Checklists for Dummies (AARHE 4.0)

• During Combat Movement I’m having some difficulties understanding and integrating “Atomic Weaponry” into the flow.

Still need to work pg 2/2 of Combat Movement:

Amphibious Assaults

• Designate BB/DD/CA used for amphibious assaults
    • Land Units and AP limits

Defender Allocation of Air Units

• In country deployed vs. SBR or local defense
    • DAS out if not attacked by airpower
    • Adjacent countries may DAS in to support

Terrain integration into Land & Naval Movement

• Staits, Canals, & Waterways
    • Terrain (e.g., Desert, Snowy, Mountainous, Small (Gibraltar))
    • Amphibious Assaults subject to VC/ID (e.g., Acquisition and Roll just like Air)

Off to bed for now!

• Each purchasable die costs 5 IPC.
    Nation Free Dice Purchasable
    Germany 2 4
    Italy (optional) 1 2
    Japan 1 3
    Soviet Union 1 3
    United Kingdom 1 2
    United States 2 4

these are the correct tech rolls. your other list left out Italy.

• Here is page 1 version 1 of the flow chart for diplomacy. It will end up two pages.  BW - this is a lot harder than it looks :-)

Here are the fine points to discuss after you look at the chart.  Please advise to any format changes or BW can take it from here to revise for consistancy.

Rules for discussion:

1.  If neutral territory and units go to Team “B” if attacked by “A", does  “B” replace the units with his own and conducts the battle?
    2.  If Germany hits on both dice – does it get 2 moves?  I don’t think it should as this could move neutrals to one side very quickly
    3.  Several posts have been written re: can player with 2 rolls target 2 different neutrals.  Last discussion was a no.  What is final answer?

Bierwagan:  Should the flow of attacking neutrals go on your combat chart or the diplomacy chart.  It is discussed under diplomacy in AAHRE 4.0

Aughhhhh!  it won’t let me upload PTT files.

diplomacy 7-31-08.pdf

• @oldsalty:

Here is page 1 version 1 of the flow chart for diplomacy. It will end up two pages.  BW - this is a lot harder than it looks :-)

Sweet!  We’re cooking with phar now!

Rules for discussion:

1.  If neutral territory and units go to Team “B” if attacked by “A", does  “B” replace the units with his own and conducts the battle?

I understood this to be a yes.  The forces convert to the closest capital immediately.

2.  If Germany hits on both dice – does it get 2 moves?  I don’t think it should as this could move neutrals to one side very quickly

I thought a country can only influence a neutral 1 box per turn no matter how many rolls it gets.  However, both Japan and Germany (assuming they both are in the “Sphere of Influence” via conquered adjacent countries or default) could use their rolls and with luck move it 2 boxes.  The allies likewise with 3 boxes.

I still need a conclusion for say Western Europe.  If it is invaded by a combined force of US/UK and both have forces remaining – can both now roll on Spain, or only the person who raised the flag?

3.  Several posts have been written re: can player with 2 rolls target 2 different neutrals.  Last discussion was a no.  What is final answer?

I thought you could divide your dice up as long as you announce it first.  This is how we’ve been playing it.  However, I went back and read the thread, and you’re right.  There doesn’t appear to be a definitive decision on this.  Only a reference from Tekkyy saying something about a new set of rules.

Perhaps we should open Pandora’s box and discuss options to buy more dice or modifiers.

Bierwagan:  Should the flow of attacking neutrals go on your combat chart or the diplomacy chart.  It is discussed under diplomacy in AAHRE 4.0

Good question.  Probably should be in Combat Movement.  Once you set foot in the territory, your intentions are revealed and units pop up and are converted for use in Combat Operations.

Will definitely have to link or reference “Move Nation Marker”.

Nice work.  I like the “Sphere of Influence” chart.

Question:  Can US influence Mongolia?  Should the specific countries be listed in the chart to avoid confusion?

• Bierwagen

• Also of note in the “Diplomacy” turn, if your capital is under enemy control “Diplomacy” is skipped (pg 3. under “Turn Sequence”).

Hrmm.  I don’t know how messy this will get, but do we want to provide easy references to page numbers on the charts?

I guess this is really implied in the decision box of “Conduct Diplomacy Rolls” – I can’t think of another reason that I wouldn’t roll.

Just might want to make it “Idiot-Proof” and spell it out.

• Question:  Can US influence Mongolia?  Should the specific countries be listed in the chart to avoid confusion?

no only Soviet player or Japanese player can do that.

• Also of note in the “Diplomacy” turn, if your capital is under enemy control “Diplomacy” is skipped (pg 3. under “Turn Sequence”).

Hrmm.  I don’t know how messy this will get, but do we want to provide easy references to page numbers on the charts?

I guess this is really implied in the decision box of “Conduct Diplomacy Rolls” – I can’t think of another reason that I wouldn’t roll.

If you do not control your capital, you cant roll for tech or diplomacy until recaptured.

• I like the look of OldSalty’s graphics, so I revamped Part I of Combat Movement.

This only covers Land and Air movement – working on Naval Movement now.

AAHRE 4 0 Combat Movement Land & Air Diagram v1.png

• ok great! im still checking stuff over. lets try to make the colors the same or present a similar presentation so they are uniform in all charts.

• Will do, I’m in the process of switching over to OldSalty’s format.  It’s clean.

• Also of note in the “Diplomacy” turn, if your capital is under enemy control “Diplomacy” is skipped (pg 3. under “Turn Sequence”). I guess this is really implied in the decision box of “Conduct Diplomacy Rolls” – I can’t think of another reason that I wouldn’t roll.

good idea.  I’ll update the chart.

Also like your idea of page numbers.  By the time we are done, there is going to be a number of pages that might need an index???  The page numbers should be the same graphic and placement each page.  May I suggest that once we are done, one person collects all PPT and uses the master set up for page numbers, any background images, anything else that needs to be consistent.

• yes lets just get the various categories completed and we will catalog them into the latest manual, and fix some of the text as issues arise.

• @oldsalty:

May I suggest that once we are done, one person collects all PPT and uses the master set up for page numbers, any background images, anything else that needs to be consistent.

Absolutely!

I haven’t had much luck trying to integrate rule reference page numbers into the flow diagrams though.  Makes it kinda messy.  But it would be nice to have a quick reference or index to the rules for further clarification.

• Combat Movement - Naval (2/2)

…a stab at Naval Movement.

Note:  I tried to integrate page references - let me know if this is worth continuing.

AAHRE 4 0 Combat Movement Naval Diagram v2.png

• no i would leave them off, because we may need to add some text for clarifications and this may place new page numbers on individual sections and we don’t need to change your charts when we do this.

• Then use the section number.  I don’t see that changing without a major rewrite.  BW:  We may need to reference our sections by i.e. 8.0 8.1 8.2 etc.  then reference those.

its going to be very handy for example if i have to reference (in Diplomacy 8.0) the section of attacking neutrals which you are putting in  the combat section.  It will be much much easirer for someone reading the charts to have a reference than trying to find it on their own.

Look at it this way.  If those of you more experienced in the AARHE rules are generating the depates and Qs, think of the complexity a newer player will face.

• yes thats important point… its a checklist for dummys…so noobs need to have it presented as easy as possible. When they get their feet wet they can use it to train others using these materials.

• Pls read entire post as Im trying to clear several points for the charts.

Here is final draft of Section 8.0 Diplomacy.  BW:  I put the LOC chart on page two so there is more room on page one if you want to actually list the neutrals individually under Spere of Influence.

Please check carefully as I’ve interpreted the numerous posts re: LOC (Level of Cooperation) at or above +/- 3 as “neutral is no longer considered neutral” as they are committed to controlling player.  Not much different as UK’s colonys.

1.  Opposing player can no longer roll counter diplomacy rolls
    2.  Controlling player gets IPC and level benefits
    3.  Opposing player can now attack nuetral and if succeeds, gets IPC.  If occupied, territory is treated as ony other player’s territory.

question:  if conquered territory is liberated, does it go back to player that originaslly had diplomatic control or liberating player.  If liberating player, is it treated as full territory?

I think this section can be more easily understood and the intent achieved if we treat any +/- 3 or higher as a colony of controlling country.  If they get IPC then then the neutral should no longer be concidered neutral as they have committed to that nation.  If an opposing player conquers and occupys that “colony” then they should get all benefits of a full occupation:

1.  Colony is no longer a colony, as it was militarily captured, but a territory of the conquering nation. 
    2.  Conquering nation now gets ipcs and the territory is treated as any other territory.  I can’t logically see an occupied country still sending all their resources to another country that only controlled them diplomatically, or only acting as a +/- 5 neutral as a now militarily occupied country.  (I know the underground was good, but it cant be that good)

3.  This is where I get stuck.  If the country is liberated: say UK had Turkey as a +3 cooperation and were getting benefits and IPC.  Then Germany attacks Turkey, Turkey would go to +5 for UK, UK would get its units and battle Germany.  Germany wins and occupies Turkey.  Turkey is now full territory for germany.

a.  Now, US liberates Turkey from Germany:  who has control or does Turkey go back to neutral?
      b.  UK liberates Turkey from germany.  As turkey was a +5 for UK before German occupation, does it go back to +5 for UK? 
      c.  Based on rules of occupation for US and UK, they can never fully conquer a neutral country.  So, IMO Turkey would convert to a +5 for either US or UK.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this section has become one of the more complicated when we look at all the nuances.

diplomacy 7-31-08.pdf

• Updated flow chart with the statement that diplomacy rolls can not be taken if player’s capital is occupied by unfriendly player

diplomacy 8-1-08 draft 2.pdf

• Question on the territories.  Where does Europe end?

Is Turkey in Europe?  Saudi Arabia?

I still consider myself a noob at this game.  I haven’t been around listening in on all the discussions for the last two years, so I don’t have much reachback to the touchstone of intent.

I think the specific countries should be spelled out.

Russia can influence:
    Afghanistan
    Mongolia
    Turkey

Germany can influence:
    Spain
    Sweden
    Turkey
    Switzerland

UK can influence:
    Afghanistan
    Eire
    Saudi Arabia
    Spain (via Rio De Oro)
    Turkey

Japan:
    Mongolia

US
    Argentina
    Mongolia
    Peru
    Venezuela

Plus, anyone can influence anyone they touch through conquest.

For simplicity, I like the idea of not being able to attack until it is at +3.  Once, a country becomes a sympathizer you need to be able to cut that off at the quick.

If we don’t do this, then it will be a mad scramble for Neutrals on T1.  As US I’d invade S. America for the extra income.  UK Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, etc.  It would just be ugly.

Perhaps something akin to “The War Game” where if you attack before it is at +/-5 they get additional random forces:

d1:  INF
    d2:  2 * INF
    d3:  INF + ARM
    etc…

Grasping at straws.  What a quagmire!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m