• The bits and pieces I am reading about the new rules seem complicated.  So I pose the question:

Will this game have a better following with expierenced A&A players who can build on their already established working knowledge of A&A functions?

Or

Will AA50 intise a new group of gamers to bring them into the A&A fold?

LT

• Allies players because what Axis player would want to play it?

• I voted veteran, because they will be more quick learn the rule.
    New players may be attractec by his greater historicity in repsect the preceding edition.
    However it is still a wargame even if a light wargame, and so it is out of reach for casual players.

• @variant:

Allies players because what Axis player would want to play it?

Don’t you think you might want to play it before you say the Axis can’t win?  :?

I remember with BOTB it was all no way can the Allies win. I now think the reverse is true.

It is early days and we don’t know all the rules and haven’t even played yet.  :-)

• :?  Axis players and Allied players were not answers, nor were they involved in the question  :?

• @frimmel:

@variant:

Don’t you think you might want to play it before you say the Axis can’t win?  :?

I remember with BOTB it was all no way can the Allies win. I now think the reverse is true.

It is early days and we don’t know all the rules and haven’t even played yet.  :-)

You think there is no way for the Axis to win BOTB?  Why is that?  (if this isn’t too off-topic)

To answer the question of the topic:  MSRP is 100 bucks.  This isn’t a game for new blood  :-P

• @Rakeman:

You think there is no way for the Axis to win BOTB?  Why is that?  (if this isn’t too off-topic)

I think it is largely dependent on what lives through the first turn for the Allies but the Allies should be able to stall long enough while staying even in material to bring their air power into the game which usually shuts the Axis down.

It is not a foregone conclusion but in early days it was always foregone that Axis would win. Now I’m pretty sure the Allies have the advantage. No one won as Allies in 10 games or something. I’ve won the last three as Allies by miles.

I agree that the $100 puts it out of entry player range. They’ll try one of the cheaper versions.

• Come on at least quote the actual price: You can easily find it for $69.00 or $75 range. Thats $100 thing would be the price you pay at a convention or a ripoff hobby store. Toys R US will sell it for even less.

• @frimmel:

@Rakeman:

I think it is largely dependent on what lives through the first turn for the Allies but the Allies should be able to stall long enough while staying even in material to bring their air power into the game which usually shuts the Axis down.

It is not a foregone conclusion but in early days it was always foregone that Axis would win. Now I’m pretty sure the Allies have the advantage. No one won as Allies in 10 games or something. I’ve won the last three as Allies by miles.

I agree that the $100 puts it out of entry player range. They’ll try one of the cheaper versions.

Oh, I didn’t know the game was considered more balanced now, that’s pretty cool  :-)

I’m trying not to diverge too off-topic, but what would you say are the most imbalanced A&A games?  (Obviously using things like LHTR instead of OOB for Revised, and the alternate Japan setup in Pacific, as those were obviously broken if they needed repair)

I still think new players should just go for D-Day.  Learn all the basic rules of combat in an easier game.

@Imperious:

Come on at least quote the actual price: You can easily find it for $69.00 or $75 range. Thats $100 thing would be the price you pay at a convention or a ripoff hobby store. Toys R US will sell it for even less.

$100 is the MSRP.  A lot of online places will be selling it for about 70, but I doubt the average guy who never played an A&A game is going to be shopping around online for it… more likely they run into it at a store, IMO.  However, still… $70 for a boardgame is still a lot for someone to swallow if they have no idea if they like A&A.

• I got my 2 copies for 69.99,hopefully they actually arrive here in Canada when they are supposed to,and that the store is legit.

• @Imperious:

Come on at least quote the actual price: You can easily find it for $69.00 or $75 range. Thats $100 thing would be the price you pay at a convention or a ripoff hobby store. Toys R US will sell it for even less.

IL you are correct that the online store will let them go in the 69-75 range but Toys R US is usually close to MSRP (never seen anything at or less than online except for clearance items) and my local game store is usually at MSRP as well.

And if you’ve never played coming across this for $100 bucks at Toys R US you’re probably going to get a new video game instead.

• @Krupp:

I got my 2 copies for 69.99,hopefully they actually arrive here in Canada when they are supposed to,and that the store is legit.

A friend of my in-laws lives in Ontario.  He orders stuff from all over the place and sends it to my in-laws house in northern NY.  He says he gets better deals that way.

I’m glad to hear that the prices and time table are working out for you.

LT

• but Toys R US is usually close to MSRP

oh no. i saw revised for under 30 bucks and i think the MSRP is about 40 something.

TRU is a discount store. The once that rip off are the mom and pop stores cause they cant buy in quantity

• Target sells Revised online for $44.99, but it has free shipping.

• @variant:

I would argue just the opposite.  Unless the Allied players are very good, and are also fortunate with their die rolls, I expect the Axis to win easily.  Based on what I have seen so far, I am somewhat disappointed with the game.  I expected better, both with unique military pieces for Italy, and with respect to the game itself.  As for attracting new gamers, the complexity and the price will rule those out.

• Customizer

This is a good topic I voted the vets, but only by a small margin.

The vets know it, but alot are skeptical. But let’s say some Risk or Attack! vet spots this, or even the dad or uncle sees it at Toys R Us. That might spark a light of nostalgia.

As for the price I agree 100.00 at the hobby shop. Toys R Us/Hobby shop is the only way to get this in one day. Toys R Us also is selling AADD and AAR at 39.99 I’d rather support my local game shop than buy online because here in my city there’s not many of them. Basically the only way you’ll find this cheap is if you buy online.

• From what I’ve heard, this game might have to cater to the vets, just because of all the rule problems and stuff people have been mentioning with the game. Might get too frustrating for a noob.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m