• Lots of plans have been put foward. A single, giant, memorial. Rebuilding the towers as they were. Half and Half, ect.

How about we create a living memorial. NYC firefighters make only about 30,000 dollars a year. New York is an expensive place to live, you cannot live on 30,000 dollars a year outside the Bronx slums.

Lets build housing for Firefighters on the WTC site. Something to just say, thanks. Free housing for firefighters and their families will drastically improve the lives of people who risk their lives daily for minimal money.

• i dont live in nyc but that sounds better than buildin a memorial.

• Or we could just raise the salary.

• One tower twice as tall is the originals (the top floors serving as a silent memorial). America doesn’t bow down to terrorist.

• Way to be Moses. I appreciate Fire Fighters as much as the next, my brother is a fire fighter. I understand that it would be nice to have free housing for fire fighters, but that sounds awfully like welfare to me.

• Look, I live in New Jersey. Just outside New York City. It costs 12$ for a Movie ticket in NJ. My Godfather has a 4 Room apartment which costs more in rent per month than my house’s Morgage, tax, and insurance.

Thats no way to raise a family. Most Firefighers have to work a second job just to survive. We don’t have the money to pay them more, it would take another 15,000 dollars at least to get income up to survivable levels. Creating free housing for Firemen is a living Memorial, not just a piece of stone with names on it. Its a tribute to people who risk their lives for us. When people were running out of the WTC in a frenzy, it was the Firefighters rushing in.

How about making a giant Apartment building, with enough room to fit 2,000 families.

Its not Welfare. Its rewarding bravery.

• Just because you proclaim it to be free does not make it so. Everything that is ‘free’ was paid for by someone. Instead of raising taxes to increase the salary of a firefighter, you are raising taxes to pay for the firefighters living space. Why not skip the middle man and give the money to the firefighters and let them decide how to use it.

• Because it would cost more to raise a Fire Fighter’s Salery to a liveable rate. And I am confident that we could raise almost all of the money through private donation.

• private donations i dont care about. I thought the money would come from taxes.

• You could easily raise twice the money needed to build this, tax free. Upkeep and management would come out of taxes, but these fees would be very small.

• Your heart is in the right place Yanni, except for a few things.

Firefighters weren’t the only people rushing into the towers, there were also policemen, soldiers, paramedics, and even ordinary citizens. Do you plan on offering them all free housing too? I’m sure many of them don’t make enough money either, but free-housing isn’t the way to go. :(

• Firefighters are paid a lot less than Policemen. And Firefighters work 24 hour shifts in New York every third day, no sleep.

You know, you COULD provide free housing for pretty much everyone. I’m sure you could build a tower huge enough for what, 5,000 apartments? Now THATS a memorial.

• I’m sure you could build a tower huge enough for what, 5,000 apartments?

Probably more than that.

• Your hearts are all in the right place, but remember, this is prime commercial property. I see no residential building there…

• The World Trade Center was primarily (along with other companies which have since relocated), home of the New York/New Jersey Port Authority. That can be easily relocated to sites in New Jersey where there is more room (Plenty of room in Jersey City and Newark).

Most of the Southern Island is filled with small shops and businesses, many with homes on the second floor. My Godfather lives in the area.

I’ve sent a copy of my idea to news agencies, my Congresswomen, and some local politicians in my area. If you like the idea, I suggest you do too.

• Agreed. I grew up in New Jersey, Woodbridge Township near Staten Island. I’m with you…

• Sorry! It’ll never happen. Not with a Liberal Repubican Mayor (who said the firefighters would get no new equipment to replace the lost fire engines) … not with any current politician. The TAX LOSS would be too great. Think what NYC has already lost financially. Or has it really gained? Where do we find out the income for NYC for Jan. to June 2002 to compare to Jan. to June 2001?

The firefighters chose their profession knowing what they would earn the first few years and probably able to get an idea from OTJ firefighters.

THANK YOU NEW JERSEY! … for listening to an upstart Republican who pointed out RETIRING Sen. Torricelli’s political improprieties. Torricelli has said he will drop out of the race if a suitable replacement can be found. However, the Republicans will follow the law and not allow a replacement on the ballot. Torricelli said he helped the people(by taking bribes and only the briber went to prison.) He asked what happened to the forgiveness in America (HE is the VICTIM!) But he said he would not be the reason the Democrats would lose control of the House of Representatives. Down 14% in the polls he is surrendering. But the story ain’t over yet.- Xi

• Jersey Update:
    Dems have filed with the Jersey Supreme Court (which had a liberal judge added last week to make it a liberal majority) to have a replacement allowed (on the ballot for exiting Toricelli) outside the boundaries set by Jersey law. The Reps have vowed to fight it.
    Odd that the Dems didn’t take the moral high road and have the Torch step down. Isn’t the Governor a Dem who could have appointed a Dem to fill the post until the term was up. Toricelli could honor a promise to serve out the term, let the people vote for him to get a Dem in office, and step down after the election. Oh, I’m sorry! I cannot believe I used the words Torricelli and honor in the same sentence. I apologize! - Xi

• Although I don’t agree with changing the ballot (will cost our state a lot of money), I must remind you that the Republicans did the same thing in 2000 in the Gov. Race.

• In Joisey? Do tell! How come there was no Dem outcry? Wait! I know there are certain limits, like so many days before an election except in case of death …kinda like the Missouri biatch Senator who took her dead hubby’s seat, without argument by John Ashcroft. Then she stabs him in the back at his USAG confirmation hearings.
    a lil off subject, but TRUE. - Xi

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m