• This is the sort of thing that it is easy to miss so I thought I’d pass it along.

A missing sub has been located.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27006283/?GT1=43001

• This actually got mentioned in a Guadalcanal thread on Artillery sinking a sub. Still its cool that it was found. There was some belief that the Grunion was possibly sunk by an IJN Sub, but there was never any firm knowledge. As the article states its still somewhat a mystery.

However, that tended to be how subs were lost… they report in on a certain day and are never heard from again. Sometimes Japanese records helped determine the fate of these boats and sometimes only God knows what occured.

• There are no roses on a sailor’s grave, no lilies on an ocean wave, The only tribute is the seagull’s sweeps, and the teardrops that a sweetheart weeps.  - A German Navy Song

• It struck me because it seems that with all the technology of today the biggest reason that the wherabouts of these ships isn’t known is no one has bothered to look for them.

• The reason that no one bothers to look for them is the cost.  The search for PT-109 cost $500,000.  I would dearly like to locate the USS Grampus, lost in the area of Blackett Strait in the Solomon Islands, but it takes money for the search ship, side-scan soner, underwater TV and ROVs, and more money to get everything to the Solomons for the search.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m