• Hello.
    It’s been a loooong time since I played and I forgot some stuff… can someone please clarify 3 points for me?

1.  transports…  How many troops can each transport hold?  and when can you load them (combat or non combat move?)  and I take it they have to be right next to land to load?

and when can you unload them?  during a combat move and can you unload and fight all in the same turn?

2. submarines.  can you explain the submerged vs. non-submerged and when they can switch back and forth and when they can attack?

3.  carriers.  how many planes can be on a carrier and can you put them there at the end of your turn once you buy one?  can you fly one of your existing planes from the land onto them at any time?
    4. in each territory there is a circled number… what does that represent?

oh, and at the end of your turn when you get to place your bought units, you can only place them in territories where an industrial complex is correct?

thank you very much  :-D

• Going to try to answer each of these for you…
    Answers are based on LHTR…

1.  TRN can load at ANY point in their move, but they can only load/move in either combat or non-combat, not both.  Once a TRN offloads anything, its move is done.

2.  SUBs can submerge after any round of combat during a move (attacker or defender).  They re-surface at the end of the national turn that they submerged on (Germany SUB attacking a UK fleet, submerges during combat and resurfaces at the end of Germany’s move).  ALL SUBS ARE ON THE SURFACE AT THE END OF ANY GIVEN NATIONAL MOVE.

3.  AC’s can carrier up to 2 FIGs.  Newly purchased FIGs can be placed on existing AC’s IF the AC is adjacent to the IC that is building the FIG.

4.  The number in each territory is the IPC value of that territory.

5.  Units can only be placed where you have an Industrial Complex, with a limit of the the number of units placed being equal to the IPC value of the territory that has the complex.  EXCEPTION:  You can place an IC, BUT NO OTHER UNITS, in any territory you owned at the start of your move (that territory must also have an IPC value…  IC’s are not permitted in Greenland, Wake Island, Solomon Islands, or any other territory that has no IPC value)

• @ncscswitch:

3.  […]  Newly purchased FIGs can be placed on existing AC’s IF the AC is adjacent to the IC that is building the FIG.

Are you sure?
    I thought, that newly build FIGs can be placed on AC in next sea zone only if the AC is build in the same turn?!

• I am going by the current version of LHTR.  There are several variants on this in different rule sets.

• @ncscswitch:

I am going by the current version of LHTR.  There are several variants on this in different rule sets.

Ok, you are right. I have overlook that “LHTR” in you previous mail. Sorry for that … :(

• Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions…

Ncscswitch… I have a couple follow-up questions.

regarding transports, can you load, move and them unload all in the same move?  combat or non-combat?  or do you have to wait to unload on your next turn? and how many moves is that?  in other words, trns can move 2 I belive, so is loading and then moving one space considered 2 moves?

and i guess the same rules apply to loading a carrier with planes?

also can somebody please explain how the strategic economic bombing works?

• @kfgolfer:

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions…

Ncscswitch… I have a couple follow-up questions.

regarding transports, can you load, move and them unload all in the same move?  combat or non-combat?  or do you have to wait to unload on your next turn? and how many moves is that?  in other words, trns can move 2 I belive, so is loading and then moving one space considered 2 moves?

Ok, I’m not switch, but I’ll try to help as well.

TRNs can definitely load, move and unload in the same turn.  Furthermore the load and unload have no impact on the trn’s movement points (other than the fact that as soon as a trn unloads it ends it’s turn even if it has move points left.

So for instance, a trn in sz10  can move load an inf from East US before moving, move 1 space to sz9 and load an armor from E.Canada, move it’s second space to sz12, and unload in algeria all during a single movement phase (either combat or non-combat depending on whether algeria is friendly)

Also note that units loading and offloading may not move before or after loading and unloading.  The units must start their turn in the territory where they get on the boat, and they must end their turn in the territory where they unload.  This even applies to 2-move units like tanks.  They can, however partake in battle (see amphibious assaults) in that territory when they land.

@kfgolfer:

and i guess the same rules apply to loading a carrier with planes?

Nope.  At the start of a turn, planes of the power/nation whose turn it is are assumed to go into the air.  The planes can use their 4 spaces during combat, non-combat or both (landing after a combat mission) but this is always measured from the place where they start their turn.  The carrier moves its 2 spaces and the figs move their 4 spaces independently.  (You can not, for example, move the carrier 2 spaces, then move the figs an additional 4 spaces)  One can move in combat and the other in non-combat if you want. But for any fig to land on the carrier it must end its turn in the same sea zone that the carrier ends its turn.  Once a fig lands on the carrier, the carrier must stop there.

So for example, a us carrier with 2 figs starts in sz10. Let’s also assume the us has another fig in caucasus  During combat, one fig flies from sz10 to algeria (3 spaces) and the other fig and carrier fight a sea battle  in sz12(2 spaces) to make way for the landing.  during combat, the fig from sz12 can land in the UK, the fig from algeria can land on the carrier, and the fig from caucasus can fly out on a strictly non-combat flight and land on the carrier in sz12 as well.

Note: an exception to both of these is if the transport or carrier has units owned by a friendly power on it (e.g., a US carrier carrying UK figs).  These are considered cargo and they just sit there for the ride during the turn the boat is moved.  They get on during their own turn. They must sit on the boat for 1 turn even if it doesn’t move. Then they can unload on their own next turn

also can somebody please explain how the strategic economic bombing works?

Strategic Bombing Raids (SBR) in 4 easy steps

1. during combat move, send a bomber to an enemy territory with an IC
    2. During combat resolve any AA fire if necessary, then assuming you plane wasn’t shot down by AAs, roll 1 die for SBR damage
    3. Whatever you rolled on that one die, take that many IPC’s away from that power and return them to the bank
    4. land your bomber in friendly territory during non-combat like you would land any attacking plane

• Thanks Tim… I understand everything perfectly now… I really appreciate the detailed response.  This game is hard to nail down all the rules at first, but it’s so much fun… My 15 year old son is really enjoying it with me.

• @kfgolfer:

2. submarines.  can you explain the submerged vs. non-submerged and when they can switch back and forth and when they can attack?

A) Fricking subs…

B) Tanks are STRONG!

• Actually, one clarification to the SBRs:

on #3, I should have said “Whatever you rolled on that one die, take that many IPC’s away from that power and return them to the bank up to the IPC value of the territory”  If you SBR Caucasus and roll a 5 or 6, the enemy only loses 4 because that’s all the territory is worth.

Also, just to be clear, all my commentary assumes LHTR.

• @TimTheEnchanter:

….and return them to the bank…

No I dont think that is a good idea. Now when you bomb an enemy factory I think the enemy money should be destroyed. Burn them up with a matchstick and be a real american. Only a whimp will return the money to the bank.

• :|
    There is no such thing as a “dumb” Newbie question.
    Only the question of; “a dumb Newbie” is plausible.
    And if a Newbie is asking for advice on this site, then he may not be dumb,
    Gullible maybe, but certainly not dumb.  :-P

This observation is coming from a guy who calls himself; Crazy Ivan!

Please ignore the crazy man, he has had 4 hours of sleep in the past 30 hours  :-o

:-D……Gaming, gaming, gaming… :-P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m