Ouch! Spain gets toasted on olimpycs basketball!

• 2007 AAR League

@Jermofoot:

Maybe there is a need for divisional games…like leagues based on school size.  Of course, that’s asking for multiple medals for one type sport and way too many events…

You mean like in swimming?  :lol:

That’s the thing about Phelps that kills me. Swimming gives away a whole shit load of medals from underwater basket weaving to best floater but people are fawning over him like it’s a miracle. Unless they’re a swimmer, gymnast, or runner, your average olympian would need 12 years and 4 Olympics just to have the chance to enter the amount of events he did in ONE Olympics. And half of those events would require that they have a partner or be in a team event which increases the chance for a loss.

Not to mention that there are at least a few people who have trained for years to make it to the Olympics but they sat at home because Phelps was hogging up 8 events. I think olympians should be restricted to entering 2 or 3 events. Especially in sports like swimming that gives away about 20 medals every Olympics.

@Jermofoot:

Well, part of it is keeping their rights on the feeds intact, which I understand.  I just don’t know why locally I can’t get to it, and why they just didn’t make it free and take a higher premium on advertising.  It would have worked out, but instead we don’t get to see the Olympics and get pissed off at NBC.

I wouldn’t mind them restricting the streaming feeds if they were airing at least the US team’s events during prime time. But they didn’t. They aired most of the events live which corresponded to off times like from 1 AM to 8 AM and noon to 4 PM. It was all about squeezing the most blood out of the turnip. They got paid from the cable companies and advertisers for the Olympics and made even more money from advertisers because they were still able to air their moneymaking prime time lineups. As long as they can max out their bankroll, why should they care that they made it hard for some Americans to actually see the Olympics?

• USA won the basketball gold medal, but Spain put a serious fight, as I suspected in a final. 11 points is no much, and we could have won! What a great match!  :-) Spain played great, and USA played just a bit better (damned 3 point shots  :-D ). I think the era when USA toasted all the teams is finally ended (and it’s great for this sport). You had the better of you and we had the better of we, and still it was almost balanced.

Congrats for the gold. Next time, maybe we’ll beat you  :-)

• @U-505:

You mean like in swimming?  :lol:

That’s the thing about Phelps that kills me. Swimming gives away a whole sh*t load of medals from underwater basket weaving to best floater but people are fawning over him like it’s a miracle. Unless they’re a swimmer, gymnast, or runner, your average olympian would need 12 years and 4 Olympics just to have the chance to enter the amount of events he did in ONE Olympics. And half of those events would require that they have a partner or be in a team event which increases the chance for a loss.

Not to mention that there are at least a few people who have trained for years to make it to the Olympics but they sat at home because Phelps was hogging up 8 events. I think olympians should be restricted to entering 2 or 3 events. Especially in sports like swimming that gives away about 20 medals every Olympics.

Ya know, I really get tired of seeing the same events over and over.  A good routine or run is enjoyable, but I want to see some other events.  I don’t know if they intend to keep a “classical” feel to the Olympics, but I think it’s a shame some sports are included and some aren’t, but know that based on world popularity.  I did get to see a handstand dive which was pretty cool in the overplayed events category.

That limit on entering events is probably a good idea, but I bet it would have very little effect overall. I doubt there are more than a handful of people, and probably only from larger countries, that it could apply to.  But it also might mean limiting a country’s ability to win medals.  So I dunno.

I wouldn’t mind them restricting the streaming feeds if they were airing at least the US team’s events during prime time. But they didn’t. They aired most of the events live which corresponded to off times like from 1 AM to 8 AM and noon to 4 PM. It was all about squeezing the most blood out of the turnip. They got paid from the cable companies and advertisers for the Olympics and made even more money from advertisers because they were still able to air their moneymaking prime time lineups. As long as they can max out their bankroll, why should they care that they made it hard for some Americans to actually see the Olympics?

Is there anything currently showing new episodes on prime time?  I thought that wouldn’t be happening for a month or so.

It’s kind of a damned no matter what you do.  If there wasn’t an option to see things live, people would complain about missing events and having to read about them the next day.  I think that was an issue with basketball a few Olympics ago.  When the US had seen it’s first defeat in sometime (and after they were allowed to use professional bball players - which other countries could before us), NBC decided to make one of the games live because there was a backlash.  And I would think that TiVo and the like can assist those that really can’t see the live events.  But anyway, they have enough freaking channels in their network that they could dedicate more time.  I’m sure we’ll see some review soon.

@Funcioneta:

USA won the basketball gold medal, but Spain put a serious fight, as I suspected in a final. 11 points is no much, and we could have won! What a great match!  :-) Spain played great, and USA played just a bit better (damned 3 point shots  :-D ). I think the era when USA toasted all the teams is finally ended (and it’s great for this sport). You had the better of you and we had the better of we, and still it was almost balanced.

Congrats for the gold. Next time, maybe we’ll beat you  :-)

There was plenty of talent on both sides.  And I think the allowance of US pro athletes has really increased interest in the game of basketball.  I would not be surprised in the future if we saw an international league, or more US players going abroad to play.

• 2007 AAR League

@Jermofoot:

That limit on entering events is probably a good idea, but I bet it would have very little effect overall. I doubt there are more than a handful of people, and probably only from larger countries, that it could apply to.  But it also might mean limiting a country’s ability to win medals.  So I dunno.

Of course it would only have a small effect, but it would give a chance to a few more people who have spent their entire young lives training for a moment that only comes every 4 years.

Is there anything currently showing new episodes on prime time?  I thought that wouldn’t be happening for a month or so.

You could be right. I don’t watch the local networks’ prime time lineups. But I assumed that things were different this year because of the writers strike and also because I watch Monk and Psych on USA Network and they have been airing new episodes for over a month now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m