• I voted for the Tiger-destroyer Hawker Typhoon, which is one of the most scary looking fighters of WWII. Actually Hawker Tempest V is better looking but they are closely related.

Then I voted for KI-43, but could just as well have chosen the Mosquito, P-38, ME 262, LAGG 3, FW 190 or the good old Hurricane.

• My Criteria for making the list.

1. Length of Service
    2. Impact on the War

I did make a mistake by leaving the Mosquito off the list, which was corrected.

Yes, the P-39 is an american design, however it was the Eastern Front where the majority of P-39 saw combat. The Russians loved the P-39. The P-39 impact on the war was with the Soviets.

If my poll does not meet your standards then make your own.

• I think you poll was pretty good AB. But you’ll always get someone with a wealth of knowledge regarding a facet of the subject that demmands attention.

@ABWorsham:

My Criteria for making the list.

1. Length of Service
    2. Impact on the War

I did make a mistake by leaving the Mosquito off the list, which was corrected.

Yes, the P-39 is an american design, however it was the Eastern Front where the majority of P-39 saw combat. The Russians loved the P-39. The P-39 impact on the war was with the Soviets.

• SpitFighter and the zero  :mrgreen:

• I voted for the FW-190 and the P-38, but my all time favorite has to be the P-40. I had the luck to see a group of these in the 1960’s mocked up to look like the “Flying Tigers”. I have been in love with the design ever since. :-D

• @legion3:

Macchi C.202 Folgore of the Regia Aeronautica

The Italian Thunderbolt

I voted for the 262 and the FW190

Please note that I gave love to the Italians (even posted some pics) and I agree that some
    Italian fighter should have made the list but as the German clerk in Schindler’s list said, “the list is correct sir, there’s nothing I can do.”

The German and Japanese airforces were also failures in the long run.  :wink:

Still love the poll.

• Yes, the P-39 is an american design, however it was the Eastern Front where the majority of P-39 saw combat. The Russians loved the P-39. The P-39 impact on the war was with the Soviets.

Interestingly if not surprisingly the P-39 seems to be loosing the poll (together with the Wildcat). So far we can thus conclude that overall, US seems to be the loser of the poll with the highest amount of unpopular planes with zero votes of any nation.

With the ME 262 seemingly winning the poll, eyebrows should be raised at the fact that the ME 262’s closest rival in it’s own catagory, the Gloster Meteor was unfairly banned from the poll.

• @Col:

With the ME 262 seemingly winning the poll, eyebrows should be raised at the fact that the ME 262’s closest rival in it’s own catagory, the Gloster Meteor was unfairly banned from the poll.

I’m surprised that a jet is the winner. I came close to not including the Me 262.  I may just be old school.

Col Cool, i have named you the Poll Cop- always fighting poll injustice.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m