• I understand WOTC will have a demo table set up for AAM at Historicon 2008 in a few days. I’ll be sure to stop by and hope to run in to some other AAM players there.

• '19 Moderator

Lancaster is a bit too far for me, have fun…

• Its a nine hour drive for me.  I might be able to plan it for next year and go for the four days.  Nothing like a road trip.

We’ll look for the reports.

• Whats Historicon?

• '19 Moderator

Google man, Google!

• I am back from my first Historicon experience and must admit I had more fun playing at the Axis & Allies Miniatures than I did at any of the huge, 8 player and up, historical games.

My brother ran me through a short Flames of War demo and it was OK. But the funny thing was … we showed back up to the WOTC table on Saturday night with an ammo can of cold beers and played a 300 point Eastern Front late war game with 4 players on the cool map Steve (WOTC Staff) brought.

The only frustrating thing to me was that many of the attendees of the WOTC table were kids dropped off by their dads on the way to some other big table game. This left Steve having to demo the game to a bunch of kids who were primarily interested in the free give-aways. Don’t get me wrong, Steve did a great job with them. It’s just a shame that the table wasn’t equally attended by gaming adults.

• @Cobalt:

I am back from my first Historicon experience and must admit I had more fun playing at the Axis & Allies Miniatures than I did at any of the huge, 8 player and up, historical games.

My brother ran me through a short Flames of War demo and it was OK. But the funny thing was … we showed back up to the WOTC table on Saturday night with an ammo can of cold beers and played a 300 point Eastern Front late war game with 4 players on the cool map Steve (WOTC Staff) brought.

The only frustrating thing to me was that many of the attendees of the WOTC table were kids dropped off by their dads on the way to some other big table game. This left Steve having to demo the game to a bunch of kids who were primarily interested in the free give-aways. Don’t get me wrong, Steve did a great job with them. It’s just a shame that the table wasn’t equally attended by gaming adults.

I’ll have to attend next year… what kind of give-awys did they have?  Any cool scenarios?

• @Half-Track:

I’ll have to attend next year… what kind of give-awys did they have?  Any cool scenarios?

It may not be worth the trip depending on how far you have to drive. There were no formal AAM events, tournaments or scenarios. Just a lone WOTC table out in the open lobby with one guy running demo games for kids mostly. He did hand out alot of booster packs for anyone that played games.

I may consider running an AMM table with pre-set historical scenarios next year. We’ll have to see how the game does with the new releases …

• For three days of gaming I’d be very tempted to make the nine hour trek.

We need to convince WotC to make it worth our while to come in and support the cause.  If Steve had four to six extra adults gaming all sorts of AAM scenarios he could open a big booth beside the main stage.

On 23 August in Peterborough Ontario there is a Militaria sale (badges books etc) and I’m setting up my model of the Moro River (see links to 3Dbattle space somewhere below) and playing for the day.  It might generate some business for the local store and help me find some more local players.

• Yes a lot of the big games at Historicon were run by goofballs. Late starts, let more people play than were signed up, and other “gamemaster” antics diminshed the enjoyment of more than one game for me. I still enjoyed myself though and hope to repeat next summer.

Steve needed more help at A&AM station. Cobalt at least helped a good bit with managing the younger players at various periods through the days. WOTC should seek volunteers on this forum to help run games.

I would suggest that WOTC also set up a mini-tournament at Historicon next year where folks would play at leats three games with different gamers. Maybe on Thursday or Friday, and then run demos on Saturday and Sunday.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m