• Official Q&A

@timerover51:

Also, if you do not capture the Philippines in the first turn or two, the US can start staging bombers in through Guam and Wake, assuming that is not taken, and give you massive headaches very fast.

If you don’t take the Philippines on turn one, the game is over.  If you don’t take it, the US can build an IC there, at which point Japan is toast.  Japan can’t afford to take it, because of the nearly immediate exposure to Allied bombing.  Japan can’t afford to not take it, because it’s a 3-point IC in its backyard.  Game over.

• If the US builds an IC in Phillipines during US1, Japan can still take it in Jap2, right?  I still think the Japs need to use Jap1 to the maximum extent possible.  Capturing the Phillipines in turn 1 seems a must move.

Regarding the strategy you outlined, I think you have to remember that after turn 1, Japans losses are going to rise alarmingly high.  The US can replace their losses very quickly.  Japan can not.  Assuming the US and Brits are going to seek battle whenever they can keep the losses close for each side, you can’t help them as Japan by doing the same when it is your turn to attack.  I believe you need to seek opportunities to attack the US and UK where you are going to eliminate them in the first round of dice by picking targets carefully and adding enough air power to make it a one round show.  The US and to a lesser extent the Brits can afford to trade you down.  The only problem for the Americans is they have to cross half the ocean before they are eating your income.

• Official Q&A

@dinosaur:

If the US builds an IC in Phillipines during US1, Japan can still take it in Jap2, right?

Yes, but the IPC and VP drain from the Allied bombings of it will make the game unwinnable for Japan.

• As Japan what nation should you go after first?

LT

• @LT04:

As Japan what nation should you go after first?

LT

India is the easiest target.

• SS,

As Japan do you try any stall America First tactic?  (Japan’s first turn excluded.)

LT

• With the corrected setup, the stall America strategy is more difficult because you aren’t able to move a sub to block the US move to sz14.

Generally, my Japanese tactic to delay the Allied advance into the Central Pacific is to commit a large force to sz28 and then to have large numbers of subs to slow down the advance later in the game.  Finally, committing the entire IJN to sz38 with CAP fighters from the Philippines late in the game usually allows Japan to hold on for the VP victory.

SS

• SS,

Thank you for all the insight +1 for ya.

I have one other question.  What nation do you prefer to play in AAP?

LT

• I think I prefer to play Allies and if I have to choose among the Allies, I would prefer to play the US.

SS

• I’ve been playing pacific for about 3 years,a my first stratagies were too take India for the Japs to win and and to take Hawaii for a good offensive base for my attacks on the Dutch East Indies and Austrailia.It was a great stratagy till my friends and I figured out SBR’s and after that you Bombed pearl then ran away from there as soon as possible.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m