• OK, we all know China is a popping inf minor who don’t use IC or even capital normal rules. I have a question.

All chinese territories are 1 ipcs (for Japan conquering them). Anyway, Manchuria is 3 ipcs and probably Hong Kong and Shangai are 2 ipcs. So…

What if Japan puts a IC in a Chinese conquered territory or simply in Manchuria? Of course, they could build normally.

But … what if Japan builds the IC in chinese territory and some allied power (including China itself) frees the territory with the IC?

Let’s see, China cannot use ICs or even IPCs, so no building or strat bombing. If other allies free it, reverts to chinese status, so we are in the same case.

China has no capital, so even if Japan conquer all China and some ally frees the territory who has the IC, becomes chinese again! Great! We have a chinese minor with a IC who cannot even pop a single inf!  :-P

Conclusion: China can have a conquered IC, but is no capable of using it. I think it sucks. Japan can enter China. China cannot enter japanese terrain. Japan can pop ICs at pleasure, but China (or allies)cannot use them even if China conquers them. Now imagine how cheap and gamey is a FIC IC for a Japanese player. No risks from north and they can rush for India if they like (in revised, you needed protect FIC IC against north attacks). Manchurian IC is another cool stuff, and worst: in revised, soviets (or even USA’s controled China) could menace it, and now in Anniversary, allies can conquer the IC and Japan can happily ignore it if something more important is there (as a USA’s fleet at Borneo sz), because allies cannot use that chinese controled IC.

I think China is severely weakened with this poping inf status. It gives much more to Japan (12 ipcs with bonus) than allies (1 more inf each turn a pair of turns if Japan attacks correctly). Maybe we should start thinking on allied bids for China (remember, soviet rear is next to China).

• Ooops, I guess Larry did’nt see that comin  :-P

• @Adlertag:

Ooops, I guess Larry did’nt see that comin  :-P

It probably never came up in playtesting.  That will mean house rules until they post a fix.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I would have much preferred it if China followed the same rules that all the other factions use.
    Having a sub-player like this, that uses different purchasing and movement conventions, is unnecessarily confusing.

• I’m not sure this is a bug. After all, Hong-kong and Shanghai can be entered by Chinese units and basically this would make it impossible for the Axis to win a VC Victory (these two are musts in almost any situation). Actually, I think this is the reason they went for that VC in Hong-Kong rather than Singapore which should have been more logical in other senses.

But maybe, yes, there should be a rule that the US would be able to utilize a CAPTURED IC, that would make sense. Then, if all of China was liberated, the Chinese would get American-designed but Chinese produced tanks and aircraft and still build Chinese infantry. Logically, however, this would imply that the US should be allowed to build an IC in a Chinese two or three value territory (Manchuria & Kiangsu), otherwise the mechanic is a bit strange.

I’m most concerned with the weak at-start forces of China, they look like push-overs. Perhaps Japan has to send troops into Burma to strike at India before builds are placed in an UK IC there, but I suspect Japan can wait another round and still take India and this would still make China very vulnerable on turn 1 as Burma can wait till turn 2!

• With how she is being treated by the rules, it appears China is meant to play a small part in the new game.  The IC condition described above keeps them as a bit player.

It’s already 4 on 3… do the allies need even more assistance?

That’s really a hypothetical question since I haven’t played the game yet.

• China should have a decent role in this game, or the idea of fighting Pacific will suffer heavy. Without China, India cannot survive. Without China and India, and thus Japan colecting about 55-60 ipcs, any fleet USA could build will not be enough.

And for those that are thinking that axis would have serious troubles in a 4 vs 3, just remember that trannies now are not cannon fodder. Luftwaffe can toast any uncared allied player (or players) boats in Atlantic, and, at least, will be a very difficult time to make landings at various points.

And remember that coordinate 4 brains is more difficult than coordinate 3 brains.

• China looks like it something Japan will be forced to deal with.  If they don’t China could become very painful.  This will require resources that Japan may not be able to afford (opportunity cost).  For example, if Japanese units are tied up early removing the Chinese, the US pacific fleet might be more free from pressure and can have some easy early war gains.

• @allies_fly:

China looks like it something Japan will be forced to deal with.  If they don’t China could become very painful.  This will require resources that Japan may not be able to afford (opportunity cost).  For example, if Japanese units are tied up early removing the Chinese, the US pacific fleet might be more free from pressure and can have some easy early war gains.

That will kill the Japanese if they don’t at least get the Chinese problem under control.

• To buy IC’s in China which will be useless for Japan anyway, a stupid tactic, if the Jap player wastes money like that the axis will surely lose anyway.

From a technically point of view it does seem like this is a glitch from the game designers, although we can’t say for sure until the 23. October.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m