• ok fine. well get it done soon.

• I have come to call this game “Triple A”

• @Krieghund:

@Imperious:

A51 and A52 is nice and easy to figure out.

No, AA51 and AA52 are confusing.  AA50-41 and AA50-42 are easy to figure out.  These would be much more intuitive to a new player.

Why not just '41 rules or '42 rules? or '41 set-up or '42 set-up?
    or even shorter:
    '41…… '42

I don’t think you need to even mention A&A or 50th anniversary at all.
    Look at Revised:  No one calls it A&A Revised.

Remove the AA50 preface.

AA51 sounds like the Korean war version

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

They do when they’re differentiating it from another game, such as Classic, Europe or Pacific.

• AA41 and AA42 sounds good enough.

• @Krieghund:

@axis_roll:

They do when they’re differentiating it from another game, such as Classic, Europe or Pacific.

They don’t say “A&A Revised”, just “REVISED”

So your list would look like:
    Classic, Europe, Pacific, Revised… and I propose to add '41 and '42

I’m sure the set-up is so different that the resultant game play could be considered a different game between '41 and '42.

• 2007 AAR League

Upon talking about Axis & Allies Revised, I call it either:

‘AAR’  when I post at this site, and feel lazy
    or
    ‘Revised’ when I post at this site, and feel I’ve got loads of time
    or
    ‘Axis and Allies Revised’ when I post at this site, and try to postpone something unpleasant I have to do IRL  :-)
    or
    ‘Axis and Allies’ when I talk to my wife, who got no idea what the hell Axis and Allies, and all its variants and editions is all about anyway  :-D

Likewise, I think of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition, as:

‘AA50’ - quick & easy: when feeling lazy

‘Anniversary edition’ - when I post at this site, and try to postpone something unpleasant I have to do IRL, but it’s a hassle typing it up, not to mention the spelling issue for an illiterate non-native English speaker  :-D

'Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition - for times when I feel I’ve got LOADS of free time, when I have something absolutely unbearable to do IRL (like having to clean out the sink) that I want to postpone  AND when I don’t mind  having aching fingertips after all the goddamn typing!!  Actually, I don’t feel like ever typing it again!  :x           :wink:

‘Axis and Allies’ - I’ll still use the same name for AA50 and AAR (…and AAE, AAP, AAA, BotB and whatever the name of the variant…!) , when speaking to my wife!  :-D :mrgreen:

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

@Krieghund:

@axis_roll:

They don’t say “A&A Revised”, just “REVISED”

So your list would look like:
    Classic, Europe, Pacific, Revised… and I propose to add '41 and '42

Yes, they say “Revised”, but they also say “AAR”, or “AAP” or “AAE”.  The point here is an abbreviation that intuitively evokes the game.

@axis_roll:

I’m sure the set-up is so different that the resultant game play could be considered a different game between '41 and '42.

The only difference between the two scenarios is the set-up and the turn order.  Same map, same rules; same game.  '41 and '42 are simply different scenarios.  There will be a big difference as far as strategy discussions go, but as far as everything else goes, not so much.  How many games with multiple scenarios out there do you see where each scenario is considered to be a different game?

• @Krieghund:

How many games with multiple scenarios out there do you see where each scenario is considered to be a different game?

My point is they are going to be different enough to require a different name, and I just think “AA50-41” is bulky and awkward.  Look at the OOB vs LHTR discussions!

I prefer AA41 and AA42 then if you MUST put “AA” in there somewhere.

• 2007 AAR League

as for the naming of the scenarios, imagine you’re typing up a text:

alternative 1
    “I was playing AA50-41 last nite. Boy, my opponents were total bozos! Took Moscow on I3 (Italy3)!”

alternative 2
    “I was playing AA41 last nite. Boy, my opponents were total bozos! Took Moscow on I3 (Italy3)!”

alternative 3
    “I was playing the AA50, the '41 Scenario last nite. Boy, my opponents were total bozos! Took Moscow on I3 (Italy3)!”

alternative 4
    “I was playing the Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition, the 1941 Scenario last nite. Boy, my opponents were total bozos! Took Moscow on I3 (Italy3)!”

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

@Krieghund:

How many games with multiple scenarios out there do you see where each scenario is considered to be a different game?

My point is they are going to be different enough to require a different name, and I just think “AA50-41” is bulky and awkward.  Look at the OOB vs LHTR discussions!

I prefer AA41 and AA42 then if you MUST put “AA” in there somewhere.

I see your point, but I honestly don’t think it will be that much of an issue.  I doubt people will use “AA50-41” or “AA50-42” as terms that much.  Once it’s been established that you’re talking about AA50, further references will simply be to '41 or '42.

There needs to be an abbreviation for the game as a whole, regardless of scenario, for purposes of rules discussions and the like.  “AA50” fits that bill.  “AA50-41” and “AA50-42” are logical extensions of that abbreviation for the scenarios.  Calling the game itself “AA50”, but the scenarios “AA41” and “AA42” would be confusing to new players, as they may initially think that they are separate games from AA50.

• @Richter:

I have come to call this game “Triple A”

(sorry, but I think this one’s already taken)  :wink:

• '15

What about AAN41 or AN41 - AAN42 AN42 -

• So AA50 really makes no sense to me at all.  The number 50 is referring to the 50th anniversary of “Avalon Hill” and really nothing to do with Axis & Allies. 
    Why not just use AAAE?  That is the actual abbreviation after all.

• AAAE is too close to AAE and noobs get confused

A51 and A52 designate the two scenarios best.

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

AAAE is too close to AAE and noobs get confused

I can’t believe you can make this argument with a straight face.  “AAAE” could not be any more confusing to a “noob” than “A51”, which is abbreviated to the point of losing all meaning.

• @Krieghund:

@Imperious:

AAAE is too close to AAE and noobs get confused

I can’t believe you can make this argument with a straight face.  “AAAE” could not be any more confusing to a “noob” than “A51”, which is abbreviated to the point of losing all meaning.

OK fine once I start drinking I see more A’s then there really are anyway so help me by enabling my addiction.

• ok the agreed (for the most part) is A50

The different scenarios need the minimum characters. Its not good IMO to have it AAAE-1941 or AAAE-42 or variations but rather use the direct signature: A50 and designate A51 ( for A50 1941 scenario) and A52 (for A50 1942 scenario)

Its using the minimal characters to impart the maximum meaning. A50 has a nice ring to it.

• Voicing a big NO!  :-( on the A51 or A52.

Certainly not intuitive. As in what the heck does 51 refer to?

What about ANNI-41 or ANNI-42? Or ANNI41 & ANNI42?

A51 abbreviates it to no meaning. It isn’t an abreviation it is a code. Subtle but important difference.

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

ok the agreed (for the most part) is A50

Actually, AA50 is what’s agreed to (for the most part).  I’m not sure when you dropped the second A (we need to include the Allies, whether you like it or not  :wink:).  Whatever it ends up being (and I’m not sure I really care anymore), it needs to start with “AA”, for consistency’s sake.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m