• Anyone going to check out this flick (or already have)?

I’m a fan of Spike Lee, but this seems to be getting mixed reviews.  The previews looked damn good to me, I just thought someone here would have an opinion from an interest in WW2 and could relay it.

• I was on the fence but the mixed reviews have put me in the not going camp.  :|

• Eh, I need something to do so might as well unless I get a bad review from here or a friend.  Could always wait for the discount theater, especially if the reviews are bad enough to get it there pretty quick…

• Well as I now have the luxury of Blu-ray and 1080p except for stuff I don’t want to have the ending spoiled I’ll be exhibiting a lot of patience with movie going in the future. Stuff I’d be going to first weekend, no matter what the reviews are like.

Quantum of Solace (new 007) is probably it till Trek XI in May.

• If I find the time (from what I hear I’ll need almost three hours of it), I will definitely check this out.  I’m a fan of Spike Lee, and I wonder how he would do a war movie.

Almost every review I’ve read thus far has said that this movie wasn’t good, or that the movie was good but needed to be an hour shorter.

• I don’t like spike lee, and this however looked promising but i hear the story gets more unbelievable as the movie goes on.

Ill most likely see it anyway to see how accurate the Germans are portrayed and because its a war movie and i seen everyone and have everything on DVD. Really waiting on 2 war movies:

Valkyrie with tom Cruise and Defiance.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie/valkyrie/
    http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie/defiance.3/

• I would have thought Valkyrie would have been out months ago since I first saw a preview what feels like spring or summer '07.  But I don’t think you’ll like it IL if you want an accurate portrayal of the Germans.  Well, at least by Cruise.

• His accent is non-existent which is a shame, while some of the other actors are British and were also on the movie Conspiracy which is one of my favorite movies. The British accent gives you the effect of the Star Wars Death Star command officers which is really cool for some reason and i think they extrapolated the same feeling to this movie.

But in a spike Lee movie you go much farther even to the point where the German generals are Africa American or something crazy like somebody in the movie uses some language that didn’t exist before 1990.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Which is pretty much why I don’t watch Spike Lee or Michael Moore films.  They’re okay fiction, but honestly, I have kids, if I’m shelling out $100 for a babysitter, I want awesome fiction, good acting, and a stellar story line!

Then again, I watch about 1 movie a year in the theater and I’m almost always disappointed too.  I do rent almost every movie that comes out (again with the exception of the aforementioned fiction writers).

• I’m sure everyone already knows this, but this movie is based on a historical fiction book, so liberties have been/were taken by the writer when he wrote the book. The only thing I guess “true” or “accurate” would/will probably be the units the men were in, uniforms and some other things. I’m not attempting to downplay the movie and what is portrays, I thought I’d just point it out. :|

As I said, D. Journalist, not only do I consider them both fiction writers but

they’re okay fiction

as in, the writing is very bad even for fiction.

But that’s just my personal opinion, and considering it’s my money, my opinion is the only one that really matters when it comes time to chose to go watch them or not, right? wink

• Jen,

I had just finished writing up my statement when you posted yours a few seconds before mine. I just thought I’d point out I wasn’t responding to what you said, nor did I take into account what you said neither. My bad if you thought I was replying to your statement.  :oops:

• Uh, Jenn & IL, have you ever even SEEN a Spike Lee movie?

I want to see it for the simple fact I like a few of his movies.  Some of them I don’t care for.  But Spike Lee & WW2 is a combination I wouldn’t exactly guess at.  So it makes me curious to see.

But when you make ridiculous claims like he’ll have black Nazi/German leaders (which isn’t really anything someone sane would do) or compare him to Michael Moore, you aren’t adding anything to the discussion.  Ok, well maybe a laugh.  :lol:

But I agree with the Death Star effect whole heartedly.

• I have seen: Mo’ Better Blues, Do the Right Thing, School Daze,Boys in the hood and Bamboozled

Most of the cast are African Americans but i was making a joke about him casting an african as a German General but its not too far off from reality from the examples of his casting in other movies.

Oliver Stone only does movies where they ridicule conservatism viewpoints, so i expect to get that in all his movies.

@Jermofoot:

Uh, Jenn & IL, have you ever even SEEN a Spike Lee movie?

I want to see it for the simple fact I like a few of his movies.  Some of them I don’t care for.  But Spike Lee & WW2 is a combination I wouldn’t exactly guess at.  So it makes me curious to see.

But when you make ridiculous claims like he’ll have black Nazi/German leaders (which isn’t really anything someone sane would do) or compare him to Michael Moore, you aren’t adding anything to the discussion.  Ok, well maybe a laugh.  :lol:

But I agree with the Death Star effect whole heartedly.

Well, I never claimed he had black nazis, but yes, I’ve seen some of his fiction.  They’re okay entertainment value, but not something I enjoyed as a primary repository for my hard earned cash.  I prefer Jerry Bruckheimer :P

• I miss the days of going to see a movie.

I just went to see my first movie in the Theater of the year: “An American Carol” it was hilarious!

I only went to the effort to see it in the theaters because Blockbuster is boycotting it (like they did with Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed until they lost the lawsuit.)

• I saw Miracle and as i suspected it was a typical spike lee movie. He extrapolates once again south central/bronx ghetto rough language of the 1990’s in every sentence, while the Germans look like mensa candidates. The Africans are portrayed as disgusting, corrupted and uneducated soldiers ( with some exceptions) ‘looking’ for opportunities. Its like he made it to appeal to the audience that watched his other movies by trying to turn WW2 france into “Gang Wars of the Hood” and frankly their was not any way it would have worked unless it was specifically about the “buffalo soldiers” and their bravery in fighting in spite of how they were treated at home. ON this level it had a chance and intimated that and similar points but it was very weak effort.

It should be a box office bust.

I saw stroke of genious and this was better but formalistic plot sequence.

• @Imperious:

I have seen: Mo’ Better Blues, Do the Right Thing, School Daze,Boys in the hood and Bamboozled

Most of the cast are African Americans but i was making a joke about him casting an african as a German General but its not too far off from reality from the examples of his casting in other movies.

Haven’t seen all those, but some of them were not good.  It happens.

Fair enough on the joke, but it is not reality at all.  He mainly does movies about the Bronx, in black neighborhoods.  That is appropriate.  Casting black men as German generals is just stupid (but yes, funny), and not something to do since he was so interested in showing contributions of blacks in WW2 - albeit from a book.

Oliver Stone only does movies where they ridicule conservatism viewpoints, so i expect to get that in all his movies.

Ok, maybe you do, but that’s Oliver Stone.  But “only does movies” is completely wrong when you see: Natural Born Killers, Alexander, Any Given Sunday, etc., or look at most of the movies he wrote the screenplay for.

@Cmdr:

Well, I never claimed he had black nazis, but yes, I’ve seen some of his fiction.  They’re okay entertainment value, but not something I enjoyed as a primary repository for my hard earned cash.  I prefer Jerry Bruckheimer :P

I wasn’t attributing the black nazi to you.  You don’t like him, ok, that’s fine.  No need to pull something nonsensical or unrelated like Michael Moore (yes, I know you don’t like him either).

@Cmdr:

I just went to see my first movie in the Theater of the year: “An American Carol” it was hilarious!

I only went to the effort to see it in the theaters because Blockbuster is boycotting it (like they did with Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed until they lost the lawsuit.)

Good fiction huh?

Question: how can a movie rental company boycott something that just came out on screen?

@Imperious:

I saw Miracle and as i suspected it was a typical spike lee movie. He extrapolates once again south central/bronx ghetto rough language of the 1990’s in every sentence, while the Germans look like mensa candidates. The Africans are portrayed as disgusting, corrupted and uneducated soldiers ( with some exceptions) ‘looking’ for opportunities. Its like he made it to appeal to the audience that watched his other movies by trying to turn WW2 france into “Gang Wars of the Hood” and frankly their was not any way it would have worked unless it was specifically about the “buffalo soldiers” and their bravery in fighting in spite of how they were treated at home. ON this level it had a chance and intimated that and similar points but it was very weak effort.

It should be a box office bust.

I saw stroke of genious and this was better but formalistic plot sequence.

Thanks for the assessment, I will reply once I’ve seen it.  Not holding much for it with the reviews, but will save the opinion for myself.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m