• I found this on another forum.  I don’t know if they are corect but it is interesting.  Enjoy.

LT

1. The first German serviceman killed in World War II was killed by the Japanese (China, 1937), the first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians (Finland 1940), the highest-ranking American killed was Lt. Gen. Lesley McNair, killed by the U.S. Army Air Corps – so much for allies.

2. The youngest U.S. serviceman was 12-year-old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. (His benefits were later restored by act of Congress).

3. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top U.S. Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced “sink us”), the shoulder patch of the U.S. Army’s 45th Infantry Division was the Swastika, and Hitler’s private train was named “Amerika.” All three names were soon changed for PR purposes.

4. More U.S. servicemen died in the U.S. Army Air Corps than in the Marine Corps. While completing the required 25 missions your chance of being killed was 71 percent.

5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an average fighter pilot. You were either an ace or a target. For instance, Japanese ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes. He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.

6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5th round with a tracer round to aid in aiming. This was a mistake. Tracers had different ballistics so at long range if your tracers were hitting the target 80 percent of your rounds were missing. Worse yet, tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.

7. When the allied armies reached the Rhine River in Germany, the first thing men did was pee in it. This was pretty universal, from the lowest private to Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen. George Patton (who had himself photographed in the act).

8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City, but it wasn’t worth the effort .

9. The German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

10. Among the first “Germans” captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and then forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and further forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the U.S. Army.

11. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 U.S. and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands. Twenty-one troops were killed in the firefight. It would have been worse if there had been any Japanese soldiers on the island.

• Very interesting.  The only one I knew of for sure was #10.

• I looked up a few of them to confirm and this is what I found:

2 True

3 True

9 False: The U-boat did sink due to mechanical pumping problems as did another U-boat but a toliet was not the reason just a side-effect.

I would love to know if 10 was true.  It would suck to be a soldier in that situation.

LT

• I read about #10 in Ambrose’s “D-Day”…I think.  It might have been “The Longest Day” by Cornelius Ryan.

Either way, both good reads.

• I read D-Day but it felt like I was drinking off of a fire hose with all that information thrown at me.  But I was 15 the first time I read it so I should read it again.

LT

• #8 is bogus. Me-264 didn’t have the range unless it was a one way trip.

• IL lol,  :lol: it deffinetly was not worth the effort then.  :|

• I had no idea about # 10. I guess I should read a D-Day book some day. The Germans did have a bomber capable of a one way trip to New York. I have forgotten which one I guess the Me 264 would have been it.

• They had a number of competing projects from Heinkel, Messerschmidt, Junkers, and Focke-Wulf . The only tangible thing was supporting long range recon bombers to point out where the U-boats could be sent too but Goering shot that idea down because it would prove a tugging influence against control of the air force. Other ideas consisted of either mid Atlantic refueling of planes by submarines or dumping the plane and pickup by U-boat and/or installing floats for the bombers so they can land on the ocean and be salvaged, but again Goering would have none of this. No cooperation from air and sea forces was critical to deny the success of these programs.

Then last idea was considered was direct occupation of Azores but events in Russia and parachute losses at Crete sealed the fate of this idea as well.

• The  Me-264 could reach New York City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_264

The Me-264 had a range of 9,500 miles.

I used google earth to map the distance from the following:

Quimper, France: 3,376 miles
    Brest, France: 3,350 miles

I don’t know if they could carry a payload and make it that far or not.

I also don’t know if the two above cities in France even have an air field.  I figure that was minor they are easy enough to build. I just picked those places b/c they seem to be larger cities that were “close.”

LT

• '19 Moderator

well considering the fact that only 1 prototype ever made it into the air it’s kind of a moot point.  That prototype was destroyed in 1944 on the ground just like the first two(before they flew).

So technicaly they didn’t have a bomber that could reach NY… :wink:

• Well, yes they were destroyed.  I wonder if they could have made a trans-Atlantic with or without a payload.

LT

• CINCUS Commander in Chief, United States (obsolete form for Commander in Chief United States Naval Forces)

LT

• @LT04:

I read D-Day but it felt like I was drinking off of a fire hose with all that information thrown at me.  But I was 15 the first time I read it so I should read it again.

LT

I know what you mean.  Too many POVs going back and forth, and lots of stuff in between.  Still a good read for all the WTF? moments.

Talking about the Me-264 is bringing back memories playing Secret Weapons Over Normandy. :)

• Looks like someone’s been hanging around the making history site  :-D

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_G10N

this is kinda crazy… Japan really had some plans as well.

• If i remember correctly they were also experimenting with bubonic plague as a biological weapon and nearly made an attack on san fransisco with it but disagreement from the navy prevented it.

• Yea and those stupid ballons… at least this bomber looks like something decent It looks like a B-52

• How many engins does the Nakajima G10N have?  In some pictures I see 4 and others I see 6.  Are they diffrent variations?

LT

• '19 Moderator

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m