• I’ve been meaning to bone up on this and mention it for a while. I’ll just throw up some numbers and I’m sure everyone will pick up what I’m puuting down.

M4A1 Sherman front armor 100mm, rear armor 15mm. AAM defense 5/4

KV-1 front armor 100mm, rear armor 75mm. AAM defense 6/6 with hulking mass SA. My favorite Russian tank BTW.

IS-2 front armor 150mm, rear armor 60mm. AAM defense 7/7 with superior armor 2 SA.

The IS-3 's front plate was 200mm I’m not sure on the rear. 100mm comes to mind but I’m probably wrong. Regardless it wasn’t 200mm. AAM defense 7/7 with superior armor 3 SA.

Jagdpanzer IV/48 front armor 80mm, rear armor 20mm. AAM defense 5/3 with superior frontal armor 2 SA. A Sherman is nearly twice the height of a Jagdpanzer IV so I get the frontal defense thing when comparing the two. You also have to consider armor slope, round traps, mantlet thickness and shape, turret vs no turret etc.

The Carro Armato has the highly flammable SA. Early Shermans brewed up all the time. That’s why the Germans called them Tommie cookers. After water jackets for the main gun round stowage were introduced this problem nearly went away. I don’t think the water jackets were on the M4A1. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

A well placed shot to the rear of a Sherman using a Mauser with AP bullets could stop a Sherman. Rear defense 4 my a$$.

I did reference some of the armor thicknesses from David Miller’s awesome book “The Great Book of Tanks”. If you don’t own a copy and like armor you need to get to the book store.

• Check out the new NA set, early sherman is highly flameable.

• @11HP20

I am a new player in this world of AAM and you have a point. I saw also a lot of differences between reality and the game.
    This game has it’s own “bugs”, I saw even some card drawings which were inaccurate, then the “Year” of some units is wrong and so on, not even mentioning the stats of other units… Hopefully, little by little the game designers will adjust some things. And they did, to be honest. They should continue improving the game.

As a solution, you can build your own “house rules” (as I found out) in which you can change some historically inaccurate data.

regards,

• I guess the brewing up problem with the Shermans had been fixed on the A1 models Half-Track. I’m guessing from your name you like half tracks. If so I have a story about something you would have loved to have seen. My battalion in Germany had an M-3 for a parade vehicle. Our BC had mounts added to all four corners of the box for M-60’s and MILES gear added to the thing. On a training exercise he manned the fifty with guys on the M-60’s and rode through a valley shooting anything the bad guys moved. They went from one side to the other without taking a hit. It was so funny everything stopped for a minute and everyone watched. You don’t see an M-3 blazing away and driving past an M-1A1 everyday. Not on the subject I just felt like sharing it.

I understand the game will never be completely accurate for playability purposes RedBaron. So I don’t think we should want it to be totally accurate stat wise. Still closer would be nice. But you mentioned the years of some units and drawlings too. It’s not that much to ask that they get those right for sure. It would be nice to have the game develop to the point where people don’t feel the need for many house rules. I don’t like playing a game at two different places using two sets of rules. It’s one of my peeves.

• @11HP20:

I guess the brewing up problem with the Shermans had been fixed on the A1 models Half-Track. I’m guessing from your name you like half tracks. If so I have a story about something you would have loved to have seen. My battalion in Germany had an M-3 for a parade vehicle. Our BC had mounts added to all four corners of the box for M-60’s and MILES gear added to the thing. On a training exercise he manned the fifty with guys on the M-60’s and rode through a valley shooting anything the bad guys moved. They went from one side to the other without taking a hit. It was so funny everything stopped for a minute and everyone watched. You don’t see an M-3 blazing away and driving past an M-1A1 everyday. Not on the subject I just felt like sharing it.

I understand the game will never be completely accurate for playability purposes RedBaron. So I don’t think we should want it to be totally accurate stat wise. Still closer would be nice. But you mentioned the years of some units and drawlings too. It’s not that much to ask that they get those right for sure. It would be nice to have the game develop to the point where people don’t feel the need for many house rules. I don’t like playing a game at two different places using two sets of rules. It’s one of my peeves.

So you’re a vet?

• Yup. The unit I refered to was 2/6 INF, !st AD. I was in E co. with the rest of the tank busters. Hence my user name. I see your 2nd AD avatar. Is that a former or current unit of your’s?

• Great… I used to play with quite a few vets… they loved this game but were unhappy with some of the unit stats also.  If you check out HBF, I think you might be more satified.

In the meantime why don’t you try playing a game with us?

http://www.hbfronts.com/

• How does an online game work? The reason I ask is my crappy dial up dies a lot and some things just won’t work. I used to be able to listen to indoor football games but now I can’t. Certain forums cause my AOL to turn off. I used to go to an indoor football chat room on game nights and now that goes spas on me. Everyone in my area is having the same problems. I wish high speed would get here. Price of living in the sticks.

• We “play-by-forum” using a tool that is pretty much designed for disconnect play.  It’s not designed for real-time games, its meant for turn-based games.

Dice are rolled via this forum (A&A.org) so if you are reading this then your connection is good enbough to play by.  The map is file-based, meaning you make your moves on a virtual map that sits in a file on your PC (no online needed to do so).  When your move is complete, you then attach it to the thread in this fprum that you are using for your game.  Your opponent then grabs that file and makes his moves in it.  You just keep swapping back and forth over the course of a few days.  People typically will do a turn a day, so every evening when you are ready for “game time” you do a turn.

The top thread in this forum has the program you need to play with (MapView), and in the “Play Miniatures” forum section here has games going that you can sample to see how its done.  Half the fun is checking out other people’s games!

Mot

• @Motdc:

Half the fun is checking out other people’s games!

Mot

Mot scouts out weeknesses in his opponents!!!

• '19 Moderator

I hope you mean scouts, because what you said is just weird…

• Thanks Mot. That’s two downloads I’ll have to do. I’m guessing neither is the size of TripleA but to give you an idea of what my connection is like TripleA took nearly 4 hours to download. I’ll get to those when I have the time. Soon enough I’ll can this sh!t connection.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m