• @Rakeman:

If Historical requirements were needed, I would say that America’s income should start low, but they get a bonus for every round that passes.  That would simulate that the Axis must either crush Russia and the pacific fast, or let America bail the allies out.  But I’m fine with how it is.

Yeah, that is kind of what I was getting at with an ‘80-100 IPC America,’ Rakeman. Starting them off with something low (like 20-30), then increasing by a given amount for a given number of turns. It would still give the  Axis a chance, but at the same time, grounding the game in reality somewhat. The United States massively out-produced everyone on the planet during WWII. I just wish A&A would reflect that a bit more.  :-(

• @Admiral:

@Rakeman:

If Historical requirements were needed, I would say that America’s income should start low, but they get a bonus for every round that passes.  That would simulate that the Axis must either crush Russia and the pacific fast, or let America bail the allies out.  But I’m fine with how it is.

Yeah, that is kind of what I was getting at with an ‘80-100 IPC America,’ Rakeman. Starting them off with something low (like 20-30), then increasing by a given amount for a given number of turns. It would still give the  Axis a chance, but at the same time, grounding the game in reality somewhat. The United States massively out-produced everyone on the planet during WWII. I just wish A&A would reflect that a bit more.  :-(

In 1941, a 20 IPC America wouldn’t be too bad.  Make an allied objective “Gain +10 IPC for every round that has passed (Max = 60)”. This would start at 0, so first turn income would be 20, then 30, then …… then 80.   Or +15, I don’t know.  A problem with this, however, is that it would devalue the mainland territories permanently in IPC.  Perhaps the following:

America has 40 IPC income (close to revised).  The bonus is restated, “Gain +10 IPC for every round that has passed (Max = 60).  You start the game with -20 income from this bonus.”

America’s strength, after all, was the economy (times have changed I guess…  :|)

• '10

I dont like bids. They are not necessary.

I liked they way Larry designed and balanced the A&a games. …and I played my first MB boardgame Axis & Allies 18 years ago.

I’m shure he did a great job on A&A50.

I already preordered the game.

• @marechallannes:

I dont like bids. They are not necessary.

If you always play allies then bids are not necessary if you like to win and if the opponent is okay with losing.
    Or the opposite, if you play axis and prefer losing most of your games then it’s perfectly ok of course. Most people play for fun, even if I think it’s more fun when I’m winning.

• '10

I prefer a “good game”.

I dont need to win every time.

Not with a boardgame that lasts 6 - 7 hours….

It is correct that the axis have a disadvantage. Stronger players like the axis.

If you are playing with low-luck-rules in tournaments and use everytime the same strategy - the you need bids.

• @marechallannes:

I prefer a “good game”.

I dont need to win every time.

Not with a boardgame that lasts 6 - 7 hours….

It is correct that the axis have a disadvantage. Stronger players like the axis.

If you are playing with low-luck-rules in tournaments and use everytime the same strategy - the you need bids.

I will agree, my friends and I just put the better players on Axis.  Plus, we make sure to use new strategies, so that we catch the other people off guard.  It is a game after all.

I do use bids in online play and if the weaker player really wants to try Axis, or if we are holding a little grudge match  :-D

• Bid has nothing to do with LL or ADS. I play to win every game i play, but I think it’s difficult to win more than I lose, so I prefer to use same strats that are used by the best players usually, and so I always use KGF, but every game is different even with KGF.
    Chess has 32 pieces on the board, AAR has about 200 units….every single game is different!

Some people think that LL or ADS favors either the axis or the allies, this is BS! Bid level for most players is around 8-9 ipc regardless of ADS or LL.

• '10

by the way…

Is there a difference between the starting income and the contries IPC values in the 41 scenario?
    (like XENOS world at war)

I can’t believe that UK starts with 43 IPCs!

From the fact sheet:
    _Order of play:

• Germany, Russia, Japan, UK, Italy, US in '41.

The IPC values for -41 scenario should be:
    Germany 31  (+ 5 IPC bonus controlled at-start)
    Soviet Union 30 (+ 5 IPC bonus controlled at-start)
    Japan 17 (+5 IPC bonus controlled at-start)
    UK 43
    Italy 10 (+5 IPC bonus controlled at-start)
    US/China 40 (+ 5 IPC bonus controlled at-start), China produces 1 free inf for each two Chinese territories controlled at the start of US turn.

IPC balance (bonuses included, 2 inf worth of China inf):
    Axis: 73, Allies: 129._

• if i was germany id send forces to afrika and crush gbs ipcs jsut to cream em.

also i was doing something about saying destroy ipcs b4 taking territory

• I agree completely that underdog games can be fun but I believe that at least for tourney play a balancing act is necessary.

If flat IPC bonuses are boring there are alternatives…

You can make existing national objectives easier or more rewarding for the underdog team.

You can also create new ones that give the game even more historic flavor.  One that I used for classic A&A is that Japan got 1 IPC for each unit it had within 2 territories of West United states (including forces aboard transports).

You can also give the underdogs a free tech, or free tech rolls.

You can also enact restrictions, for instance: Russia cannot attack Japan until Japan attacks them first.

• House Rules!

They always add flare like what you were saying attack on russia only formidable until japan attacks them which would be really historical and maybe making territories like “midway” worth an ipc for the axis and not for the allies love house rules like that

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m