• This issue came up yestarday during a game…

A Soldier is mounted on a Vehicle with Transport ability. Enemy Soldiers are in the very same hex, but no friendly Soldiers so there is room for the Soldier to dismount into the same hex as the Vehicle carying him.

The question is, does this dismount (or the reverse, if the Solder was in the hex and wanted to mount the Vehicle) give a Defensive Fire opportunity?

The rulebook says:

A unit provokes defensive fire when it moves from one hex adjacent to an enemy unit into another hex adjacent to that same enemy unit. The hex a unit is in counts as adjacent to that unit.

So, assuming my english does not fail me, dismounting on the same hex or mounting a vehicle (same hex by default) does not give a Defensive Fire opportunity.

Of course it is quite probable that when this rule was written, mounting and dismounting Vehicles was not taken into account, hence the wording, so I searched for any errata, FAQ or clarification regarding this. The only reference I was able to found was this:

I realize that Dismounting from a Transport into the same hex as the Transport itself doesn’t trigger Defensive Fire or a Movement Roll of any kind.

… in this thread. It is part of the question and not the answer, but the answer does not contradict it. In fact all subsequent discussion about DF clearly stipulates dismounting in an adjacent hex and not the one the transport is in. So, all my information points to a negative answer, regarding same hex dismounts drawing DF.

Does anyone have additional information, or a different opinion?

• Dismounting into the same hex as the vehicles will not trigger DF, and you covered why in your descussion very well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m