Yes, I just wish convoy zones would have been but in the game in the first place like AAE. That was a great idea to get the Battle of the Atlantic in the game. AA50 should have been AAE and AAP combined with a few modifications. Still looks awesome though. I see IL has come up with a convoy system in his AA50 house rules. I think the simplest way to do it would be to be key sea zones and put control markers in them. If an enemy unit enters it you cover it with your marker. Each convoy could be worth 1 or 2 IPC’s. Depending on what worked better. If you get it back then remove the enemy’s marker.
Sea Zones - #65, 56, 55, 18, 19, 20, 10, 53, 56 ,50
UK- #1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 28, 35, 46, 47, 42, The East Indies Zones, can’t see numbers from pictures
Japan-#61, 62, 50, 36, 60, The East Indies Zones, can’t see numbers from pictures
Although I have only played a few games of AA50 a few things seem clear regardless of the scenario:
1. Chinamen vaporize faster than the humans In War of the Worlds…for a 1940 population of 455mil you have a better chance of finding a brontosaurus on the map by turn 3, possibly by turn 2 with the 41 scenario. Perhaps the spawn policy should be changed…maybe 1 for every 2 terr rounded up.
2. He/she who controls the Gaza strip rules the world…the strip between Egypt and India plays a major role in deciding the game. If this is in allied hands the russians can usually hold the Caucases… if not their position is tenuous. conversely,
3. Germans cannot live on a diet of sauerbraten alone… a little linguini and sushi help the digestion (of Russia) If the russian player is good I think it is difficult to do it with Germany alone. Just as russia need to hold out until the allies arrive Germany only needs to hold the front with/without Italy’s help until you can get double/triple penetration on cau/rus with Japan. Italy can either support france freeing the huns for eastward movement or shuttle thru Istanbul Btw, I think closed Dardanelles is for pussies.
4. NOs…I don’t know. The axis NOs are more easily obtained but I certainly like the extra 5 I get in russia for no foreigners as it lets me squeeze an armor in here and there.
5. Pocket change…whenever I have a few extra scheckles I find myself buying subs particularly in a no tech game. Its like a boxer with a good jab. keeps the Japs out of the Americans face, also good for the Med.
6. Advantage who…are the axis really favored??? I am currently plaing a gencom rules game where axis recieved a bid. Maybe this is to offset the allied VC
advantage with an 8 turn / 6 hour limit an no NOs I’d like to know peoples thoughts on who is favored and why
Just as other ships may, submarines may also move out of a sea zone where they begin their turn with enemy ships, even destroyers. The destroyer doesn’t stop the sub’s movement, as the sub didn’t enter the sea zone - it started off there.
Put that in the FAQ