• Seems like the place to talk about what was said by the German Justice Minister. Questions or comments?

• Let me guess, did he call Bush the “Great Satan” again? Wait… that’s Iraq… :roll:

• bah… that’s not exactly what justice minister Herta Daeubler Gmelin said, but yes, she said Bush was using a method used by people like Hitler, that’s not false. That is not dramatic, i even find Shroeder excuse a little exagerated, but he don’t want to loose credit for what his minister said and i can understand (i wish he won’t loose credit for that).

She said;

“The (United States) has a lousy legal system,”

and

“Bush wants to distract attention from his domestic problems. This is a popular method. Hitler also used it.”

She later said; “I did not equate Bush with Hitler.”

She add also that if the current American laws for insider trading had been the same as they are now when Bush was working in the oil sector “Bush would be sitting in prison now”

• Germany’s in NO position to criticize other countries!
    I’m sorry, but that’s just my personal opinion.

• bah… that’s not exactly what justice minister Herta Daeubler Gmelin said, but yes, she said Bush was using a method used by people like Hitler, that’s not false. That is not dramatic, i even find Shroeder excuse a little exagerated, but he don’t want to loose credit for what his minister said and i can understand (i wish he won’t loose credit for that).
    She said;
    “The (United States) has a lousy legal system,”
    and
    “Bush wants to distract attention from his domestic problems. This is a popular method. Hitler also used it.”
    She later said; “I did not equate Bush with Hitler.”
    She add also that if the current American laws for insider trading had been the same as they are now when Bush was working in the oil sector “Bush would be sitting in prison now”

Ha, that’s it? :-? Somehow I expected a lot worse. Don’t really get the inside trader comment, since Bush is the president right now –- so anyways, better luck next time.

• Wow, looking at the title I thought this thread was a place to discuss Euro-Sex. :D

• It’s funny, but D:S struck a chord with me. Shroeder has also been trying to make political points by his attitude towards America - refusing Bush’s phone calls, calling American military posturing an “adventure”, and playing the “we don’t have to do what America does anymore” song. It’s funny - the Canadian media referred to this as reflective of a deep vein of German pacifism.

• There are only 2 problems with the American Legal System. 1, Time. It takes way to long to get you to trial than it should, the Constitution says I have a right to a fair and speedy trial. Second, Money = Innocent. Examples, Puff Daddy, OJ, Enron.

• I don’t expect that to change very soon (or if all).

• Second, Money = Innocent. Examples, Puff Daddy, OJ, Enron.

A basic problem of capitalism. more money = more Power, more liberty, it even help you get a better education, a soft justice, a better helthcare in some country…

• @Fin:

… i even find Shroeder excuse a little exagerated, but he don’t want to loose credit for what his minister said and i can understand (i wish he won’t loose credit for that).

Justice Minister Herta Daeubler Gmelin stated, “Bush wants to distract attention from his domestic problems. This is a popular method. Hitler also used it.” She later said; "I did not equate Bush with Hitler."She add also that if the current American laws for insider trading had been the same as they are now when Bush was working in the oil sector “Bush would be sitting in prison now”

Oh, like Justice Minister Herta Daeubler Gmelin of Germany would know.
    HAH!

Many politicians have done some of the same things Adolf did … both good and bad. La de da. Blah blah blah.

Please, rephase the Shroeder comments. I am unclear as to what you mean. Did you mean he wanted some distance, but still wanted the credit.

I find Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder is playing the game, too. I think someone mentioned that he was behind in the polls a while back due to Volkes remembering that he promised to reduce the unemployment, but had not. So to change the focus from internal to foreign he Bush bashes … many struggling-to-maintain-power European politicians have done this. It’s called showing independence. Hmm, seems he’s not being very EU minded, since most EU leaders are now supportive of action via the UN regarding Iraq. :P

Don’t bother with Herta. She’s a small lemming in a big herd. - Xi

“When dealing with Canadians, it is advantageous to seem
    to be negotiating from a position of weakness, for when
    faced with an abject opponent, they become concession-happy
    and will accede to almost anything.”

• Alleyne Fitzherbert, British Diplomat

Whoa! Dat’s RUDE. and I disagree. - Xi

• OJ was innocent!

If the glove don’t fit, you must acquit! - JC

• If the glove don’t fit, you must acquit! - JC

Always a classic. :D

Bush wants to distract attention from his domestic problems. This is a popular method. Hitler also used it

Ha, anybody remember Bill Clinton and Wag the Dog?

“Does the dog wag the tail, or does the tail wag the dog?”

• Man, the dog really ached after 8 years of waggin’! - Xi
    –----------------------------------------------------------------
    “Man made one grave mistake: in answer to vaguely reformist and
    humanitarian agitation he admitted women to politics and the pro-
    fessions. The conservatives who saw this as the undermining of our
    civilization and the end of the state and marriage were right after
    all; it is time for the demolition to begin.”

• Germaine Greer, Australian writer.
      “Revolution,” The Female Eunuch (1970)

Yeah, and she’s already begun as the junior senator from NY. - Xi

• @cystic:

It’s funny, but D:S struck a chord with me. Shroeder has also been trying to make political points by his attitude towards America - refusing Bush’s phone calls, calling American military posturing an “adventure”, and playing the “we don’t have to do what America does anymore” song. It’s funny - the Canadian media referred to this as reflective of a deep vein of German pacifism.

Hmm, i heard that Bush was not reading letters from Schröder etc. Seems like who was the “i don’t listen to you” is on both sides.
    And i can remember a time (after the german reunification) that the US and NATO said it would be time for Germany to take up “more responsibility”. Now, as we show some national self-consiousness, that’s not right either……
    And i would call it pacifism, even though it changed from the “no war with german soliders” towards “no war with german soldiers unless there’s no doubt behind the justification for that war”. Even Tony Blair admitted that Germany “asked questions that have to asked”. And even the former candidate for chancellor, the conservative Stoiber wouldn’t have allowed the US to use their bases in Germany for an aggressive strike against the Iraq, as that would violate our constitution.

• I heard a boycott of German goods recommended on Friday(beer a suggestion) if Herta wasn’t fired. Then over the weekend Schroeder cans her.
    No surety, but, hmm. how 'bout dat? - Xi

Oh, the boycott is still on. Too bad I don’t drink German beer. Actually, I guess I’ll have to find a German product and join the cott. Pizza, yeah! Oh, wait, Germans invented it, but Italians took over. Think … think. Volkswagen … No, don’t like 'em. Brats and metts, yeah, wait! German food made in America by Americans(NOT German-Americans).
    DAMN! This is gonna take a trip to the store. - Xi

“If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work.
    Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.” - Anonymous

Who? Me? - Xi

• Well, at least I’m happy. The “reformed” communist managed to win two seats. Boo-yah! 8)

Oh, the boycott is still on. Too bad I don’t drink German beer. Actually, I guess I’ll have to find a German product and join the cott. Pizza, yeah! Oh, wait, Germans invented it, but Italians took over. Think … think. Volkswagen … No, don’t like 'em. Brats and metts, yeah, wait! German food made in America by Americans(NOT German-Americans).

IMO, I find European food pretty bland - a frequent complaint of those I know that travel there.

• Euro Food is Bad?!?!?!!? /me slaps Moses with a large peice of Chicken Francese! French food is good Italian food is GOD! some German Snacks are good and british food, well lets kepp british food out of the equation. Greek food is Good aswell as Spanish.

• Yeah, T_6,

to all Italics :P -
    for the tomato … you are welcome,

to all Frenchics :) -
    for the grapevines … you are welcome,

to all Germanics :ssemiiglhieeisl) -
    for the opportunity to be independent … you are welcome.
    Oh, and that goes for you, too, Frenchics. :wink: - Xi

“Lack of will power has caused more failure than
    lack of intelligence or ability.” - Flower A. Newhouse

I can agree with that. - Xi

• Euro Food is Bad?!?!?!!? /me slaps Moses with a large peice of Chicken Francese! French food is good Italian food is GOD! some German Snacks are good and british food, well lets kepp british food out of the equation. Greek food is Good aswell as Spanish.

Italian food is okkkayyyyyy… French food is sooo-soooo… German food is mediocre… British food, not so good… Never had Greek Food… Spanish food is not as good as Latin food… :-?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m