Antiaircraft hits - who decides casualty?

• If a fighter and a bomber fly over an antiaircraft gun to attack a territory, how is the antiaircraft casualty chosen?

1. One interpretation of the rules says you roll one dice for the fighter, and if it rolls a one, then the fighter is hit.  Then roll a second dice for the bomber, and if it rolls a one, then the bomber is hit.

2. Another interpretation of the rules says you roll two dice and if either rolls a one, the attacker choses to lose the fighter or bomber.

The revised rules that I have say on pages 12 and 13:
    Antiaircraft Guns:
    Antiaircraft guns can never move in this phase; they can make noncombat moves only. However, they can make a special attack in this phase only. Whenever an air unit moves into a hostile territory containing an antiaircraft gun, the gun gets a chance to shoot it down.

The air unit’s controller plots its path using the numbered punchout markers to indicate each space in which combat may occur (the first space is 1, the second 2, and so on). Whenever an air unit encounters enemy antiaircraft guns, resolve combat separately in each space along its path, starting with the first.

Every time an antiaircraft gun in a territory is overflown by air units, it shoots once at each air unit that enters. (Only one antiaircraft gun per territory can fire, however.) If the gun misses, the air unit may continue its move.

Craig

• AA gun shots are directed fire (i.e., shoots at EACH air unit).  Therefore, you roll a specific die for each plane.  So, in your example, if the die rolled for the bomber is a “1”, the bomber dies.  If the other die instead is a “1”, then the fighter dies.  Pretty straightforward.

• Official Q&A

@Gamer:

AA gun shots are directed fire (i.e., shoots at EACH air unit).  Therefore, you roll a specific die for each plane.

Not exactly.  According to the FAQ, you don’t literally roll a specific die for each plane, you just roll for the bombers and the fighters separately.  It’s still up to the air units’ owning player which individual units are hit within that type.  This makes a difference only insofar as choosing to lose a plane that has travelled further to the combat in order to allow more flexibility in where to move surviving planes after combat.

The purpose of this rule is simply to keep the owning player from assigning all AA hits to fighters rather than bombers.

• This is a difference between the out of box rules and LHTR.

The Box rules state that ALL aircraft are rolled for. LHTR breaks it down between bombers and fighters.

• Official Q&A

No, the box rules and LHTR are the same in this matter.  From the FAQ:

Is anti-aircraft fire targeted against specific aircraft?
    Yes. In practice, you can roll a handful of dice against all enemy fighters, then roll another handful against all enemy bombers. The reason for this rule is so that bombers will be forced to take hits from AA guns.

• long live Krieg

or should i say Kaiser

8-) :lol: :mrgreen:

• You roll all of the FIGs, and you roll all of hte BOMs.

Once the number of hits on each type of aircraft is determined, the owner of those aircraft determine which specific unit(s) (the one that started in X territory or in Y sea zone) of each type actually die.

• @Krieghund:

@Gamer:

AA gun shots are directed fire (i.e., shoots at EACH air unit).  Therefore, you roll a specific die for each plane.

Not exactly.  According to the FAQ, you don’t literally roll a specific die for each plane, you just roll for the bombers and the fighters separately.  It’s still up to the air units’ owning player which individual units are hit within that type.  This makes a difference only insofar as choosing to lose a plane that has travelled further to the combat in order to allow more flexibility in where to move surviving planes after combat.

The purpose of this rule is simply to keep the owning player from assigning all AA hits to fighters rather than bombers.

Krieg, thanks for the clarification.  You are correct.  I think Triple A automatically assigns the hit to the plane traveling farthest, which is virtually always what you would prefer.

• @Gamer:

@Krieghund:

@Gamer:

Krieg, thanks for the clarification.  You are correct.  I think Triple A automatically assigns the hit to the plane traveling farthest, which is virtually always what you would prefer.

I thought Triplea picked the individual planes by random.  I’m pretty sure I’ve had battles where I was left with fewer movement points than I expected.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m