• Hello everybody,

I’ve heard/read a few people say that the Germans should capture Leningrad (and Vyborg) on their first turn in order to prevent the Soviets from absorbing fighters from their allies.

Now, I know the Germans can buy an extra transport with their initial 12 IPC, and amphibiously invade Leningrad, under cover of the Luftwaffe.

But at the end of their turn the Germans can only have a maximum of 4 ground units in Leningrad. The Soviets are the next to play. They can easily recapture Leningrad. So by the time it’s Britain’s turn, they can send fighters to the Soviets without any hassle.

So what’s the deal? How do the Germans prevent the Soviets from absorbing allied fighters? Am I missing something here?

Regards,

Maarschalk

• just do it in your next game followed by 1-2 builds of infantry , then all tanks after that. The picture will present itself to you soon and you will say “gee what a broken game… i need some house rules”

• @Imperious:

just do it in your next game followed by 1-2 builds of infantry , then all tanks after that. The picture will present itself to you soon and you will say “gee what a broken game… i need some house rules”

Don’t ruin the game for new players.  Boiling everything down to a formula takes the fun out for new players.  Let them experiment and have fun.  As long as they are not playing against a ruthless veteran, then there will be no problems.

Mot

• @Maarschalk:

Hello everybody,

I’ve heard/read a few people say that the Germans should capture Leningrad (and Vyborg) on their first turn in order to prevent the Soviets from absorbing fighters from their allies.

Now, I know the Germans can buy an extra transport with their initial 12 IPC, and amphibiously invade Leningrad, under cover of the Luftwaffe.

But at the end of their turn the Germans can only have a maximum of 4 ground units in Leningrad. The Soviets are the next to play. They can easily recapture Leningrad. So by the time it’s Britain’s turn, they can send fighters to the Soviets without any hassle.

So what’s the deal? How do the Germans prevent the Soviets from absorbing allied fighters? Am I missing something here?

Regards,

Maarschalk

The idea is that Germany would push hard into the Baltic States at the same time such that Lenengrad is threatened every turn.  The Allies aren’t likely to land a fighter where Germany destroy it before it can get converted.  Remember that the UK goes after Russia, so the fighter has to stay grounded through Germanys next turn until the end of Russia’s next turn.

And don’t forget that Russia cannot build in Lenegrad on turn 1 if it was captured by the Germans, even if they do take it back.  That makes it difficult for Russia to re-enforce Leningrad as long as German can recapture it each turn.

• Why not spend the 12 allied IPCs in the start of the game on 4 infantry for Leningrad?  That should make it harder to capture, and if held against the Germans, they can build all their forces there…?

Edit:  Well, if the german player builds a transport and sends all air units at Leningrad, they should still cap it… maybe if playing with an allied bid, this would be fixed?  IMO, Pacific and Europe need Allied bids, while standard needs an Axis bid obviously.  Especially pacific, needs a 12 IPC bid to place in India.

• You have a decent chance of capturing it even without the extra transport as long as you send in air, if you are going for a surprise attack.

I have played in the past with a minor variation of the Allied 12 IPCs placed first and then the Germans second, which makes the second transport more viable.

I suppose one could place a transport to threaten the Leningrad, the Soviets responds with using the 12 IPCs to drop soldiers there, and then Germany swings the transport into the UK seazone as fodder and takes Malta instead (which is a classic place for the UK to use some of the initial 12 IPCs).

• @Rakeman:

Why not spend the 12 allied IPCs in the start of the game on 4 infantry for Leningrad?  That should make it harder to capture, and if held against the Germans, they can build all their forces there…?

Edit:  Well, if the german player builds a transport and sends all air units at Leningrad, they should still cap it… maybe if playing with an allied bid, this would be fixed?  IMO, Pacific and Europe need Allied bids, while standard needs an Axis bid obviously.  Especially pacific, needs a 12 IPC bid to place in India.

I am thinking of a 12 IPC boost for each Allied player in a Europe expansion I am working on in which I add Italy as a fifth player, and splitting the 12 IPC boost between the German and Italian player.  That would give the Russians and the British the ability to shore up Leningrad and Egypt.  As for Pacific, you might want to take a look at my house rules posted in the house rule portion of the boards.  Right now, score is even between the Japanese and the Allies, so I feel pretty good about those rules.  I am adding some more things to them as well.

• Ok! 1st of all when i went through a few senarios, i would tell friends dotn give me ur planes bobm the out of germany and kill those fn u-boats if u use those u-boats well with germany allied incoem can go down 28.
    25(gb income) 40(u.s.a’s income) 24(ussr income) - 28=61 income  for the allies
    24-4=20 russian income
    25-16=11 gb income
    40-10=30 usa income plus u can destroy the united states navy and bomb gb so then germany would destroy the allied advance on the 1st turn which is good
    then if u attack bassabia and baltics gt1)
    the allies cant do anything dont send fighters to ussr until no threats from subs ok bad idea and even so i say bomb gemany

edit: please don’t use language like that in future posts.

• The games is not broken…it is an even, fair game. You just have to know what you are doing.

• exactly thats why i sent my subs to do soem dirty work man the allies on west side = toast round 1 and 2 but then i need to take a chunk out of russia or round 3 im totally dead

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m