• 2007 AAR League

Quote from the cited thread:
    “Even if you buy just one research token, you guarantee yourself a tech sooner or later”

Ok, I’ve read the thread, but there is one thing i don’t get…

Say you buy a research token on Turn1
    Upon rolling for Tech , Turn 2 , you achieve a tech (let’s say ‘Heavy Bombers’ for example)‘’

What happens with the Research token on Turn3 ? May you still roll for Tech turn3, without purchasing new research token(s)???

Lynxes, you seem to know quite a bit here  :wink:
    Care to enlighten us  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

Wow, Lynxes… The shortcut you posted, contains a very good (= long) description of the actual game played at GenCon!!  :-o

Great reading! Will print it & bring ít with me to bed  tonite  :-D :-D

• that was a great post from the swamp!  Thanks!

• @Perry:

What happens with the Research token on Turn3 ? May you still roll for Tech turn3, without purchasing new research token(s)???

You lose all research tokens once you successfully research something.

• Does the <broken>tech rule of instant tech get fixed in AA41/42?

In other words, will the LHTR tech rule apply (tech becomes active at the end of your turn).?</broken>

• After reviewing my information on the Italian Navy, if might be adviseable to allow Italian combat ships to transport one infantry each.  The Italians used destroyers and cruisers quite heavily to transport infantry troops to North Africa.  Only the troops were carried, their heavy weapons, artillery, and other equipment was shipped separately.

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

Does the <broken>tech rule of instant tech get fixed in AA41/42?

In other words, will the LHTR tech rule apply (tech becomes active at the end of your turn).?</broken>

No.  The Weapons Development rules are similar to the scheme in 2nd Edition.  The development you get is random, and it takes effect immediately.

• '10

I have a question about tanks.

Do the defend on 3 or less?

• Official Q&A

@marechallannes:

I have a question about tanks.

Do the defend on 3 or less?

Yes.

• '10

What kind of combinations of land units I’ll able to load on my transports?

• Official Q&A

@marechallannes:

What kind of combinations of land units I’ll able to load on my transports?

Same as in Revised - one infantry plus one other land unit.

• '10

I get this from the fact sheet:

• The submarine now costs 6 and has 2/1 combat stats. Submarines can no longer be attacked by aircraft unless there is also an attacking destroyer in that same zone.

I’ve got a few questions to this rule:

I can attack a submarine with other naval units … for example with a carrier or a sub.
    If i go with one cruiser, one carrier and two planes into a hostile seazone with two enemy subs and follow this rule… Then I could attack only with my two ships?

How can my carrier detect a sub in the same battle and the fighters can’t?

The correct rule should be:
    Submarines can no longer be attacked by aircraft unless there is also a naval vessel or allied naval vessel in that same zone.

This detection rule is not necessary. Destroyers block the deadly-first-shot and prevent the submerge of enemy subs

• Official Q&A

It’s not really about “detection” of subs, per se.  This rule is simply an abstraction representing the fact that subs are hard to combat without ships designed for that purpose (destroyers).  It allows subs to survive longer by making them invulnerable to air attacks without destroyer support.

If you really wanted to be “accurate” about anti-sub warfare, you’d need to go to a far more tactical level of combat than this game does.  Cruisers would also have some anti-sub capabilities, and battleships and carriers wouldn’t be able to fight subs at all.  Subs would need to be detected before they could be attacked, and different unit types would need different anti-sub ratings and capabilities.

Rather than bog down the game with this type of system, Larry simply abstracted the concept to make the absence of destroyers in combating subs remove the influence of a powerful class of units on them.  As with any abstraction, different people will have different ideas on how to best represent it.

• '10

Ok.

In fact Larry likes the german wolfrudels.

And I hate it too if the US bomber in the revised edition crosses the atlantic and bomb my lonley sub in the northern atlantic.

Is it possible to attack an enemy sub with two cruisers, or a battleship?

Or will I always need a destroyer to detect them?

• Official Q&A

Only air units require a destroyer to hit subs.  Ships can hit them without destroyers.

• meh i am thinking if u want to do the block technique hello just use dun dun dun dun……so long

detsroyers ok anyways if i had lets say um 70 ipcs to spend id probably buy (not including transports or aircraft carriers)
    1 bship 1 cruiser 2 destroyers and 3 subs this would b my buy if i had enough trans and aircraft carriers whioch i normally do which sometimes is a problem

• @Krieghund:

Only air units require a destroyer to hit subs.  Ships can hit them without destroyers.

eg. 1 Cruiser attacks 1 Sub

1. Does the Sub still get 1st strike?
    2. Is there any mechanism for the Sub to avoid the combat since there is no enemy DD present (eg. diving before the battle in lieu of it’s 1st strike?)
  • Official Q&A

@cousin_joe:

eg. 1 Cruiser attacks 1 Sub

1. Does the Sub still get 1st strike?

Yes.  Only a DD will cancel a sub’s special abilities.  However, submarine first strikes only occur in the first round of combat.  After that, they fire at the same time as all other units.

@cousin_joe:

1. Is there any mechanism for the Sub to avoid the combat since there is no enemy DD present (eg. diving before the battle in lieu of it’s 1st strike?)

Yes, if there is no enemy DD present, a sub may sumerge instead of firing.  This happens at the beginning of each combat round, before any dice are rolled.  The attacker submerges first, then the defender.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m