• There settled.

Aircraft Losses: England

Fighters: 1,023
    Bombers: 376
    Maritime: 148 aircraft (Coastal Command)
    Total: 1,547 aircraft destroyed.

Aircraft Losses: Germany

Fighters: 873
    Bombers:1,014
    Total: 1,887 aircraft destroyed
    Luftwaffe; Pilots and Aircrew Killed: 2,500.

Germany lost about 17% more than UK in total plane loses, but Germany lost as many bombers as UK lost fighters and thats a alot.

Civilian Casualties
    27,450 British civilians dead,
    32,138 wounded

• The Imperious leader settles all with one crushing blow. Well done on getting that info for us!

• Clap clap (so the germans lost more aircraft) 
    That was my guess but so… many bombers

• @italiansarecoming:

Clap clap (so the germans lost more aircraft) 
    That was my guess but so… many bombers

Yeah, you can attibute most of those losses to the bf110 and probably the stuka along with the HE-111 (God I love that bomber). The 110 probably took the most losses is my guess. That plane was outdated very soon after it’s introduction and was reffered to as “meat on the table” along with other various twin engine bombers encountered.

• I bet bombers loses were a large number of stukas in those daylight raids and not Heinkels.

• The Bf110 did find some sucess as a low level fighter/bomber in 1940. Later years the bf110, under the mask of darkness, found itself not the prey but a preditor of of R.A.F bombers.

Yet,I would hate to find myself behind the controls of a 110 and have Spitfires attacking.

• I agree with Imperious. The Stukas probably sustained much higher losses as the fighters were not ordered to protect them in full squadrons as they were with the 111’s

• Speaking of fighters, anyone have a plane they’re using in the game they are especially fond of? I personally love using the Stuka to take out Russian tanks that pose the most serious threat.

I still need to get a 109 or Fock Wulf however. I’ve only got that and the Dornier so far and we rarely play 1945 battles. Besides, how much action did that plane really see? I like our battles to be as historically correct as possible and I’m sorry I bought it. I should have bought a plane that was actually more commonly used. I really want the 109 ace.

• Customizer

My fav is the Hellcat. It’s so American. The Corsair is pretty close as is the Mustang and the Thunderbolt, but the Hellcat was the glove that bloodied the Japs nose. The Wildcat was there first, but the Hellcat was good ol’ American muscle and .50 cal American lead.

USA USA USA!!!

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

Speaking of fighters, anyone have a plane they’re using in the game they are especially fond of? I personally love using the Stuka to take out Russian tanks that pose the most serious threat.

I still need to get a 109 or Fock Wulf however. I’ve only got that and the Dornier so far and we rarely play 1945 battles. Besides, how much action did that plane really see? I like our battles to be as historically correct as possible and I’m sorry I bought it. I should have bought a plane that was actually more commonly used. I really want the 109 ace.

Uh…what game are you talking about?

• A&A miniatures.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

A&A miniatures.

:lol:

Ok, I had no idea and couldn’t take a guess.

• Wow, 35 votes! Is that a record?

• I know! This was a good poll. I’m suprised the 262 did as well as it did. I can take comfort in the fact that the spitfire got as many votes as it did. I still think the Mosquito and the Fock Wulf are underrated.

• I’m surprised the jet has recieved as much love as it has.  :? Whenever I was writing down aircraft, I nearly left out the Me-262 due to a short combat record. But seeing the love people have for the aircraft, I’m glad I added it.

• my favorites were the P47 Thunderbolt because they survived even the worst damage.
    And the F6F Hellcat,because they were fast enough to take on the Zero’s and the other fast Jap fighters.

• @AA:

my favorites were the P47 Thunderbolt because they survived even the worst damage.
    And the F6F Hellcat,because they were fast enough to take on the Zero’s and the other fast Jap fighters.

That Thunderbolt is one hell of an aircraft. A book called “Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Warm Beer” along with “Thunderbolts!” by Marint Caiden are great books hailing the amazing abilities of this plane. The first book is about an American volunteer who flew for the battle of Britain and eventually switched to the Thunderbolt once the americans came over. That plane could outdive, and outclimb and German aircraft. It’s superior fire power is responsible for the loss of many Fock Wulf 190 Aces that attempted to contest it.

You hit a German plane with those 8 50 cals and it would just take it to pieces while the thunderbold could take an incredible amount of punishment. Great choice!

• The poll is way too biased towards a pale anglosaxon focus. Here is a much more reasonable list of attractive  fighters of WWII.

The criteria of this list is FORMULA ONE ONLY: 1-engine, 1-seat, monoplan.
    Inline engine unless specified.

1. reggiane re.2005 sagittario (italy)
      2. macchi mc.202 folgore (italy)
      3. macchi mc.205 veltro (italy)
      4. fiat g.55 centauro (italy)
      5. arsenal vg-33 (france)
      6. mig-3 (ussr)
      7. nakajima ki-84 hayate (radial) (japan)
      8. reggiane 2001 falco II (italy)
      9. kawasaki ki-61 hien (japan)
    10. lavochkin la-5 (radial) (ussr)

These are definitely the most attractive fighters of WWII. No struts on the tail like the Me 109. No akwardly narrow and fragile landing gear like the Spitfire. no beer-belly like P-51.
    Just simple and beautyful. However, NONE of these planes were presented in the poll.

• @Col:

The poll is way too biased towards a pale anglosaxon focus. Here is a much more reasonable list of attractive  fighters of WWII.

The criteria of this list is FORMULA ONE ONLY: 1-engine, 1-seat, monoplan.
    Inline engine unless specified.

1. reggiane re.2005 sagittario (italy)
      2. macchi mc.202 folgore (italy)
      3. macchi mc.205 veltro (italy)
      4. fiat g.55 centauro (italy)
      5. arsenal vg-33 (france)
      6. mig-3 (ussr)
      7. nakajima ki-84 hayate (radial) (japan)
      8. reggiane 2001 falco II (italy)
      9. kawasaki ki-61 hien (japan)
    10. lavochkin la-5 (radial) (ussr)

These are definitely the most attractive fighters of WWII. No struts on the tail like the Me 109. No akwardly narrow and fragile landing gear like the Spitfire. no beer-belly like P-51.
    Just simple and beautyful. However, NONE of these planes were presented in the poll.

I chose not to include Italian fighters in the poll because the Italian Air Force was a failure. I consider the Italian’s best fighter, the macchi mc.202 folgore, a copy of the me 109. I have no bias againist the Italians in WWII, in the medium bomber poll I posted the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero is listed and deservingly so.

I believe Japan is also well represented in my poll. Both the Japanese Army’s Ki-43 Oscar and Navy’s A6M Zero are on this list.

The Soviets also have three fighters on the list, the Lag-3, Yak-9 and P-39. The MiG 3 did not see long service life and could not be listed.

In making a poll you must realize that very few people want to read a list of 50 different choices.

• I chose not to include Italian fighters in the poll because the Italian Air Force was a failure.

That is, I’m afraid, what in the tradition of philosophy is labelled a “catagory error”, since we were not invited to name our favorite air force or to rate or rank the Regia. It’s like judging a Ferrari upon how Mr. Berlusconi is driving it. It also doesn’t make much sense in the light of the fact that the head of the luftwaffe commission for fighters in 1943 declared that the Fiat g.55 Centauro was “the best fighter in the axis.” (note)

I consider the Italian’s best fighter, the macchi mc.202 folgore, a copy of the me 109.

What you consider is in no way true: The Macchi mc.202 Folgore was an entirely different (and in many ways arguebly better) design, developed from the earlier Macchi mc.200 Saetta, to fit a inline Alfa-Romeo built DB601a. Look to the tailwing nicely mounted on the fuselage or to the wide inward retracting landing gear, and compare with ME 109. The frames of ME 109 and MC:202 are completely different from each other.

I believe Japan is also well represented in my poll. Both the Japanese Army’s Ki-43 Oscar and Navy’s A6M Zero are on this list.

It must be fair to point out the imbalance of challenging American late-war designs (P-47 and P-51 etc.) with early japanese designs rather than their true rivals, the late-war Japanese designs such as the inline Ki-61 and the radial Ki-84.

The Soviets also have three fighters on the list, the Lag-3, Yak-9 and P-39. The MiG 3 did not see long service life and could not be listed.

The MIG-3 was the standard high-altitude fighter of VVS during the critical years of 1941-42, and the first allied fighter capable of shooting down the Junkers Ju 86 high-altitude reconnaissance. Many russian aces flew the type which was build in relatively high numbers. More than 1200 had already been delivered at the start of operation Barberossa. (note) The P-39 on the other hand was an american fighter designed by Bell.

In making a poll you must realize that very few people want to read a list of 50 different choices.

I think most educated people want to choose for them self rather than having other people doing it for them. The answer to your problem would be to trim the criterias, fx. to “Favorite American single-seat monoplan fighter of wwII” if it’s important to get below 50 choices.

Nevertheless, even my favorite American fighter of WWII in that catagory was not in the poll. The Vultee P-66 Vanguard.

note:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.55
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mig-3

FIAT_G-55.jpg
    MiG-3.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m