Battleship: 2 hits in both offense and defense?

• Hello.
    Been reading up for quite some time on everything related to Revised (after playing Classic for years).
    I played the first Revised game yesterday (and lost terribly btw…), but I have one question about the Battlehip.

On the reference chart, with attack and defense capability, it only indicates the “two hits to sink-symbol” on the defense capability.
    However, in the Rules and all the strategy guides I’ve read, I don’t seem to find this difference.

So…the battleship…can it take two hits, regardless if it’s attacking or defending ? Or just when defending?

Thanks for the answer, and keep up the good work A&A enthusiasts :)

• Battleships take two hits to kill whether on attack or defense.

• Thanks. Changes the German meditarrean situation quite a bit …

• @Woodstock:

Thanks. Changes the German meditarrean situation quite a bit …

Not really.  The Allies have been given more fighters and fleet to compensate.  Notice the sub off Egypt is now a Destroyer?  Notice the Indian Ocean fleet?  And so on . . .

• @Gamer:

@Woodstock:

Not really.  The Allies have been given more fighters and fleet to compensate.  Notice the sub off Egypt is now a Destroyer?  Notice the Indian Ocean fleet?  And so on . . .

Yeah, I noticed the enlarged UK fleet, but I meant that the 2 hit kill applies to both offense and defense for the Battleship makes a difference.
    The UK wasn’t attacking my Med fleet, as he thought “Well, he is weaker in attack then defense, so let him attack me.”…and I was holding off my attack on his Battleship for the same reason…

• Another q about the battle ship.

It may not participate in a sea battle, and then conduct shore bombardment.
    However, I do have to move all my pieces in the combat move phase before delivering battle.
    So the battle ship will be in the same sea zone if I plan on attacking a fleet + an amphibious assault.

If I decide that my battleship is going to conduct shore bombardment, it may not fire during the sea battle prior to the amphibious assault.
    But is it allowed to take hits in the sea battle?
    I mean, it is right there in the area. It can take 2 shots, so can it take 1, and then, when I win the sea battle, can it still conduct shore bombardment?

(For instance…bad example though: G1, Amphibious assault on Anglo Egypt.
    The UK Destroyer is in the way, but I want my Battleship to bombard the main land during the landing, so I have two fighters from Europe take on the Destroyer. If the Destroyer places a hit, I have my Battleship take it, so I dont lose anything.
    Can the Battleship then still bombard the shore after I sunk the Destroyer with my fighters?)

• @Woodstock:

Another q about the battle ship.

It may not participate in a sea battle, and then conduct shore bombardment.
    However, I do have to move all my pieces in the combat move phase before delivering battle.
    So the battle ship will be in the same sea zone if I plan on attacking a fleet + an amphibious assault.

If I decide that my battleship is going to conduct shore bombardment, it may not fire during the sea battle prior to the amphibious assault.
    But is it allowed to take hits in the sea battle?
    I mean, it is right there in the area. It can take 2 shots, so can it take 1, and then, when I win the sea battle, can it still conduct shore bombardment?

(For instance…bad example though: G1, Amphibious assault on Anglo Egypt.
    The UK Destroyer is in the way, but I want my Battleship to bombard the main land during the landing, so I have two fighters from Europe take on the Destroyer. If the Destroyer places a hit, I have my Battleship take it, so I dont lose anything.
    Can the Battleship then still bombard the shore after I sunk the Destroyer with my fighters?)

You need to look at page 19 or 20 in your rule book.  ALL sea units are assumed to participate in the naval battle, so if an enemy ship is present, your battleship MAY NOT conduct shore bombardment as well as be in the naval battle.  Your battleship may take the hit.

• You are right, sorry. It’s right there indeed.

• @Woodstock:

@Gamer:

@Woodstock:

Yeah, I noticed the enlarged UK fleet, but I meant that the 2 hit kill applies to both offense and defense for the Battleship makes a difference.
    The UK wasn’t attacking my Med fleet, as he thought “Well, he is weaker in attack then defense, so let him attack me.”…and I was holding off my attack on his Battleship for the same reason…

Well, it’s sort of obvious to us that have been playing Revised a while.  But when you think about it, why would the extra hit only apply to defense?  The extra hit is to reflect the fact the Battleship represents a MUCH larger set of surface ships than a destroyer, and that is true whether the fleet is attacking or defending.  And as for NOT attacking it, why on earth would Germany use the Med. fleet to attack, unless the likely result is annihilation of Allied fleet?  If you wait for the Germans to attack another fleet with the Med. fleet, you should be waiting quite a while in most cases.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m