker can choose any unit as casualty, those vessels fire against navy and airforce.

#2-III:

Defender gets one hit by the crusier und one bye a fighter

a) only 1 fighter and one sub, the sub for the cruiser hit and the fighter for the enemy fighter hit ?
    b) anything, even the 2 subs, because in round one of the battle all enemy units were participating

battleround 1:

Attacker gets 2 hits by the subs and one by the air, the defender misses all

battleround 2:

now: the attacker rolls only for the 4 fighters, since the 2 subs cannot attack (only one enemy air unit left): 1 hit
    Defender also gets a hit.

The attacker has to take it on a fighter  - in this case we have battle air vs air.

a curios one - check this out:

Battleround 1:

Attacker: only 1 hit, one by the sub - cruiser chosen as hit
    Defender: 3 hits, attacker takes out one sub and 2 fighters

Battleround 2:

Attacker: only 1 hit, again by the sub - AC sunk
    Defender: 2 hits by the fighters, attacker takes 2 fighters as casualties

Battleround 3:

1 sub vs 2 figthers and 2 transpots

Rule question: how does the battle end?

a) battle ist over, the sub cannot continue the attack, all enemy units, even the transports survived
    b) battle is over, the enemy fighters survived, yet the transports are lost, since the subs killed all the other ships

If b) is true, what’s the point? Fighters can’t attack sub, so how can they protect that helpless transports from being sunk ?

• Official Q&A

@Crossover:

Attacker: 2 Subs 4 fighters
    Defender: AC, 2 fighters, Cruiser, 2 transports

#1:

Attacker hits with the 2 subs, all air misses - casualties have to be taken on the AC und Crusier
    Defender can only fire with the 2 fighters und gets 2 hits

b) the 2 subs because in round one of the battle all units were participating

A.  It was the fighters that got the hits, and there are no defending destroyers.

@Crossover:

Attacker misses with the subs, but the fighters hit two times, defender chooses the AC and the Cruiser as casualties

now:

#2-I:

The defender only gets 2 hits by the fighters, AC and Cruiser both miss

again: What units can the attacker choose as casualties:

b) the 2 subs because in round one of the battle all enemy units were participating (here there are anemy ships alive, yet the missed)

Still A, for the same reason.

@Crossover:

#2-II:

The defender gets 2 hits by AC und cruiser, none by the fighters

now the attacker can choose any unit as casualty, those vessels fire against navy and airforce.

Correct.

@Crossover:

#2-III:

Defender gets one hit by the crusier und one bye a fighter

a) only 1 fighter and one sub, the sub for the cruiser hit and the fighter for the enemy fighter hit ?
    b) anything, even the 2 subs, because in round one of the battle all enemy units were participating

c) The fighter hit must be assigned to a fighter, and the cruiser hit can be assigned to anything the attacker likes.

@Crossover:

battleround 1:

Attacker gets 2 hits by the subs and one by the air, the defender misses all

battleround 2:

now: the attacker rolls only for the 4 fighters, since the 2 subs cannot attack (only one enemy air unit left): 1 hit
    Defender also gets a hit.

The attacker has to take it on a fighter  - in this case we have battle air vs air.

Correct.  When this battle is over, the defending transports will be sunk no matter who wins, since there will still be attacking subs and no defending units that can hit them.

@Crossover:

a curios one - check this out:

Battleround 1:

Attacker: only 1 hit, one by the sub - cruiser chosen as hit
    Defender: 3 hits, attacker takes out one sub and 2 fighters

Battleround 2:

Attacker: only 1 hit, again by the sub - AC sunk
    Defender: 2 hits by the fighters, attacker takes 2 fighters as casualties

Battleround 3:

1 sub vs 2 figthers and 2 transpots

Rule question: how does the battle end?

a) battle ist over, the sub cannot continue the attack, all enemy units, even the transports survived
    b) battle is over, the enemy fighters survived, yet the transports are lost, since the subs killed all the other ships

B.

@Crossover:

If b) is true, what’s the point? Fighters can’t attack sub, so how can they protect that helpless transports from being sunk ?

They can’t protect the transports from subs, that’s why it’s important to have a destroyer when there are enemy subs around.

• Thanks al lot krieghund

that’s what i thought. The main message for the US player is, if he wants to kill the japanese fleet with 3 or 4 ACs, a combined attack of only subs and air is a big mistake.
    The subs kill the ACs, but all the hits from the enemy fighters have to be taken on your own aircraft - but that’s not what you normally want.

So you either attack only with the subs, as the fighters then aren’t allowed to shoot back in this case - and if the defender has a fleet with ACs and own subs, attack only by air, then the subs are useless. Very interesting.

For this reasons the destroyer unit now plays the role of cheap cannon fodder in combined sea/air fights.

Subs have other tasks in aa50, but that’s probably what the designers wanted.

• 2007 AAR League

Seems I recall we had a big long debate over what happens to surviving fighters if the carrier is sunk, could the fighters land in a combat zone and participate in the land battle.  The consensus was no, the fighters land after all combat if a valid landing zone is available.

Example:
    2 US subs attack a Jap carrier in SZ35 and the US Invades India from Persia.  The Jap CV is sunk, if the invasion of India fails the planes can land there, if the US takes India the planes are destroyed (ran out of gas looking for a landing site).

• Official Q&A

Yes, that’s correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m