I like the idea of the EI IC in theory but in reality as the others have pointed out it just doesn’t seem worth it.  I’ve thought about it a lot and it always comes down to the fact that I can’t justify putting an IC that far away from Russia.

My view on IC’s is their #1 goal should be to shorten supply lines and second would be number of units placed.  I’d much rather have an IC on Sin or Novo then I would on EI.  I may place two less units but by the time you get the 4 EI units to Sin I’ve placed 4 so it is even.

I even tend to view a J Sin IC over a J Ind IC.  I get one less unit, but from Sin I can threaten Mos and Cauc and reinforce Kaz or Novo.

• :-o
    I always pave the roads between the Japan sea and Russia with I.C.s!
      Infantry Carcuses, that is  :-D.
      Really though, FIC, India, and Manchuria are your best bets, and I usually get them all built before I lose the game. Or sometimes win. :roll:
    I like to get the best bang for my buck, so I will eventually be cranking out nothing but tanks, and 9 tanks a turn, within 2 moves to Moscow is the kind of pressure I prefer to put on old Stalin. :wink:

• Well ….  alright bunny. I guess I got what I asked for. Yes, your second post was a novel, and although alot of it said “it depends on what allies do”, and some of it ignored points I made in previous posts, it was much more useful than your first post. You have obviously had much more time to analyse and weigh different approaches to this game than I have, as I first discovered the revised verion in dec of last year, and only recently began to read forums on strategy.

Im sure others have thought through the entire gambit of an EI IC. This is why i posed the idea to the forum for discussion, as I AM EVALUATING the merit of it. So detailed reasons are very helpful to me, instead of “your idea stinks!!”. First off, Any AandA strat considered always “depends” on what the allies do. That is a given. Id say an US :“KJF” strat is certianly not a time to build an island IC that needs naval support. agreed. UK making a stand in India is not necessarily a deal breaker though. Ur japanese fleet should be in the Indian ocean in this case anyhow, so providing cover is natural. As far as bypassing other island targets, i never stated that this was necessary, in fact i stated i usually hit at least Australia, “dependant on allied position” OF COURSE!

And once again you compared the EI IC to two mainland IC. When I specifically stated i planned on 1 mainland IC and 1 EI IC. So as far as builds, yes, you are constrained to building at least 2 inf. But a build of 2 inf and 5 tanks doesnt seem too bad. What is funny is at the very same time you chastise me about making asumptions, you make asumptions about what i “always” do. Any Japan strat is dependent on allied position. this I consider a given.

So reasons why I gave thought to the EI IC was brought up by another poster. I want to contend early and often in africa. So given that assumption, that the allied positon makes it possible for Japan to contend in Africa, is the setup of 1 IC in FIC and 1 IC in india, better than 1 IC EI and 1 IC India? That is what I am evaulating. with the EI IC, in 1 turn i get inf to egypt which can be followed up by tanks from india. But I understand that a dedicated US will out muscle me unless i divert many troops from russia.

This begs to question, what does an axis player do about the africa problem?

Lets be careful about yelling at me for what I always do, as I attempted this idea twice in a “game”.  :)

• 2007 AAR League

@AxisOfEvil:

So as far as builds, yes, you are constrained to building at least 2 inf. But a build of 2 inf and 5 tanks doesnt seem too bad.

2 inf, 5 arm is a nice build from the IC’s but in order to build that and still fill 4 TP out of Japan with minimum 8 inf, Japan needs to be earning 55 IPC’s. In my opinion, many people make this very mistake, when they are calculating Japanese builds, as well as another mistake I’ll detail later.

55 IPC’s is hard to come by for Japan. Short of owning Caucasus, it pretty much means that Japan owns all the Pacific IPC’s, Madagascar as well as some other African IPC’s, and either owns or is regularly trading Novosibirsk and Kazakh. That’s endgame kind of money so I never count on it it when I do my build predictions for the majority of Japan’s turns. You could say that you won’t be building 8 units out of Japan to make that 2 inf, 5 arm build happen but, again, that only happens in the endgame when you’re making that final push for Caucasus or Russia. If you aren’t building to max out Japan’s production(in your case 15 units) with infantry first, and then upgrading inf to art or arm second, income permitting, then you are probably doing something wrong.

The second mistake I mentioned doesn’t have anything specific to do with the E Indies IC in particular but it does factor into all of Japan’s IC’s. I kind of cringe when I see people build their Japanese armor in their forward IC’s and infantry in Japan. Armor will easily catch up to infantry but not the other way around. So if you’re building 2 inf, 5 armor out of the E Indies and FIC IC’s, you’re usually hamstringing yourself. Not always, but usually.

@AxisOfEvil:

Well, you already detailed the biggest obstacle for the Axis in Africa. Generally, the US will muscle you out of Africa. There are things Japan can do to make it costly for the US, but don’t ever count on owning more than a few IPC’s once the US gets rolling. Personally, I like to use the 2 BB’s to bleed them with a landing of 1 inf, and use my other TP’s to either land in IEA, Kenya, or SAF to force them to divert units away from the push toward Caucasus.

And that is another drawback with the East Indies IC. You can’t do the 1 inf backed up with 2 BB’s landing because it would mean not landing a full TP out of E Indies. You also can’t land in SAF or Kenya because it’s out of range of the TP shuffle. In both of those cases it would require yet another TP to implement. With the East Indies IC, you’re committed to landing 4 units every turn whether you want to or not. If all you want to do is move 1 unit somewhere, you’re SOL unless you spring for another TP for that flexibility.

• @AxisOfEvil:

Well ….  alright bunny. I guess I got what I asked for. Yes, your second post was a novel, and although alot of it said “it depends on what allies do”, and some of it ignored points I made in previous posts, it was much more useful than your first post. You have obviously had much more time to analyse and weigh different approaches to this game than I have, as I first discovered the revised verion in dec of last year, and only recently began to read forums on strategy.

Im sure others have thought through the entire gambit of an EI IC. This is why i posed the idea to the forum for discussion, as I AM EVALUATING the merit of it. So detailed reasons are very helpful to me, instead of “your idea stinks!!”. First off, Any AandA strat considered always “depends” on what the allies do. That is a given. Id say an US :“KJF” strat is certianly not a time to build an island IC that needs naval support. agreed. UK making a stand in India is not necessarily a deal breaker though. Ur japanese fleet should be in the Indian ocean in this case anyhow, so providing cover is natural. As far as bypassing other island targets, i never stated that this was necessary, in fact i stated i usually hit at least Australia, “dependant on allied position” OF COURSE!

And once again you compared the EI IC to two mainland IC. When I specifically stated i planned on 1 mainland IC and 1 EI IC. So as far as builds, yes, you are constrained to building at least 2 inf. But a build of 2 inf and 5 tanks doesnt seem too bad. What is funny is at the very same time you chastise me about making asumptions, you make asumptions about what i “always” do. Any Japan strat is dependent on allied position. this I consider a given.

So reasons why I gave thought to the EI IC was brought up by another poster. I want to contend early and often in africa. So given that assumption, that the allied positon makes it possible for Japan to contend in Africa, is the setup of 1 IC in FIC and 1 IC in india, better than 1 IC EI and 1 IC India? That is what I am evaulating. with the EI IC, in 1 turn i get inf to egypt which can be followed up by tanks from india. But I understand that a dedicated US will out muscle me unless i divert many troops from russia.

Lets be careful about yelling at me for what I always do, as I attempted this idea twice in a “game”.  :)

You didn’t read a thing I wrote.   :roll:

What a waste of time!

See, you go and ask for an in-detail explanation.  I give it to you.  Then you totally ignore what the h*** I wrote and say I wrote a lot of stuff I didn’t, and say I didn’t write a lot of stuff I did.

I don’t blame you though.  I know you’re blonde.

• @U-505:

2 inf, 5 arm is a nice build from the IC’s but in order to build that and still fill 4 TP out of Japan with minimum 8 inf, Japan needs to be earning 55 IPC’s. In my opinion, many people make this very mistake, when they are calculating Japanese builds, as well as another mistake I’ll detail later.

Thanks U 505. Good points. i agree with all. I am also a big believing in inf first, followed by tanks. My reference to the 2inf 5arm build was in response to the argument that the EI IC didnt allow the felxibilty of an all tanks build.

Yeah. I am certainly on the side of not supporting an EI IC at this point. I first explored it in order to have a stronger presence in the indian ocean, and contend for africa. Africa is a money pit against a good allied opponent, better to do as you said and just annoy the USA in africa.

• @Bunnies:

You didn’t read a thing I wrote.   :roll:

Yeah sorry Bunny. I ran out of energy, (and time at work), to read the second post. I just read now. Good info, thank you. That sonds like the ideal Japan strat. I see too many player buyinf too many IC too fast. Thanks.

• @AxisOfEvil:

Yeah sorry Bunny. I ran out of energy, (and time at work), to read the second post.

My text wall gom jabbar claims another victim!  :lol:

• @Bunnies:

@AxisOfEvil:

Yeah sorry Bunny. I ran out of energy, (and time at work), to read the second post.

My text wall gom jabbar claims another victim!   :lol:

Is this similiar to Mr. T’s Jibber Jabbering?

• @AxisOfEvil:

@Bunnies:

@AxisOfEvil:

My text wall gom jabbar claims another victim!  :lol:

Is this similiar to Mr. T’s Jibber Jabbering?

Tanks are STRONG!!!

(and you can only get two of them from EI to asia each turn!)

• @TimTheEnchanter:

Tanks are STRONG!!!

(and you can only get two of them from EI to asia each turn!)

C-SUB representing!  In da house!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m