What do we know of the -42 Scenario?

• 2007 AAR League

I suppose our knowledge is thin, regarding that this is the first post ever in this sub-forum  :-)
    Anyhow, what do you know?

For starters, when during 1942, does the Scenario start?

• Spring 42, like AAR

its supposed to be more like normal AA setup.

I think BGG has one picture but its in the middle of play and it would be hard to know from it what pieces were moved or not moved.

the 41 scenario is easy to see what is going on exactly.

• http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/362810

that pic?  It looks plausible for the 1942 setup if you just knock off the German stuff in SAmerica and the bombers in the atlantic.

• yes but you see in 1942 Japan plays first and Germany plays third after russia, and i know its Germany’s turn because the bombers are over water. So the only units that have not moved are UK, Italy, and USA/China.

I suppose you can use those unplayed setups as beginning strategy.

• How do you know those German bombers are in play?  I certainly don’t think the tank in Brazil is in play…and the artillery in one of the neutral SAmerican spots can’t be in play.  I’d think that ship down by Brazil isn’t in play either.

• Official Q&A

I’d say the UK aircraft carrier in Trans-Jordan definitely isn’t in play.

• i know the 42 turn order is:

Japan
    Soviets
    Germany
    UK
    Italy
    USA/china

so it may even be turn 2 with Germany’s turn going on. I think we cant get any information on the set up with this picture. so further exploration is useless IMO.

But i think its a really fun thing to do while waiting for basically Christmas in October.

• I’m not sure you understand my point.  I think that pic COULD POSSIBLY be the 1942 setup.  Just trash the German units in the Atlantic as well as the giant British tank (carrier) in Trans-Jordan.  And now that I look, the US bomber in UK.  Yes, that’s a lot of stuff in places it shouldn’t be if it is actually the setup.  Maybe they did it on purpose in anticipation of picture thieves.  I dunno.  But the pacific looks a good deal like Revised setup.  Submarine off Solomons, carrier+fighter+destroyer off Caroline, battleship+trans off Japan, battlehips+2fighters+carrier off East Indies, UK trans/carrier/fighter/destroyer off India, Hawaiian navy looks similar, just 1 DD instead of 1 sub.  Pretty much all the same, and maybe that’s just to throw any picture takers off as well.  Heck, for all we know the pics we’ve been looking at for 1941 aren’t the actual setup either.  But yes, it’s cool to speculate at the actual setup and possible strats, and for that this pic gets a bit fuzzy up in the european area, difficult to tell what spots each unit is in.  All I’m saying is it doesn’t look too far off a possible setup if you exclude certain pieces that seem completely out of place anyway.  And for being in the middle of a game…lots of pieces are in places that would have been very awkward moves by players.  And the Russian sub is still up by Archangel! :P  I dunno, maybe it is maybe it isn’t, seems possible to me, though.  If it is, Russia has a bomber, zomg!

• Ok then lets look at that picture and have some observations.

• 03321 and Perry:

come up with some ideas for 42.

I hope the German player gets 2 bombers and notice all his extra ships! his navy is like double and 5 fighters

Plus Russia has bomber ( i dont see fighters)

• I think I see one Russian fighter up in Leningrad, little hard to tell but it looks like a fighter.

• Given that the Italian fleet is still in its 1941 start position, and North Africa looks exactly like it does in the 1941 start position, I do not think that is the 1942 scenario at all.  If it is 1942, then the start for Italy and Germany in North Africa is identical to 1941.  It looks more like a hodgepodge of various possible unit moves and builds showing off the game mechanics.  And what is that deck of cards in the South Atlantic for?

• Official Q&A

@timerover51:

And what is that deck of cards in the South Atlantic for?

Those are IPCs.

• Given that the Italian fleet is still in its 1941 start position, and North Africa looks exactly like it does in the 1941 start position, I do not think that is the 1942 scenario at all.  If it is 1942, then the start for Italy and Germany in North Africa is identical to 1941.

The Italian fleet basically stayed in port the entire war aside from a few sorties, so it stands to reason that its the same from 41 to 42.

Also, in the spring of 41 and the spring of 42, the african campaign was essentially at the same point. The battles went back and forth until August 42 when than ended.

The German forces are engaged in more than a few Soviet territories, so it assumes at least a turn or so of battles.

It could be the other scenario, but i see alot of German ships and in 1 year thats not justified based on what Germany produced.

• @Imperious:

Given that the Italian fleet is still in its 1941 start position, and North Africa looks exactly like it does in the 1941 start position, I do not think that is the 1942 scenario at all.  If it is 1942, then the start for Italy and Germany in North Africa is identical to 1941.

The Italian fleet basically stayed in port the entire war aside from a few sorties, so it stands to reason that its the same from 41 to 42.

Also, in the spring of 41 and the spring of 42, the african campaign was essentially at the same point. The battles went back and forth until August 42 when than ended.

Pretty much what I was thinking.
    @Imperious:

The German forces are engaged in more than a few Soviet territories, so it assumes at least a turn or so of battles.

It could be the other scenario, but i see alot of German ships and in 1 year thats not justified based on what Germany produced.

Germany’s surrounding Leningrad and pushing on Stalingrad and Moscow, were they not that far in mid-1942?  I seem to be less a history buff than most around here : /.  But again, it looks pretty much like the Revised set up as far as ownership/boundaries.

As far as the navy, I don’t see many more ships for Germany?  As I said, I would disregard that one down by Brazil as just sitting there and not part of the game.  Aside from that I can only really see 2 ships south of UK (same 2 subs as 1941 I think), the Baltic fleet (looks same as 1941 to me, maybe one more sub), and 2 ships by Gibraltar (trans+DD?).  That’s only an addition of one destroyer and one sub.  It’s kind of fuzzy up there and ground troops are in the way so I could be wrong.

And I’m not trying to force the belief that this has to be the 1942 setup.  I just seem to be more open to that possibility than you guys.

• for German navy i see:

3-4 ships in baltic… looks like 1941 set up, plus the same 2 subs, but…

a transport and cruiser in the west medd and a Battleship off brazil.

• It cannot be 1942 deployment. China would lose her LONE fighter even before China 1  :-P

• http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/362530
    This may be it for the -42 scenario, but I’m not sure.

• No thats 41 for sure.

• 2007 AAR League

Wow, that’s amazing. Then we truly do not know anything about the -42 scenario …? No pics, no setup information, and nothing has been revealed…?

Is it at least safe to assume that the Axis are worse off in the -42 scenario than in the -41 Scenario?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m