How to promote fighting in the Pacific?

• Awesome “victory territory” list.

• @Craig:

Here is the set of Victory Territories (VTs) that I used in running the A&A tournament at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC):

Adjudication System-
    The determination of who wins a tournament game will be based upon the control of Victory Territories (VTs).  The Victory City method of determining a winner will NOT be used.  Each side controls 12 Victory Territories at the beginning of the game.  The Victory Territories are listed below.

If a player holds 18 (or more) VTs for a full round of game play (From the end of a country’s turn to the beginning of that same country’s next turn.), then that player automatically wins the game.

In the event of a VT tie at the end of the game, whichever side increased its IPC total is the winner.  If the game is still tied after reviewing the IPC totals, then the GM will make a determination of the winner based on upon the game situation at the time the game ended.

If a player chooses to concede a game before it has reached the 18 VT automatic win threshold or the game time limit (4.5 hrs), a default score of 19 VTs and +30 IPCs will be awarded to the winner.

It definitely creates more action in the Pacific.

Craig

Is it safe to assume that this is a two-player game, and not a five-player game?

• Your system can help in a true multiplayer game, i.e. three on two, if you win as a side, which is how we do it in our historical game and War and Diplomacy class.  Basically, the Allies have to hold all of their territories and take 6 of the Axis.  I suspect that it would be easier to take four from the Japanese (the East Indies, Borneo, the Philippines, and French Indo-China) and two from Germany (Norway and one other).  You would have more of a holding operation against Germany, while going after the territories of Japan.

• @Rakeman:

What are some various ways to promote fighting in the Pacific?

The Axis and Allies Revised Pacific Theater Drinking Game, of course.

• @Bunnies:

@Rakeman:

Wrath-man, where you been hiding lately? Haven’t seen you around in quite some time.

• @Bunnies:

@Rakeman:

Hey, I am a bachelor next weekend (Angel will be away Friday to Sunday for a bridal shower).  Sned me the rules for that drinking game variant!  And hey… anyone close enough to Raleigh for an FTF drinking game next weekend?  Free booze and a place to crash…

• hm, for some reason the pacific is nearly always an important part in our games.
    if jap doesnt have the biggest fleet, it would lose a lot of income to the US due to losing all those islands. and if the US doesnt hold against that, jap will sooner or later land in los angeles.

furthermore, on the main continent, jap is usually under pressure from uk (india) and the us (china). so its actually not too unhappy about the NAP with the russians.

all this, while its not really about killing jap first… but those situations seem to arise in a chain reaction: the US has to help the UK, by going to africa and by its presence in the pacific, which forces jap to invest in fleet as well… instead of building troops to invade india/china.
    due to that, the UK can help russia by nagging the germans.
    the better the allied nations support each other like that, the less likely it is, that germany or japan manage to make any big moves.

• @Sondrax:

hm, for some reason the pacific is nearly always an important part in our games.

the better the allied nations support each other like that, the less likely it is, that germany or japan manage to make any big moves.

Welcome to the Forums, Sondrax.  I hope that you find it educating and illuminating.

That has been my experience as well in our summer historical gaming class.  We always have considerable combat in the Pacific, and the better the Allied players work together, the harder it is for Germany and Japan to do well.

• @ncscswitch:

@Bunnies:

@Rakeman:

Hey, I am a bachelor next weekend (Angel will be away Friday to Sunday for a bridal shower).  Sned me the rules for that drinking game variant!  And hey… anyone close enough to Raleigh for an FTF drinking game next weekend?  Free booze and a place to crash…

If I wasn’t already committed this weekend I would take you up on that! I used to live in Harnett County (I was stationed at Bragg for 4 years) but now live a few hours away in VA. I still come down a half a dozen times or so a year to visit friends, maybe we can get together in the future. If you get the drinking game rules I would love a copy, I assume it would be a shot glass on each island, the only question is does the winner or loser of the island drink the shot?
    Jason

• The loser drinks…  That keeps the winner on top!  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m