• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I think its pretty reliable, maybe not as straight forward, but I think it grows on you the more you use it. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a decent AI, but its pretty easy these days to hook up with other opponents in the lobby. What were the issues you were having? Maybe I can help

jasonwclark AT gmail DOT com

where AT=@ and DOT= .

:)

Or keep an eye out for “Triplelk” in the lobby.

Would be fun to get in some multiplayer games with the people over here. I could camp out there and help you guys work through some the issues.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Well, for one, the system refuses to open anyone’s file sent to me, it just reports it as corrupt and closes down.

For another, I want to see the entire map on the screen without scrolling.

I’d also like to have the power to put my pieces in the territory where I want them, not have them shuffled seemingly at random as I move units into and out of the territory. (I like infantry, artillery, armor, fighters, bombers and at sea, fighters, carriers, battleships, destroyers, submarines, transports with transported equipment to the starboard side of the transports.)

Furthermore, it would be great if I could shift click to drag 5 units, control click to drag 10 units and shift-control click to drag an entire stack at a time.

A currency counter for each nation would also be helpful.

Also a technology tracker would also be helpful.

And while we are in the process of making TripleA worth using, let’s add support for national advantages and maybe even AAR:Enhanced though at the moment, National Advantages and LHTR 2.0 National Advantages would be leaps forward so significant it would make the moon landings seem as significant as finding a hot dog at a baseball game.

But that’s just one girl’s opinion on the matter.

Insert Quote
    Well, for one, the system refuses to open anyone’s file sent to me, it just reports it as corrupt and closes down.

That sounds rather weird. Is this a problem just with playing via the forums? Most of my games are in Real Time, or to a lesser extent in PBEM. If you can log into the lobby though, I can host a live game for us to play. I can’t imagine in that case why we’d need to ever open or send any files back and forth. For the corrupt files, I’m not really sure what would be causing that. Perhaps someone else in the lobby will have more tech know how than me though, and be able to provide some insight to help you fix the problem.

For another, I want to see the entire map on the screen without scrolling.

I’d also like to have the power to put my pieces in the territory where I want them, not have them shuffled seemingly at random as I move units into and out of the territory. (I like infantry, artillery, armor, fighters, bombers and at sea, fighters, carriers, battleships, destroyers, submarines, transports with transported equipment to the starboard side of the transports.)

Mmmm I see what you mean.

I’m rather the same way with the units, especially on the real game board. I like to have the pieces all organized and facing the right direction. Aesthetically, I think tripleA is something of a disappointment in that regard (because the unit locations are all preset in the placement picker utility.) It has something to do with the code, that I don’t really understand, but the end result is that there is only a certain number of possible locations for the units and they switch to and from them depending on how many there are in a space. If the units spill over into a neighboring territory then there is a little black line to show where they really are, but I agree, its not the sweetest looking thing in the world.

The user interface is also a little cumbersome, with right clicking to scroll, and the text being hard to read when you zoom out to the see the full map. It is possible to zoom out to the full map under the game options, it just doesn’t look as clean. I’m not sure what we can do about that at this point, but I can tell you Zero Pilot and I have been pushing for a sweeter looking map from day one. Its possible ComradeKev will be able to help us implement some new ideas though, so I’m hopeful that something might actually get done this time. We don’t have a shift drag thing, but there is a control click to select a stack of units (or single left click for individual units.) Sometimes it can get a bit unwieldy, but its not as bad as it seems at first.

IPCs, techs, VCs, and TUV (total unit value) is all tracked in the stats window below the minimap. I’ll be the first to tell you its not the greatest looking, but I believe all the critical information is there. What sort of tracker would you like to see exactly?

And while we are in the process of making TripleA worth using, let’s add support for national advantages and maybe even AAR:Enhanced though at the moment, National Advantages and LHTR 2.0 National Advantages would be leaps forward so significant it would make the moon landings seem as significant as finding a hot dog at a baseball game.

But that’s just one girl’s opinion on the matter.

Totally
    National Advantages are something I would also like to see. Right now we do have some flexibility in this area using the Edit Mode, but I know its not the best solution. Still, the engine is much improved from the versions that were out even 6 months ago. I’m hopeful that renewed interest following the release of AA50, will spark some new development. Now would be the time to post suggestions on the dev boards I think. Since Kev seems to be pretty receptive to a lot of the ideas floating around right now.

Just let me know if you ever want to take another crack at it. Its probably not comparable PBEM, or PBF, but for the Real Time game with a quick set up I think its still a pretty useful little application.

:)

That’s not to say there are no redeeming qualities for TripleA.  I like that E. USA and W. USA (or C. USA for revised) are connected so you can scroll all the way around.

Anyway, the problem is when someone emails a file to me to open and do my turn.

What type of email account to do you have? If you want I can send you a gmail invite. Most of the regulars use gmail to communicate for A&A related stuff, and to play PBEM (since it organizes all the dice rolls into conversations, making them easier to check or delete in blocks.)

When you save a game it should have the extension .tsvg
    so autosave.tsvg or Elk-v-Jen-Germany1.tsvg
    something like that

Then you just place that file in the ‘saved games’ folder of your tripleA directory. When you launch the game (PBEM) you click the tab that says ‘load saved game’ and then choose the file you want to use. When you’re finished rolling you save out the file, usually with the current player/round listed, and send it back to your opponent.

When your opponent sends you an email with a save, you might have to right click and ‘save target as’ (and then send it to the saved games folder of TripleA) so that the file doesn’t open with a different program. That sometimes happens with the xml files anyway. But usually the email exchange is pretty easy to set up.

If you want I can help you troubleshoot it and get a quick game going. Just let me know

jasonwclark AT gmail.com  AT=@

I think what I was trying to do was browse too it, but then again, it was so long ago (Switch and I were on the same side, politically, at the time.)

I use hotmail, probably always will since the entire world knows my hotmail address.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m